HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Private Residences at Hotel Georgia in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 8:25 PM

go check out what jean claude van damm subpenthouse looks like in the shaw tower...i guess he and a lot of vancouverites are making money off real estate since his movie career is tanking..

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=6256423

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
I passed by the Hotel Georgia site today. Work has begun on removing the parkade where the new tower will be built.
Yeah, just walked by and a lot of the precast fins/screens are gone off the front of the parkade.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 5:45 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bils View Post
Three units on the 60th floor of the Ritz-Carlton project on Georgia Street
What's with these journalists? Why must they pull numbers out of their ass like this?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 5:55 AM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo67sh View Post
go check out what jean claude van damm subpenthouse looks like in the shaw tower...i guess he and a lot of vancouverites are making money off real estate since his movie career is tanking..

There's 6 bedrooms!

If five of you guys and myself pitch on this place, we might be able to purchase it.

Anyone want on in on this?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 6:12 AM

Quote:
There's 6 bedrooms!

If five of you guys and myself pitch on this place, we might be able to purchase it.

i'm not sure what you do for a living, but 6 of us ain't gonna be able afford this place......

here's the full listing -

http://www.malcolmhasman.com/propert...7wcordova.html

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 5:55 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The Ritz does have a 60th floor I beleive there are only 2 penthouses though both 2 levels, but I'm not postive on that.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 6:55 PM
Dérive-r

^So in terms of numbering it has a 60th because a couple floors (4 & 13?) are taken out of the numbering scheme?

Anyways, I just found it interesting how the article said that both the Shangri-la and the RC are 60 storeys when in reality they certainly don't have the same physical number of floors. I don't even think the Shangri-la has 60 any way you cut it. It's either 61 numbered or 59 physical... right?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 7:11 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

That's correct Shangri-la =61/59 Ritz = 60/58 The difference in heights would suggest more then 1 floor but the Shangri-la floors are slightly taller.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
There's 6 bedrooms!

I don't get it. If you had $18m floating around, why would you buy a CONDO? No matter how nice it is? A condo?! No matter what building it's in, somebody will build a taller one and you'll want to move to that one for the prestige of being on top of the city (exactly what JC Van-Damme is doing, no doubt).
$18m buys you a whole lotta house. A ranch with race-horses, a vineyard, a mansion with servants quarters, a few hundred acres, geez, even a whole brownstone with tenants paying you rent every month and you own the whole top floor if you really want to. But an $18m penthouse condo is going to be famous for 60 seconds...until the next one comes along for $19m and suddenly you'll think "what's so great about that one that I haven't got in this one?"

I'd spend the money on something better than 60 seconds of fame.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 10:14 PM

I think the key thing to note would be that the buyer already has the other things you listed.. elsewhere.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo67sh View Post

Well I wasn't really sold on shelling out $19 mill but then I read that the home also features 4 Sony flat screen TV's and that sealed the deal.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 6:27 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Acutally you'd be surprised on how many people live in condos and don't want a house. With my lifestyle I find I don't have time for yardwork or enjoying the backyard like I'd like too (Let me guess if you have $20Million for a home you can afford staff to maintain it right). In fact I'm planning on giving up the house for a condo and won't have regrets. Truth be told if I were in the market for a $19Million which, unforunately I'm not, I could see myself getting that over some 3 acre property in West Van with a 8000sqft home and private swimming pool. There is a sense of calmness about condo living, you can leave whenever you want for a trip, and not have to worry about your house, that's a big deal for people that have stressful lives.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 6:51 PM

there are 3 penthouses at the ritz. they begin on floor 59 and are two storey's each.

floorplans are now available on the ritz site.
www.vancouversturn.com

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 7:15 PM

Yeah, I understand your point on the benefits condo living vs. house living. I have both a house and a condo, both pretty decent properties in nice Vancouver neighbourhoods, and even so, there are still issues with both of them. In both cases the issues are not with anything within my 4 walls, it's with the things you can't control: one's neighbourhood and neighbours (noise, crime, pollution, etc.).

My biggest fear of being in a $19m penthouse of a condo is: a) some person starts a fire/runs a meth lab/goes on a shooting spree/breaks the lift/drills through the pipes or whatever, and I'm on the top floor and I can't get in or out, or my life is affected because of somebody in the floors below me. All of these are things out of my control, and inevitably in any condo building, you're likely to have somebody in the building who fits into that category. Not worth risking my life over.
At least if I had a $19m mansion or whatever, I have only my own self to answer to. Yes, "the staff" will manage the property as you suggested jlousa, so I wouldn't be breaking my back over yardwork.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 8:11 PM

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 5:57 PM

Here's a photo of the demo progress on the parkade:

from flickr

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 5:59 PM

Awsome, as much as Im not blown away by the architechture of this project im really excited to see it rise, as it is pretty decently tall especially for its floor plate. Should be a good slender looking building which will only exagerate its height. Also that parkade sucks and it will be nice to be rid of such an eyesore in such a prominent location.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 9:54 PM

Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 7:17 AM

Shes really tucked in between the georgia hotel and the met hotel, didnt realize that before.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 9:13 AM
Hicksville Perspective

Agreed, seems to be a very small floor plate for a 48 story tower ... which goes to show that Vancouver developers actually can get quite creative when they're forced too due to floor plate and/or height restrictions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive