HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:47 PM

Phase 1 B-Lines

Hello all!

This is my first new thread and I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I think it would be a good idea to have a thread monitoring the new B-Lines! Currently, TransLink is visiting municipal councils to discuss the results of the B-Line consultations and what the cities can do to reduce travel times for B-Lines.

Fraser Highway B-Line:
Up to 70 minutes by transit currently, aiming for 44 minutes with transit priority measures. It will have live next-bus timers upon opening. Langley City voted to support the transit priority and bus lane recommendations from TransLink.
https://sfb.nathanpachal.com/2018/07...ut-travel.html

North Shore B-Line:
West Vancouver voted to support TransLink's recommendations.
https://westvancouver.ca/sites/defau.../18jul09-7.pdf (end of the minutes)

Lougheed Highway B-Line:
Pitt Meadows is slated to receive a presentation from TransLink about the Lougheed Highway B-Line on July 17.

41st Avenue B-Line:
No new info

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 4:47 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

For Fraser Highway, Surrey needs to allow bus lanes in both directions, especially through the green area.

For that part, I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Environmental stewardship is no excuse for subpar infrastructure.

Also where’s Richmond’s? (Sorry the Richmondite in me comes right out. Every now and then I feel that Richmond and Delta receive the shorter end of the stick for these things.)

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 6:01 AM

Vancouver`s B-Line system has been a stellar success and an excellent example of good transit planning and proof that rapid, reliable transit does not require gobs of money and decades to implement ie Toronto.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
For Fraser Highway, Surrey needs to allow bus lanes in both directions, especially through the green area.

For that part, I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Environmental stewardship is no excuse for subpar infrastructure.

Also where’s Richmond’s? (Sorry the Richmondite in me comes right out. Every now and then I feel that Richmond and Delta receive the shorter end of the stick for these things.)
It's in Phase 2, along with the Scott Road B Line. It's planning isn't nearly as complete as it was just approved.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin4567 View Post
It's in Phase 2, along with the Scott Road B Line. It's planning isn't nearly as complete as it was just approved.
How much planning do they need to do? We already know it's the 319 and 430 routes, so all that's physically required is deciding where the stops will be. Yes behind the scenes there will need to be enough vehicles and drivers but that's nothing new.

This Daily Hive article from March talks about upcoming B-Lines in some detail.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 4:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Deleted

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jul 16, 2018 at 4:47 PM. Reason: I don’t wanna go off topic.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
How much planning do they need to do? We already know it's the 319 and 430 routes, so all that's physically required is deciding where the stops will be. Yes behind the scenes there will need to be enough vehicles and drivers but that's nothing new.
Signal priority, bus lane, queue jumper, intersection improvement, stops requirements, passenger amenity, etc.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 7:27 PM

In some way they are usually replacing high frequency routes with articulated buses so it might not be a drastic change but implementing all the changes above make it more "subway" like than just switching to longer buses.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
In some way they are usually replacing high frequency routes with articulated buses so it might not be a drastic change but implementing all the changes above make it more "subway" like than just switching to longer buses.
Exactly. It's somewhat like a SkyTrain on the ground (called "Bus Rapid

Surrey's Transportation and Infrastructure Committee will be receiving an update on their segment of the new Fraser Highway B-Line today. Should be interesting to see where they want the bus lanes and signal priority.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 8:13 PM

@ Admins

Can't we just move discussion into the other threads? E.g. Discuss the Fraser Highway B-Line in the South of Fraser rapid transit thread, and talk about the other three in the Metro Vancouver Transit Discussion thread

Or just discuss everything in the Metro Vancouver transit thread and achieve the minimum number of threads (I mean there's always CPTDB for anything related to the bus network but I think account application nowadays is kinda tedious to help against spam accounts)

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 9:00 PM

41st B-line will always have the same issues that the 43 does. Nothing is express through Kerrisdale during the day, and it will always be a choke point.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 9:05 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcduff View Post
41st B-line will always have the same issues that the 43 does. Nothing is express through Kerrisdale during the day, and it will always be a choke point.
How will people react if the city decides to ban roadside parking on 41st there? (I'm just looking at google map streetview right now.)
I mean, if the city does move on with that decision, I can see those lanes being used for buses at least during rush hour, if not between 6 am and 10 pm on weekdays and from 8 am to 8pm on weekends and holidays.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
How will people react if the city decides to ban roadside parking on 41st there? (I'm just looking at google map streetview right now.)
I mean, if the city does move on with that decision, I can see those lanes being used for buses at least during rush hour, if not between 6 am and 10 pm on weekdays and from 8 am to 8pm on weekends and holidays.
Most of Kerrisdale is probably voting NPA anyway, so I can't imagine much difference. Bus lanes might be more favourable than bike lanes though.

Last edited by Migrant_Coconut; Jul 17, 2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 12:00 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Most of Kerrisdale is probably voting NPA anyway, so I can't imagine much difference. Bus lanes might be more favourable than bus lanes though.
You mean HOV lanes might be more favourable than bus lanes??

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
You mean HOV lanes might be more favourable than bus lanes??
Goddamn, the ONE time I don't go back and check for typos. Fixed.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Signal priority, bus lane, queue jumper, intersection improvement, stops requirements, passenger amenity, etc.
I haven't ridden all the B-Lines - how many of them have all of those things?

Quote:
Considering road expansion (for this and many other locations NoF) is unlikely to happen, removing on-street parking looks to be the only way to increase capacity. Still I can imagine there will be plenty of people unhappy about it.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I haven't ridden all the B-Lines - how many of them have all of those things?

Considering road expansion (for this and many other locations NoF) is unlikely to happen, removing on-street parking looks to be the only way to increase capacity. Still I can imagine there will be plenty of people unhappy about it.
The 98 was the closest we have gotten to a full BRT.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 4:00 PM

TransLink presented to Pitt Meadows council yesterday. TransLink is targeting a 35-minute time in the PM peak between Coquitlam Central and Haney Place, with extensive que jumping between Coquitlam Central and the Pitt River Bridge, and full on dedicated lanes from the Pitt Meadows side of the bridge through to the Dewdney/Lougheed meeting point in Ridge. Council asked TransLink for 2 additional stops and a Park And Ride at Harris Road/Lougheed. Overall, I was really impressed.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin4567 View Post
TransLink presented to Pitt Meadows council yesterday. TransLink is targeting a 35-minute time in the PM peak between Coquitlam Central and Haney Place, with extensive que jumping between Coquitlam Central and the Pitt River Bridge, and full on dedicated lanes from the Pitt Meadows side of the bridge through to the Dewdney/Lougheed meeting point in Ridge. Council asked TransLink for 2 additional stops and a Park And Ride at Harris Road/Lougheed. Overall, I was really impressed.
Awesome. I wonder how they're gonna handle the bridge over the Coquitlam River to Westwood St. Seems like that is the bottleneck in the area that won't be cheap to overcome.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POCO View Post
Awesome. I wonder how they're gonna handle the bridge over the Coquitlam River to Westwood St. Seems like that is the bottleneck in the area that won't be cheap to overcome.
When TransLink visited Coquitlam's Council-in-Committee last week (the 9th if I remember correctly) they said that the bridge over the river needs to be replaced anyways within the somewhat-near term (the impression I got is within 10 years) as it's approaching its end of life, and that they'll be looking into adding capacity for the bridge and maybe even more transit priority at that point.

Personal thought, but I think eventually when the replacement bridge is built they'll end up having dedicated bus lanes from Coquitlam Central straight through to Pitt Meadows and maybe even into Ridge. This isn't in the plan yet but it may become part of it as traffic swells.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure