Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:46 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Damn I love watching Vegas play.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 6:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Jets getting it done. A very impressive showing of speed, strength, skill and determination. And congratulations to Hellebuyck for the shutout and Vezina nomination! If they beat the Wild, they will surely be in tough next round. But I will enjoy this victory for now, and continue to be a loyal supporter of this team, win or lose.
I wouldn’t say next round will be tougher. THE wild are not some bottom dwelling team. They did have 101 point season. Preds lost to Avs. A wild card team amd the other games were pretty close for them. Vegas skimmed the series with LA by 1 goal games. LA was outshooting them in most. And LA was hogtied with a certain suspension for a key player.
When you compare how many shots the Jets dish out to the other teams moving on. It will come down to those teams goalies just like it came down to Dubnyk to keeping it closeish.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 2:29 PM
arf

Who put money on Vegas winning the Stanley Cup at the beginning of the season? Can I borrow a couple hundred bucks?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 2:53 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Jets now up In the series 3-1!!!

Sorry, was that too immature???
No but, then "questioning" the maturity of your post was indeed immature and expected.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 3:02 PM

Jets might be able to go all the way with the crosscheck-to-the-face strategy.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 3:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Jets might be able to go all the way with the crosscheck-to-the-face strategy.
I almost started thinking Leafs fans had changed lol. Nope lol
And the wild could almost go all the way with punching people in the back of the knee to take them out as well. It was an accident between Morrissey and Stahl. Hence why Stahl didn’t make a big issue about it.
Either way one more game and it’s on to the next round. Let me know when the Leafs make Ron the next round.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 3:40 PM

Once again you prove that you haven't watched hockey for longer than the two years that the Jets have actually been a competent team. An accident? He is staring directly at the principle point of contact (ie. Staal's neck) the entire time. Such a happy accident that my stick went exactly where I aimed it, oops! That's a 5 minute major if the ref doesn't have his head up his ass.

I don't have team bias when it comes to player discipline. I accept Kadri's suspension as a result of his dangerous behaviour and I want to league to continue to take it seriously and not be afraid to hand out suspensions just because it's the playoffs.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 3:45 PM

Wow... that's an obvious, blatant and purposely done cross-check to the face.
That's worthy of a suspension.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 3:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Wow... that's an obvious, blatant and purposely done cross-check to the face.
That's worthy of a suspension.
So was the headbutt by Niederreiter thrown on Chariot at the end of the game....

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Once again you prove that you haven't watched hockey for longer than the two years that the Jets have actually been a competent team. An accident? He is staring directly at the principle point of contact (ie. Staal's neck) the entire time. Such a happy accident that my stick went exactly where I aimed it, oops! That's a 5 minute major if the ref doesn't have his head up his ass.

I don't have team bias when it comes to player discipline. I accept Kadri's suspension as a result of his dangerous behaviour and I want to league to continue to take it seriously and not be afraid to hand out suspensions just because it's the playoffs.
A Gary Suter-ishly bad crosscheck, how the refs missed that is beyond comprehension, still it happens. What I didn't understand is why Boudreau didn't challenge the Jets goal, looked like Scheifele was offside to me, but I didn't see a good slow-mo replay of it to confirm.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:19 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
What I didn't understand is why Boudreau didn't challenge the Jets goal, looked like Scheifele was offside to me, but I didn't see a good slow-mo replay of it to confirm.
Because Scheifele was onside.

Morrissey's cross-check was brutal and I hope he gets a game for it. No way you can claim that's an accident without watching it with massive partisan blinders on. The NHL's been pretty good with disciplining dangerous action this playoffs, so we'll see if it continues.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Morrissey's cross-check was brutal and I hope he gets a game for it. No way you can claim that's an accident without watching it with massive partisan blinders on. The NHL's been pretty good with disciplining dangerous action this playoffs, so we'll see if it continues.
During the regular season, suspensions take into account the previous conduct of the player under review. For example, a repeater offender like Marchand, would receive a longer suspension than a player who had never been suspended, and yet they may have done the exact same thing. I wonder if that consideration is valid during the playoffs?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 6:21 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
During the regular season, suspensions take into account the previous conduct of the player under review. For example, a repeater offender like Marchand, would receive a longer suspension than a player who had never been suspended, and yet they may have done the exact same thing. I wonder if that consideration is valid during the playoffs?
Playoffs are always a lottery when it comes to these sorts of situations. AFAIK they take into account previous suspension/disciplinary history regardless of season or playoffs.

Morrissey has a hearing today for the cross check. If he had been ejected from the game he wouldn't have a hearing today. If he had been given a minor penalty then...maybe no hearing? It's always a mess. Either way, at this point Minnesota probably would have preferred the 5 minute PP given Winnipeg's depth on defense.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Playoffs are always a lottery when it comes to these sorts of situations. AFAIK they take into account previous suspension/disciplinary history regardless of season or playoffs.

Morrissey has a hearing today for the cross check. If he had been ejected from the game he wouldn't have a hearing today. If he had been given a minor penalty then...maybe no hearing? It's always a mess. Either way, at this point Minnesota probably would have preferred the 5 minute PP given Winnipeg's depth on defense.
Probably why Kadri got 3 games. He has been suspended twice and fined twice by the league, before his recent incident against Boston.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 7:42 PM
Near Generational

Quote:

The NHL does not suspend for missed calls by officials.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 7:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
The NHL does not suspend for missed calls by officials.
They don't, but if Morrissey had been given a 5+ejection for his cross check he almost certainly would not be having a hearing today with the NHL. Most would see that punishment as enough for the hit, but since he hasn't received any punishment yet the NHL will likely (or not, who knows) provide it via other means (fine, suspension).

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:

Go to the 24 sec mark of the this clip and tell me again how Scheifele was onside? Is there a reverse angle clip somewhere that shows him onside?

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/winni...t-first-period

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 9:59 PM
jammon member

Quote:

I hope that was a facetious comment, because the NHL Player Safety has been a joke. They miss obvious calls that don't result in any action and the whole series between Vegas and LA was questionable in the suspension they gave to Doughty. They took away LA's best defenceman for a game for a questionable call. Ridiculous. If you're going to make a statement for the playoffs, make sure it's the right one. Not to mention all the other missed infractions during the opening round of the playoffs.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/04/16/nh...absolute-joke/

Last edited by Jammon; Apr 18, 2018 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 10:01 PM

That missed cross-check might have cost the Wild the series. Good chance they would've had a 5 minute PP and some of that would've been 5 on 3 as they were on a PP when it happened. To add insult to injury the Jets scored soon after.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Go to the 24 sec mark of the this clip and tell me again how Scheifele was onside? Is there a reverse angle clip somewhere that shows him onside?

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/winni...t-first-period
Where was he offside? No question he had cleared the zone.

Another angle, he cleared the zone by a good 3 feet. The fact this is even in question is a testament to his speed that it's not easily picked up.

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Apr 18, 2018 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Added second angle

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada