HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 4:09 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
I really don't.
You don't care about skyscrapers or supertalls?

You're lucky you'll never have to see them going up in your lifetime then.

haha

For me, I love skyscrapers - that's why I joined this site, much better than urbantoronto, cause I get to see skyscrapers going up not only in different parts of Canada but also around the world.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
You don't care about skyscrapers or supertalls?

You're lucky you'll never have to see them going up in your lifetime then.

haha
Man are we ever thick today.

The question asked by the OP was when will TO get a super tall. I personally don't care, so I voiced my opinion on the subject. Clear enough for ya?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 4:16 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Man are we ever thick today.

The question asked by the OP was when will TO get a super tall. I personally don't care, so I voiced my opinion on the subject. Clear enough for ya?
Obviously you cared enough to voice your opinion...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Obviously you cared enough to voice your opinion...

You seem to care too much of what I think. I know you're the center of the universe man, but don't get all upset just cause I don't care if you get a supertall or not.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 4:31 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
You seem to care too much of what I think. I know you're the center of the universe man, but don't get all upset just cause I don't care if you get a supertall or not.
I'm not upset if you care or not. Just funny if you don't care about something, why you found the need to post on it. It's kinda like me saying I don't care about skyscrapers, and then joining a skyscraper forum. Makes no sense.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 4:32 PM
Home of Hyperchange

A FAR more relevant question, considering the nature of most of the discussion so far:

When will Toronto get a Muslim mayor???

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 4:33 PM

Quote:
I'm not upset if you care or not. .
So why do you keep arguing with me about it?

And since you keep pressing the issue, I originally joined this board for general city discussion. Not skyscrapers precisely.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 4:33 PM
Back to Basics

The question should be rephrased to: "When will Canada get a Supertall?" to keep everyone happy. (Even though it will most likely be Toronto).

It is surprising that Canada still does not have one. Vietnam is getting one. Australia has them and they have two thirds of Canada's measly population.

Anyway... How about shifting the discussion to... Where and what would you have as Canada's first Supertall? Meaning: What would you like to see in a design and where would you put it?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 4:43 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

What city in Canada will get the first "hover skyscraper"?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 4:44 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
It is surprising that Canada still does not have one. Vietnam is getting one. Australia has them and they have two thirds of Canada's measly population.
They are all just compensating for their measly size in comparison to Canada, second largest country on earth.

Deal with it rest of the world (minus Russia).

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 4:47 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
The question should be rephrased to: "When will Canada get a Supertall?" to keep everyone happy. (Even though it will most likely be Toronto).

Anyway... How about shifting the discussion to... Where and what would you have as Canada's first Supertall? Meaning: What would you like to see in a design and where would you put it?
I agree with you here. Toronto should not have been in the thread title...

Everyone just has a hairball when that happens..

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 5:26 PM

Quote:
I agree with you here. Toronto should not have been in the thread title...

Everyone just has a hairball when that happens..
I don't really get that. I'd love it if it were in Calgary, but Toronto seems like a really reasonable candidate.

So, I have a question, as a rookie to this sort of thing: Under what circumstances are supertalls usually built? I can't really picture another Encana or something deciding to build a 500 meter tower in Calgary, for instance...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 5:32 PM

The closest we've ever come to a supertall in Toronto is Trump before it got shortened due to weak sales. My guess is that it's going to be some kind of hotel/residential combo with a healthy spire.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 5:39 PM

I can see Calgary or Edmonton with a supertall before Toronto.

I just dont think the appetite is there for one. Too many constraints and not enough demand.

I also think that anything that would interfere with the CN Tower's iconic and dominant place in the city would be greatly opposed.

Toronto's quest for the worlds biggest this or that fizzled sometime in the early 90's.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
I can see Calgary or Edmonton with a supertall before Toronto.

I just dont think the appetite is there for one. Too many constraints and not enough demand.
Yup, if there's one place in the world where there's little demand for new construction and development, it's Toronto. The lack of height limits is surely a massive restraint.

lol... Edmonton.

Quote:
I also think that anything that would interfere with the CN Tower's iconic and dominant place in the city would be greatly opposed.
There has never been a proposal rejected on that basis. Trump Toronto would have been a supertall if not for weak sales due to bad location. No one ever mentioned the CN Tower when that project got approved. Furthermore, there are parts of downtown Toronto where a supertall could be built without competing visually with the CN Tower, such as where Aura is currently being constructed.

Quote:
Toronto's quest for the worlds biggest this or that fizzled sometime in the early 90's.
We're not talking about Toronto building the world's biggest or tallest tower. We're just talking about Toronto building a supertall. So even if your statment were correct (which it's not) that would be irrelevant to this discussion.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 5:49 PM

Isn't the purpose of the CN tower to be the tallest structure in the city? It would look awkward having a supertall and then CNT sticking out all alone. The supertall would become the attraction of the city instead of CNT.

Also, don't most Canadian cities oppose the idea of supertalls? I know Vancouver does beacuse it inflicts the objective of improving overall livability. They would prefer to have greater overall density rather than a supertall.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
Isn't the purpose of the CN tower to be the tallest structure in the city? It would look awkward having a supertall and then CNT sticking out all alone. The supertall would become the attraction of the city instead of CNT.

Also, don't most Canadian cities oppose the idea of supertalls? I know Vancouver does beacuse it inflicts the objective of improving overall livability. They would prefer to have greater overall density rather than a supertall.
People really seem to be having a difficult time comprehending that "supertall" does not automatically equal the height of the CN Tower. First Canadian Place is 2 metres short of achieving supertall status. Would building another First Canadian Place somewhere in downtown Toronto look awkward?

A supertall at say, the southwest corner of Yonge and Bloor, would literally be on the other side of downtown than the CN Tower. They wouldn't be close enough together to look odd.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 5:58 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
The only thing limiting a supertall in Calgary are the restrictions on shadowing the south bank of the Bow river pathway. But there are MANY sites that can be built in the CBD that would still allow 1000'+.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 6:02 PM
gettin' rich!

Trump got shortened cuz, the National Club didnt want to sell their property to Talon Development. So they (Talon) had to rejig their plans, with a smaller floorplate and shorter tower.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 6:09 PM
Back to Basics

Cities all over the world have observation towers that are eventually surpassed in height by other structures (Ahem....cough... Calgary Tower) and yet the observation tower remains a tourist attraction. So the CN Tower is irrelevant in Toronto's quest for a Supertall. Furthermore, many cities in China are building observation towers right up close to Supertalls... Shanghai and Guangzhou come to mind.

Speaking of Guangzhou... Their International Finance Centre is what I am jealous of. I love its form, construction materials and sleek elegance. I think it would be a perfect fit in Toronto in the near future.

My first choice of where I would put it would be next to Bay Adelaide and right on Yonge where BA2 would go.

My second choice would be down by the LCBO. It would give a great balance with the CN Tower on the west and the CBD in the middle.

Sorry about the quick and dirty renders. I want to do one from a view from the islands but I`m still searching for some pics that will match... Give me a few minutes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada