HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 12:36 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Just looked at the ALDOT project letting list website, some notable projects:

-Auburn interchange on I-85 with Beehive Road

-It would appear that an overpass on Research Park Boulevard in Huntsville to cross over SR-53 is on it's way.

-Streetscaping projecct in Tuscaloosa along Greensboro Ave is a go.

That was pretty much all of the significant stuff. There were a few pedestrian improvement projects in the Birmingham area, in Trussville and Homewood, it was nice to see ALDOT undertaking some of those projects.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 2:43 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I-22/I-65/US 31 Interchange Construction to begin on August 1st

Get ready for some delays on I-65 folks. It appears that I-65 will be 12 lanes wide at the interchange in north Birmingham. Bid letting for the I-22/US 31 interchange will occur in 2011.

Sounds like it's gonna be an interesting 3 to 4 years.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 6:31 PM

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 1:27 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Work on I-65 between I-459 and US 31 will begin soon. This is supposed to be the reconstructing that the MPO decided on a while back. Basically, it's just repaving, lighting, drainage, etc...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 1:25 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Hallelujah!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 7:34 AM
surely you're not serious

According to the Mobile MPO I-10's widening (1 lane addition each way) between Carol Plantation Road and Halls Mill Creek should be underway as of December 3. I haven't been west of the 10/65 since around that time so I can't be sure it has kicked off yet.

This area starts just outside the area Mobile recently annexed around the Tillman's Corner/90 exit and ends at the current 6-lane at Halls Mill Creek. This comes to about 3 more miles of 6 laned 10 to the southwest of the city... a very welcomed start.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 6:00 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

About time ! I always felt that I-10 should have had lanes added out that way.It would be nice if they would add lighting.I-10 west is dark after about 2/3 of a mile.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 6:34 PM

I see that down in Centreville, they are doing some clearing to continue the US Hwy 82-Brent/Centreville Bypass. Maybe, if the planets align correctly, by the dawn of the 22nd Century, we will finally get 82 four-laned from the Mississippi state line to Montgomery.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 7:15 PM

Mobile I-10 Widening Project officially starts:

Fox 10 WALA

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:46 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Birmingham Biz Journal reports that Governor Bentley is looking at toll roads as a way to make up for lost federal transportation dollars.

I think this is great news. No one particularly likes toll roads, but if sulking because of lost federal money is the alternative, I'm all for it. Besides, the amount of time some toll roads could cut from a trip via a public highway could be considerably less than the amount of money you spend on gas on the crowded roads. Not every situation will be like that. Either way, this will enable to state to construct projects that have been needed for years. It's the reason Orlando, FL is able to keep pace.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
Birmingham Biz Journal reports that Governor Bentley is looking at toll roads as a way to make up for lost federal transportation dollars.

I think this is great news. No one particularly likes toll roads, but if sulking because of lost federal money is the alternative, I'm all for it. Besides, the amount of time some toll roads could cut from a trip via a public highway could be considerably less than the amount of money you spend on gas on the crowded roads. Not every situation will be like that. Either way, this will enable to state to construct projects that have been needed for years. It's the reason Orlando, FL is able to keep pace.
I agree with you, they are a necessary evil that we're going to have to consider. Most citizens and motorist don't understand the hidden costs that are involved with maintaining a transportation network with a decent level of service. I just hope they projects that are chosen as toll roads are reasonable projects that have the potential of paying off in a respectable amount of time.
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:09 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
Work on I-65 between I-459 and US 31 will begin soon. This is supposed to be the reconstructing that the MPO decided on a while back. Basically, it's just repaving, lighting, drainage, etc...
As anyone who lives around this area and has to use this section of interstate probably already knows - this project is very treacherous. There have been several accidents and the State Troopers and Hoover are set up looking to write tickets, its typically 45mph through the zone. Don't mess around.

I can't believe it is this much of a project to freshen this section and not add another lane - but it is the roughest nastiest section of interstate in town.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 7:24 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
As anyone who lives around this area and has to use this section of interstate probably already knows - this project is very treacherous. There have been several accidents and the State Troopers and Hoover are set up looking to write tickets, its typically 45mph through the zone. Don't mess around.

I can't believe it is this much of a project to freshen this section and not add another lane - but it is the roughest nastiest section of interstate in town.
I think that traffic would flow more freely if people weren't worried about their tires erupting in epic fashion. That's just my opinion on why they aren't adding lanes.

Either way, I was driving home last weekend, and I stopped in Hoover to take some pictures at Moss Rock Preserve (very beautiful BTW). I was getting on I65N to get outta town, starting at 459. My gosh, it was like 6:30 and traffic was backed up from 459 all the way to the junction.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 10:25 PM

Airport Blvd in Mobile future plans:

http://www.cityofmobile.org/airportblvdstudy.php

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 8:43 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Per the ALDOT Project Letting list

LINK

Montgomery Outer Loop: ~$70,000,000 - $85,000,000

5.5 km, from AL 110 to I-85.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSky View Post
Airport Blvd in Mobile future plans:

http://www.cityofmobile.org/airportblvdstudy.php
This will certainly make things a bit better to get around... Trying to get to Acadamy Sports can be an insane nightmare! I am glad our home is on the eastern shore, so I don't have to go over there often. But this ya'll will be amazing if it is completed to its best extent!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 4:21 AM

I get that AL does not have the money but I really feel like it is justified to make 65 three lanes all the way from north Prattville to south Birmingham. Lots of truck, commuter, vacation, etc traffic currently and it will only get worse especially since 65 is a hurricane evacuation route. It's wishful thinking but would really help out with all the frickin wrecks that happen on 65.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 5:52 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad0022 View Post
I get that AL does not have the money but I really feel like it is justified to make 65 three lanes all the way from north Prattville to south Birmingham. Lots of truck, commuter, vacation, etc traffic currently and it will only get worse especially since 65 is a hurricane evacuation route. It's wishful thinking but would really help out with all the frickin wrecks that happen on 65.
As for the evacuation, contraflow usually only goes as far north as MGM. But, yea, it really should be 6 laned all the way to Birmingham. Hell, 65 should be 6 laned from south of MGM to Decatur.

I think eventually you'll see the 6 lane from BHM to MGM, it's just gonna take a while. We're actually seeing a lot of progress on our roads, statewide. Dunno if anyone's noticed, but there's A LOT of work going on.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 9:21 PM

When are they ever going to widen 82 all the way from Tuscaloosa to Montgomery?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 1:58 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
When are they ever going to widen 82 all the way from Tuscaloosa to Montgomery?
Probably sometime between now and 2030. It's gonna take a while, they seem to be doing it section by tiny tiny section. The one their building right now in Centreville isn't but a few miles long. As of now though, I don't think there are any concrete plans, as least not THIS fiscal year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast