HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 3:49 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
An unfortunate relic of '80s architecture. At least it looks better now than it did with the dirty-looking wood cladding.
With a few dollars it could modernized similar to what Toronto did with the ROM on Bloor St.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 3:55 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

That was a neat shot of Public Gardens. I have never seen it from above like that. Would be a heck of a few from a 50-60 storey tower built near it.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
An unfortunate relic of '80s architecture. At least it looks better now than it did with the dirty-looking wood cladding.

A valuable lesson to never buy architectural services via low-bid tender.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 5:13 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
A valuable lesson to never buy architectural services via low-bid tender.
something something something.. Keith saying that.... yet doesn't think too highly of the absolutely gorgeous library which is even more important to the city that the Maritime Museum. Jus'sayin..

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
something something something.. Keith saying that.... yet doesn't think too highly of the absolutely gorgeous library which is even more important to the city that the Maritime Museum. Jus'sayin..
Big difference between wasting money on designer imported architects just because you can, and having some bureaucrat sketch it on a napkin.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Big difference between wasting money on designer imported architects just because you can, and having some bureaucrat sketch it on a napkin.
The MMA, including the museum building, the adjacent boat sheds, and the restoration of the Robertson Hardware Building, was designed by architect Graeme Duffus, then of Duffus Romans Kundzins and Rounsefell. No napkins were involved.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 8:13 PM

I doubt he would be proud of that commission. I note he is no longer associated with the company bearing his name and now does small projects, largely centered on historic preservation. The original company still exists with new principals, and incredibly lists this project on their website as one of their accomplishments. I would deny any responsibility.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 9:29 AM

Quote:
I doubt he would be proud of that commission. I note he is no longer associated with the company bearing his name and now does small projects, largely centered on historic preservation. The original company still exists with new principals, and incredibly lists this project on their website as one of their accomplishments. I would deny any responsibility.
Mr. Duffus apparently does not agree. He devotes a paragraph to the project on his own c.v.

Prior to 1984, Mr. Duffus developed his architectural practice in association with Architectural Resource Consultants. From 1978-1982 Mr. Duffus was employed with Duffus Romans Kundzins and Rounsefell Limited where he was Project Architect for the Robertson's Hardware restoration, as part of the new Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. Mr Duffus also developed the conceptual design for this complex and designed the maritime vernacular boat sheds.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 7:18 AM

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 7:21 AM

by Hali87, on Flickr

The new building off Joseph Howe has a simple but cool uplighting effect at night, unfortunately my (phone) camera isn't great for night shots.

by Hali87, on Flickr

by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 1:39 AM
Dartmouth Girl

I snapped this from just at the top of Mt. Hope Avenue tonight after I got off work. Pretty crazy to think the massive forest fires in Saskatchewan and Alberta are making it this hazy here!

(click through for full res- not too bad for a phone panorama!)

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:09 AM
we built this city

Great pics! Nova Centre and other angles will be improved.

TD Centre fits in... looks like an older 'scraper in those shots... in a good way!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
I snapped this from just at the top of Mt. Hope Avenue tonight after I got off work. Pretty crazy to think the massive forest fires in Saskatchewan and Alberta are making it this hazy here!
Though the skylines are completely different, this reminds me of being at a high point somewhere in Queens, with a clear view over to midtown Manhattan. The haze really adds to the imagery that I have.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 12:39 AM

I want to see the aerial shots taken when the QM 2 circumnavigated Halifax harbour. The ship is back in Halifax on Thursday 16th July, often given as the date of the first arrival of the Cunard mail ship in 1840. Former Legislative librarian Phyllis Blakeley insists the ship arrived at 2 a.m on July 17 1840 http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/cunard_samuel_9E.html

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Here's a quick one with only a few projects:

I'd like to add the Roy Building, Discovery Centre, etc. Also I think the Bank of Canada is backwards -- I used the Hollis Street elevation and the eastern elevation may look different.

One interesting effect here is elevation of the different sites. TD is at about 10 m and the Nova Centre is at about 30 m so they both appear to be a little taller than they would around Lower Water Street (though they're also farther back -- they'll look quite tall in telephoto skyline shots though).
Not sure why I'm just seeing this for the first time but this is a truly great picture. Any chance of an updated version?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 5:24 AM
we built this city

Would be cool to see this sort of hypothetical view with the YMCA, The Alexander, etc as well.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 4:40 AM

Could someone do a mock up of the view from the Central Library patio, once the Alexander, Maple and Cunard projects are done? Not that this is the most attractive part of the current view, but I'd like to know exactly what's going to disappear.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 6:23 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
Could someone do a mock up of the view from the Central Library patio, once the Alexander, Maple and Cunard projects are done? Not that this is the most attractive part of the current view, but I'd like to know exactly what's going to disappear.
Probably the view of the oil refinery and the unattractive backs of structures that are exposed by those holes in the urban fabric.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 1:35 AM

The view from the Aquavista at King's Wharf is pretty amazing

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:46 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
Not sure why I'm just seeing this for the first time but this is a truly great picture. Any chance of an updated version?
When I get some time I might take another stab at it. I don't think the Discovery Centre would be visible here but the Roy would along with, interestingly enough, Pavilion, since it will be just to the right of the Martello.

It would also be nice to get a wider panorama with the Alexander and Salter Block in it.

The Quinpool Road towers might be visible here too but it's hard to say how visible. The Halifax skyline will have a lot more depth in the future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos