HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 3:30 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
100% agree with everything you just said, a direct fixed rail transit line to CC just makes too much sense.
But in the meantime I think that the City should totally get behind the efforts to "brand" the bus service between Downtown and Cherry Creek:

http://www.transolutions.org/wp-cont...ity-Study1.pdf

For an additional $1M/yr in operational costs and $5M (my guess) in capital costs you get frequent (7.5 minute peak/15 min off-peak) service, easily identifiable stations, and other improvements that would serve to link these two nodes now rather than in 20 years.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 3:45 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
But in the meantime I think that the City should totally get behind the efforts to "brand" the bus service between Downtown and Cherry Creek:

http://www.transolutions.org/wp-cont...ity-Study1.pdf

For an additional $1M/yr in operational costs and $5M (my guess) in capital costs you get frequent (7.5 minute peak/15 min off-peak) service, easily identifiable stations, and other improvements that would serve to link these two nodes now rather than in 20 years.
wow was my mind ahead of reality... I thought that was decided already. I thought rail was the next logical step left.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 4:25 PM

Quote:
100% agree with everything you just said, a direct fixed rail transit line to CC just makes too much sense.
Or for starters, a branded bus route between CC and civic center station.

Edit: agreeing with wong. I'd rather have a nice bus now than rail in 25 years.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Or for starters, a branded bus route between CC and civic center station.

Edit: agreeing with wong. I'd rather have a nice bus now than rail in 25 years.
Agreed, anything that is specialty branded would be better than what they have now and could be done relatively inexpensive...though the thought of someone taking the bus to go shop at Tiffany just doesn't seem that likely. But would be great for convention goers and others that are downtown without a vehicle.

If Boulder has the Hop, Skip and Jump, let's call this one the Sneak!
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 7:26 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
In a couple generations I believe Cherry Creek will be part of downtown Denver for all intents and purposes. There is no reason Downtown can't connect itself to Cherry Creek and just consider it its shopping district.
Nah. The Country Club neighborhood is too wealthy. It'll remain low-to-moderate density residential and forever separate downtown from Cherry Creek. That doesn't mean Cherry Creek won't be a great urban uptown district on its own terms. It'll just always be a different place.

It'll be like downtown San Francisco and downtown Oakland. Both good downtowns, but separated by the bay. In Denver's case, the "bay" will be Country Club.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 7:31 PM

Quote:
If Boulder has the Hop, Skip and Jump, let's call this one the Sneak!
I like the Boulder model, but Boulder is small and it's already bumping up against the upper limit of how many routes you can give unique names to without it become too hard to remember them all. Denver is too big, IMO, unless the special names were constrained to no more than 2-3 routes.

For a city Denver's size, better to use one special brand name for the whole overlay network of priority routes. Like LA's MetroRapid. The MetroRide brand from the downtown circulator is good, if its hours were extended so people could start thinking of it as general transit instead of just a commuter shuttle.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 7:40 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Nah. The Country Club neighborhood is too wealthy. It'll remain low-to-moderate density residential and forever separate downtown from Cherry Creek. That doesn't mean Cherry Creek won't be a great urban uptown district on its own terms. It'll just always be a different place.

It'll be like downtown San Francisco and downtown Oakland. Both good downtowns, but separated by the bay. In Denver's case, the "bay" will be Country Club.
ah yes the country club... I didn't think about that . it could go right up to it and then pick back up though.. it's not that big. Or, which will/would take much longer, extending downtown type development along both 6th and Alameda. Probably the same problem with well rooted wealthy residential which isn't something that needs to be changed or fixed. I wouldn't mind the country club separating two nodes of downtown though. It would almost make it look like the country club was our Central Park...but more era appropriate to both the Boulderization of Denver and the country at large because only the "right" people could play there.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 8:40 PM
Denver

Boulder has the hop, skip, jump, dash & stampede... am I missing any here? I agree that it is near the upper limit of having too many named routes. However, it really helps the average joe who only uses transit maybe a few times a month.

Anyhow, I rode the metroride the other day for the first time. And it was basically empty. Does anyone know how ridership has been?

Also, I thought the new bus station was supposed to have improved exhaust vents? It smelled pretty bad when I was waiting to get onto the bus

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 8:50 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
Anyhow, I rode the metroride the other day for the first time. And it was basically empty. Does anyone know how ridership has been?
What time did you ride it at? While it only operates during peak hours, anything after 800A or before 400P is going to be a ghost town.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 8:55 PM
ColoRADo

Haven't seen numbers yet, but I've seen it both packed and completely empty depending on the time.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
Boulder has the hop, skip, jump, dash & stampede... am I missing any here? I agree that it is near the upper limit of having too many named routes. However, it really helps the average joe who only uses transit maybe a few times a month.
There's the BOLT and the HOP2. There used to be a NIGHT HOP and a LEAP, although by the looks of it those have been discontinued.

Quote:
No idea but I expect it will remain mostly empty until the rest of the FasTracks lines open. It's really only there to handle spill-over capacity from the 16th Street shuttle, so until the mall shuttle fills up too much, MetroRide will be lightly used.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 9:25 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Honestly, many of these naming issues could be alleviated by just naming the bus route after the street.

The 0 is no longer the 0. It's the "Broadway Bus". The 40 is the "Colorado Ave Bus". The 15 is the "Colfax Bus". It'd make connections super easy. "Take the Broadway Bus to Colfax, and change to the Colfax Bus."

Maybe make some of the smaller routes more unique but still logical names. That ART bus in Englewood? The Englewood Bus. A bus to CC Mall? I like the name Cherry Creek Sneak.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 9:39 PM
Lowe's

So, if you want a dedicated rail line, or street car or bus going straight back and forth to CC from downtown then what is the motivation for retailers to even worry about building anything other than business/tourist centric retail?

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 10:07 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyweaxguy View Post
So, if you want a dedicated rail line, or street car or bus going straight back and forth to CC from downtown then what is the motivation for retailers to even worry about building anything other than business/tourist centric retail?
That ship sailed, though you could cater to the tens of thousands of residents who will live downtown.

Just a thought.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 2:27 AM
Lowe's

I'm sure that's the plan. Just makes a case for living in Cherry Creek where you can walk to everything.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 2:55 AM

It's one thing to be able to afford to live in downtown Denver, it's a whole other ballpark in Cherry Creek.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 3:21 AM
Lowe's

Not really. I just looked at two 2 bedroom condos for 370/322 sq ft. I saw a 1 bed in Spire for 450/sq ft. It's just in what you want. As CC continues to densify it's only going to get better. Which is good for that area, but really sucks for downtown.

http://www.denvercondomania.com/cond...ERRY-CREEK.php

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 4:44 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
That ship sailed, though you could cater to the tens of thousands of residents who will live downtown.

Just a thought.
I think most retailers assume the thousands of downtown residents will just drive the whopping 4 miles to cherry creek. Much less likely that all of the central neighborhood residents would drive downtown. Cherry creek is clearly superior for most retailers.

For the downtown purists who refuse, it's a $6 car2go ride, under 20 minutes.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 4:50 AM
Lowe's

Just need to burn down the mall lol

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 6:37 AM

Have to drive 4 miles to buy underwear. And people wonder why we have a lot of traffic.

It doesn't bother me that the Nordstroms and Anthropologies of the world, or whatever, locate in Cherry Creek instead of downtown. But for downtown to function as a neighborhood it needs its own service retail. That Target we've been pining for for the past decade-plus won't help much if it shows up in Cherry Creek or on Colorado Blvd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West