HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Don't give Bnk a heart attack.

Of course, I remain baffled by the idea that having HQ2 in DC puts you closer to "power" when a simple lobbying office achieves the same thing.

Washington DC is full of politicians representing other States and regions, they don't give a fuck about DC.
Yeah, if anything DC is the LEAST likely place to locate if you want to be "closer to power" since their motto is literally "taxation without representation". I mean DC has NO senators, there are not representatives from DC with full voting rights.

Again, if people say he want's to be close to power, then let's go back to my conspiracy theory about Rahm where he quit the Mayor's race because he knows Chicago is getting Amazon and is making a run at the presidency. Wouldn't it make Bezos just a little "closer to power" if he used his HQ2 to propel a replacement for Donny to the White House? Just a little FYI:

Third Week of August: Amazon visits Chicago for a second time
September 4: Rahm surprises everyone with no reelection bid
September 5: Axelrod relists his condo in Chicago

Coincidence? I think not...

PS: I really really really want this to happen because it would make my Vista sketch look like a joke. I can become the Nostradamus of SSP with this prediction!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:53 AM
પટેલ. કે ન

My theory Rahm is going for a real payday with HQ2 some high end VP making millions, vs running for POTUS. And or also helping Bezos become POTUS, he could even/should refuse denotations and pay for the run himself. Rahm could become chief of staff for 3 presidents.

These seasonal jobs might not mean much to the general economy but it might to some struggling unemployed.

Also its interesting they are more than doubling the numbers hired compared to last year.

FedEx to hire 3,000 seasonal employees in Chicago

Posted 5:29 PM, October 10, 2018, by WGN Web Desk

https://wgntv.com/2018/10/10/fedex-t...es-in-chicago/

CHICAGO — FedEx announced Wednesday it plans to hire more than 3,000 seasonal workers in Chicago this holiday season.

In a news release, the shipping company said the positions will be for frontline employees, specifically handler positions. Last year, FedEx created about 1,250 seasonal jobs in the city, the company said.

For details on the positions, visit

groundwarehousejobs.fedex.com/groundwarehousejobs.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 5:26 PM

Industrial Vacancy to Hit Decade Low

Developers completed tens of millions of square feet of new product in just three years, including 25 million in the I-55 Corridor near Joliet alone.

https://www.globest.com/2018/10/11/i...it-decade-low/

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 10:58 PM

G2 Crowd raises $55 million to widen business

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/john...widen-business

Quote:
G2 Crowd got its start crowdsourcing reviews of business software. Now it wants a bigger piece of the action.

The Chicago-based company raised another $55 million, led by IVP, a Silicon Valley venture fund that backed Coinbase, Dropbox, Kayak, MuleSoft, Netflix, Twitter and Uber.

G2 Crowd accumulated about 23 million users with free reviews of software. It also makes money selling subscriptions to software makers that allow them to add customized content to their profiles and obtain data about companies who have looked at G2’s information on their software, as well as competitors they checked out. Subscribers also can offer a link to request a demo.

G2 Crowd is growing fast. Its staff has doubled in the past year to more than 200, including about 150 in Chicago. Abel predicts its headcount will be five times higher within five years. Abel, a serial entrepreneur who sold SteelBrick and BigMachines to big software makers Salesforce and Oracle, has said he plans to take G2 Crowd public.

G2 Crowd’s revenue is growing faster than headcount, Bonnici said, though he would not provide specific figures. He says the company is preparing to expand into Europe. It’s also looking at possible acquisitions.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 6:27 PM
The City

Nothing new, but an article in Fortune

Two cities get second looks from Amazon HQ2s search committee:

http://fortune.com/2018/10/08/amazon...rch-committee/

Quote:
Media reports say Amazon search committee members have made second trips to Miami and Chicago this fall. The South Florida Business Journal had sources saying a return visit happened in September. The Chicago Tribune reported Amazon representatives in August visited The 78, a 62-acre development in the city’s South Loop neighborhood.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:31 AM
પટેલ. કે ન

Not sure this means much, and we already mentioned it, but it was from a Dallas business news source.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...feelingchicago

This week in Amazon-o-mania: At this point, all we can do is guess about HQ. Feeling Chicago

A year ago this month, some of our Dallas Morning News business editors and writers made HQ2 predictions and we published our guesses. The results were one vote each for Atlanta, Chicago, Columbus, Pittsburgh, two for Denver and four votes for Dallas. It's still anyone's guess. Amazon is expected to make its announcement soon. It's planing to invest $5 billion to build a second headquarters equal to its Seattle headquarters for as many as 50,000 employees it expects to hire over the next decade.

Build the stores first: Watchers are still looking for signs in the year-plus, leak-proof Amazon HQ2 search. The first cashierless Amazon Go store outside of Seattle opened in Chicago last month. Amazon has already announced two more within walking distance of the first. If you were about to hire a bunch of people in a new city, wouldn't you want to already have them smitten with your attention-grabbing new thing, a convenience store with a sign that tells you to just walk out? In Chicago, the Go stores are downtown where Amazon would probably house people temporarily while it builds its new HQ2.

Three Amazon Go stores within walking distance of plenty of temporary buildings to house Amazon HQ2 hires.

Last edited by bnk; Yesterday at 7:44 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:24 PM

^ If this article were written about Dallas, and Amazon had 3 GO stores in Dallas, I would not give one thought that it meant HQ2 for Big D. And it doesnt mean anything for Big C either,.

Reminds me of the 3rd tier city idiots who regurgitate how many Amazon warehouses they have and why Amazon will locate there and the other idiots who keep saying their city is central to US so better logistics for HQ2.

All the GO market locations prove is that Chicago is a great city for market testing and that Chicago has a dense, diverse population roaming its sidewalks with some disposable income and are adaptive to new tech.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:05 PM

I originally thought Chicago had little chance of getting Amazon. I thought it would be the best place outside of NYC for it but because of the pension and financial issues I held little hope. Then Rahm announced he was "retiring" early from public office. As much as he pushed for Amazon to come to Chicago I thought it was very strange that he would not atleast hold out until the end of the year before announcing a no run(unless someone told him Chicago for sure was out and he got so depressed he gave up, wich I doubt). He has little chance of winning in public office until the CPD mess settles down so what will he do until then, that is the million dollar question. Could it be go to work for Amazon? I guess we will know soon enough.

This theory is as good as that stupid Atlanta forum theory

Last edited by F1 Tommy; Yesterday at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Today, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
^ If this article were written about Dallas, and Amazon had 3 GO stores in Dallas, I would not give one thought that it meant HQ2 for Big D. And it doesnt mean anything for Big C either,.

Reminds me of the 3rd tier city idiots who regurgitate how many Amazon warehouses they have and why Amazon will locate there and the other idiots who keep saying their city is central to US so better logistics for HQ2.

All the GO market locations prove is that Chicago is a great city for market testing and that Chicago has a dense, diverse population roaming its sidewalks with some disposable income and are adaptive to new tech.

^Agreed.

However, maybe it's a possibility that Amazon is choosing to split up HQ2, and Chicago will be the base of it's brick and mortar retail operations...

Old Posted Today, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
^Agreed.

However, maybe it's a possibility that Amazon is choosing to split up HQ2, and Chicago will be the base of it's brick and mortar retail operations...
This always made the most sense to me. If they want political influence, as many have suggested, having 15-20k employees in three different cities/states would mean 6 Senators and dozens of House Representatives to help drive their agenda. It would also spread the risk and talent pool across multiple metros.

Old Posted Today, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
My theory Rahm is going for a real payday with HQ2 some high end VP making millions...
Rahm visited my friend's office (a big PE shop) last week. Apparently Rahm said he wasn't running because he doesn't want to support his family on ~100k anymore. He mentioned that fact that his kids are almost college age as a big factor.
My friend got the sense that the visit was part of Rahm scoping out the post-mayoral job market.

Old Posted Today, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natoma View Post
Rahm visited my friend's office (a big PE shop) last week. Apparently Rahm said he wasn't running because he doesn't want to support his family on ~100k anymore. He mentioned that fact that his kids are almost college age as a big factor.
My friend got the sense that the visit was part of Rahm scoping out the post-mayoral job market.
A dubious claim as the mayoral salary is $216k. The part about scoping the job market does make some sense:

Quote:
In his first six years in office, Mayor Rahm Emanuel made nearly $2.2 million, an average income of about $365,000 per year, according to newly released tax returns from the mayor.

Old Posted Today, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
^Agreed.

There have been a lot of rumors to the effect that Amazon is splitting its retail—not just brick and mortar but online—from web services and related functions. That is a more sensible outcome than a split right down the middle, but is still consistent with Amazon’s statement that the two HQs will be equal (as both parts are of roughly equal size, revenue-wise).

Seen in that context, I think the Amazon Go stores are a weak but positive signal for Chicago.

Old Posted Today, 10:23 PM

It would make sense for Amazon to split up certain things for this new HQ2. Who knows that will be - maybe retail - maybe not. I am looking at their HQ2 requirements doc and it says this:

Quote:
The jobs will likely be broken down into the following categories: executive/management, engineering with a preference for software development engineers (SDE), legal, accounting, and administrative
I've already talked before about the reality of tech companies and how it's not just a ton of different software developers sitting around - there's tons of different types of jobs that are needed to support this. The lines also blur on who is considered a software developer - my manager last week told me they're trying to get a bunch of people that aren't currently software developers to actually commit code at least once every week and kind of blur the lines. I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if Amazon was doing things like this too already (i.e. a business analyst is committing code of some kind even). This is why I think a lot of articles are completely missing the mark when they weigh pros/cons of every finalist city. I think most articles are written by and for people who have no experience in any of these settings and think it's 98% pure software developers sitting around. They focus on just one part of the labor force - and even with that, there's certain people needed that organizations like BLS don't even report as belonging to technical roles when they actually do.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen, but I would be surprised if whatever goes in HQ2 is not the HQ of a big business unit of theirs (i.e. "retail" or whatever you want to call it).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest