HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
termical C will be built, then landing fees will even be more expensive.
I don't see anything about a Terminal C in the Airport Master Plan.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 8:15 PM

Phase II 2020 and beyond
New 23 gate Concourse C
12 gate expansion of Concourse A
Possible 12 gate expansion of Concourse B
New Automated People Mover (APM) from Central Terminal to Concourse A
New Automated People Mover (APM) from Central Terminal to Concourse C
Expansion of Central Terminal (Centralized ticketing and baggage handling for Concourse A, B and C)
New RT Light Rail station for Natomas/Airport extension.
New Parking Garage #3

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Phase II 2020 and beyond
New 23 gate Concourse C
12 gate expansion of Concourse A
Possible 12 gate expansion of Concourse B
New Automated People Mover (APM) from Central Terminal to Concourse A
New Automated People Mover (APM) from Central Terminal to Concourse C
Expansion of Central Terminal (Centralized ticketing and baggage handling for Concourse A, B and C)
New RT Light Rail station for Natomas/Airport extension.
New Parking Garage #3
Wow...now, if we could get that DNA extension going, that'd be great!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 10:36 PM

I'd like to see a runway extension. Do 757's, 767's, 777's, A330's, and A350's even service SMF? Or is it destined to be narrow-bodied, short-medium range airport?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
landing fees are much more expensinve in SMF.
Why would SMF fees be so much more?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deno View Post
Why would SMF fees be so much more?
Deno the fees at the airport are not as high as they used to be. If I recall correctly the cost per enplanement was around 17 dollars in 2013 but then dropped to 13 dollars by 2017 due to the new financial program that the airport signed to remain competitive. As for SFO, SJC, and OAK I would expect the competition and congestion of the three airports to cause rates to rise.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 1:37 AM

When I look at discounts I see $49 to Las Vegas from Oakland vs $124 from SMF.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:48 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
I'd like to see a runway extension. Do 757's, 767's, 777's, A330's, and A350's even service SMF? Or is it destined to be narrow-bodied, short-medium range airport?
The existing runways should be able to handle some these larger aircraft already. 8,600 feet I believe is enough length for anything save the largest widebodies. I'm definitely no airliner expert/engineer though.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
Airlines are increasingly phasing out 757s on transcontinental routes in favor of 737s and A320s/321s. These aircraft are far more economical to fly.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-rar...win-1522246644

767s, 777s, A330s, and A350s are only used on international routes by US carriers.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 11:09 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Airlines are increasingly phasing out 757s on transcontinental routes in favor of 737s and A320s/321s. These aircraft are far more economical to fly.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-rar...win-1522246644

767s, 777s, A330s, and A350s are only used on international routes by US carriers.
Except Hawaiian Airlines which flies out of KSMF with a 767-300

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 4:25 AM

According to the SCAS stats as of Feb.2018, 1.6 million passengers have flown out of SMF and the airport projects 11.5 million in 2018! Hopefully these are encouraging signs for the airport and with the imminent construction of Metro Air Park, looks like SMF is finally becoming the airport it deserves.

O and also the Terminal A remodeling is starting, they are in the process of remodeling the outdated seats and giving it a more modern, comfy vibe.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 4:36 AM

Check this out guys I just checked the planning and design for SMF and they have finally released the 2017 executive Master Plan draft summary! Its 36 pages long too! Hopefully this will bring up some talk within this forum!

Ok so what I have read from the Master Plan is that

1. The airport is not ready to commit to the expansion of runway 16L-34R, which I am disappointed in, the airport need a longer runway if the airport desires flights to Europe and larger planes.

2. The only Terminal upgrade planned is a 6 gate expansion of Terminal B or A and the addition of a new baggage claim at Terminal B and a pedestrian walkway linking Terminal B and A. Ok this really bugs me. The airport uses statistics from 2012 to base their forecasts, which the forecasts are way off. SMF is already 1 million passengers ahead of the planned growth. They projected 4.9 million enplaned in 2017; the airport is already of 5 million enplaned. As for the upgrades, I think the airport should invest in Terminals A and B. Terminal A was built with a 10 gate expansion and Terminal B I think was build with at least more than a 6 gate expansion, and at the rate the airport is growing, the board needs to upgrade both Terminals A and B, especially since Terminal A is outdated and pre 9/11 built. Also, with the expansion of Terminal A Terminal B can become a dedicated Southwest terminal while the other carriers operate out of Terminal A, which if expanded to full capacity can host some 22 gates if expanded.

3. There is no plans for a Terminal C or a hotel. I do not think the airport is quite ready for a Terminal C but the hotel part bugs me. Unless the airport can figure out a good way to shuttle passengers between the airport and Metro Air Park a on site hotel is needed desperately. However, as for a proposed Terminal C....

4. Garage B will be built. While this is good, it's great actually the Garage shown in the diagram in the master plan is horrendously oversized. So oversized, that if the airport will consider a Terminal C in the near future there will be little space to connect the main Terminal B with Terminal C.

Last edited by j_deguzman10; Apr 6, 2018 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 10:34 PM

Look at this article from the sac biz journal
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...r-a-hotel.html

The hotel might actually pencil out at this proposed location

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:26 PM

Sacramento Airport Considering Developments Near Interstate 5

Sacramento Airport Considering Developments Near Interstate 5

CBS Sacramento
Apr. 6, 2018

"SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — The Sacramento International Airport is looking to develop two pieces of land straddling Interstate 5.

It’s 30 acres in what’s known as the south district and 98 acres in what they call the amenities district.

Airport spokesperson Laurie Slothower says they’re looking for bids from developers that will create a mixed-use development featuring retail, travel and hospitality space..."

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/...-interstate-5/

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 9:15 PM

Looks like Frontier is going to be back this summer offering flights to Las Vegas and Denver.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 9:08 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Southwest announced Thursday that Sacramento International Airport is intended to be among the first four airports it will use for flights to Hawaii

Southwest said it intends to fly to four Hawaiian islands, Oahu, Maui, Kauai and the leeward side of the big island, Hawaii.

Service could begin in November so it's possible we might get nonstop service to one of the other islands.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:18 PM

Southwest

Southwest will be starting Sunday-only service to Houston Hobby and Philadelphia this November.

Southwest Airlines adds routes, flights in New York and Washington

"Sacramento (new routes)

Houston Hobby: Sunday-only service begins Nov. 4

Philadelphia: Sunday-only service begins Nov. 4"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...hts/660465002/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 3:31 PM

I talked to one of the SMF officials earlier and they said that they expect at least 12 million passengers to pass through SMF this year. So far in July they are at 6.7-6.8 million so it looks like they will probably hit 12 million this year. How awesome is that! At this rate it looks like the airport will catch up to Raleigh and San Jose which have both skyrocketed as well.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:23 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_deguzman10 View Post
I talked to one of the SMF officials earlier and they said that they expect at least 12 million passengers to pass through SMF this year. So far in July they are at 6.7-6.8 million so it looks like they will probably hit 12 million this year. How awesome is that! At this rate it looks like the airport will catch up to Raleigh and San Jose which have both skyrocketed as well.

Yeah airport traffic is up 11% over last year they said on KFBK today. 1.1 million people used the airport last month (which is translating into more flights.)

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:38 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_deguzman10 View Post
Check this out guys I just checked the planning and design for SMF and they have finally released the 2017 executive Master Plan draft summary! Its 36 pages long too! Hopefully this will bring up some talk within this forum!

Ok so what I have read from the Master Plan is that

1. The airport is not ready to commit to the expansion of runway 16L-34R, which I am disappointed in, the airport need a longer runway if the airport desires flights to Europe and larger planes.

2. The only Terminal upgrade planned is a 6 gate expansion of Terminal B or A and the addition of a new baggage claim at Terminal B and a pedestrian walkway linking Terminal B and A. Ok this really bugs me. The airport uses statistics from 2012 to base their forecasts, which the forecasts are way off. SMF is already 1 million passengers ahead of the planned growth. They projected 4.9 million enplaned in 2017; the airport is already of 5 million enplaned. As for the upgrades, I think the airport should invest in Terminals A and B. Terminal A was built with a 10 gate expansion and Terminal B I think was build with at least more than a 6 gate expansion, and at the rate the airport is growing, the board needs to upgrade both Terminals A and B, especially since Terminal A is outdated and pre 9/11 built. Also, with the expansion of Terminal A Terminal B can become a dedicated Southwest terminal while the other carriers operate out of Terminal A, which if expanded to full capacity can host some 22 gates if expanded.

3. There is no plans for a Terminal C or a hotel. I do not think the airport is quite ready for a Terminal C but the hotel part bugs me. Unless the airport can figure out a good way to shuttle passengers between the airport and Metro Air Park a on site hotel is needed desperately. However, as for a proposed Terminal C....

4. Garage B will be built. While this is good, it's great actually the Garage shown in the diagram in the master plan is horrendously oversized. So oversized, that if the airport will consider a Terminal C in the near future there will be little space to connect the main Terminal B with Terminal C.

If i recall from the last airport master plan, Concourse C wouldn’t get built until the airport passenger traffic goes up to 16 or 18 million (but that was quite awhile ago and i don’t recall all the details.) Technically there is no “Terminal B”; It’s B concourse and the Central Terminal. But we’ve all gotten used to saying “Terminal B”. It’s like in 1985 RT held a naming contest for Light Rail and the winning name for the system was “RT Metro” but everybody kept calling it “light rail” so it stuck. Lol

The idea originally though is (was) to eventually move all ticketing and baggage claim to the central terminal (away from Terminal A). The South facing glass wall (facing towards I-5) was designed so it could be removed, the Central Terminal expanded and connect airside to a third concourse C on the west side of the 2nd parking garage as well as concourse A (both via people movers like they use for B).

Anyway I have no doubt they see what works and what doesn’t and tweak the plan as needed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area