HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:34 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Nonsense.

Not only did they not have the common language, breadth of economic linkages, etc or civil society that this requires, but they didn’t have the concept. Nationhood is an invented societal construct, which became popular in the 18th and probably dates no earlier than the 16th century. The people of Elizabethan England considered themselves a nation; the citizens of Charlemagne’s empire, Rome or Athens did not.

To call the early peoples of North America “nations” is to further impose European norms and structure on a non-European culture and society. I understand that modern tribal leaders in Canada might have embraced it, but that only shows that they don’t understand the term or know history.
How very European of you. Europeans are very rigid about terms and ideas and why I find Europe suffocating at times. I'd argue that you have this all backwards. You're imposing European ideas about nationhood on these aboriginal people. These tribes had their own languages, customs, traditions, and ancestral lands. They were and are nations within a nation and the First Nations people of Canada. This is what they wish to be called and that's precisely what we call them.

Imo, the term 'Native American' is far too abstract and homogenous. If that's what they want to be called in the US, so be it. In Canada, they do not. And btw, not all aboriginals in Canada are described as First Nations. We also have Metis and Inuit.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:51 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
How very European of you. Europeans are very rigid about terms and ideas and why I find Europe suffocating at times. I'd argue that you have this all backwards. You're imposing European ideas about nationhood on these aboriginal people. These tribes had their own languages, customs, traditions, and ancestral lands. They were and are nations within a nation and the First Nations people of Canada. This is what they wish to be called and that's precisely what we call them.

Imo, the term 'Native American' is far too abstract and homogenous. If that's what they want to be called in the US, so be it. In Canada, they do not. And btw, not all aboriginals in Canada are described as First Nations. We also have Metis and Inuit.
i believe england regards the canadian lands as a first nation. certainment le french do of quebec.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:58 AM
The New Republic

I believe Canada is regarded by the English as the '1st Realm' but we're splitting hairs.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:58 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

A Wisconsin Badger avatar is not very European.

Damn those address bars. SSP would be a much better place without them.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 1:32 PM

Jesus, people, NONE of this has ANYTHING to do with the topic.

Move on.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post

Move on.
Until there’s an announcement from Amazon, there is nothing to say about the topic.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 4:35 PM

I for one think we should have another 10 pages of people cheerleading for their cities.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:13 PM
I am the law!

Quote:

Move on.
Clearly you haven't followed this thread much. It's fucking epic. What hasn't been covered indirectly through city boosterism. I hope they never choose an HQ2 site.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:21 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:

Move on.
My wife ordered cat litter from Amazon the other day.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 7:44 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

in other unrelated news, apple is back in play for becoming the first trillion dollar company this year:

https://nypost.com/2018/02/27/apple-...llion-company/

maybe they will build a new flying saucer h2 out east?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
in other unrelated news, apple is back in play for becoming the first trillion dollar company this year:

https://nypost.com/2018/02/27/apple-...llion-company/

maybe they will build a new flying saucer h2 out east?
What do they mean “on track”? Can I borrow their crystal ball?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 4:13 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

who needs the four sites batted around on actual land when you can build on the hudson just above bpc:

https://nypost.com/2018/03/01/invest...in-the-hudson/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 4:20 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
What do they mean “on track”? Can I borrow their crystal ball?
if you had bothered to read past the headline you would see it means it is predicted to happen between may and august.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 5:33 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
who needs the four sites batted around on actual land when you can build on the hudson just above bpc:

https://nypost.com/2018/03/01/invest...in-the-hudson/
I laughed a disproportionate amount at "actual land"

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 3:04 PM

What does Amazon/Bezos think of Georgia now?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-over-nra-feud

Amazon is under pressure to stop streaming NRATV - what if they acquiesce now or in the future? Or if they decide to make any other business decision that angers conservatives? If I were Amazon, I'd tread carefully with GA.

On the whole, it's a very minor move but the optics look terrible. I'm curious to see what the economic repercussions will be (although it should be noted, the "punishment" is still a proposal and hasn't been passed). Still, you'd think by now States would have learned from NC's bathroom bill fiasco (some $3.75B in economic losses).

Last edited by McBane; Mar 2, 2018 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 3:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i deleted out more chicago vs. atlanta bullshit.

knock it off.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 7:07 PM
The New Republic

Not many details yet. This is the former Unilever soap factory site adjacent to the Portlands. The plan is for a large office development built around a major transit hub to counter balance Union Station. Great Gulf currently has 38 acres amassed.

Quote:
Massive Toronto Project to Lure Amazon Envisions 50,000 Workers
By Natalie Wong
March 1, 2018, 5:00 AM EST

First Gulf mulls IPO, bonds for $6.3 billion development
Site proposed for Amazon HQ2; next to Google’s smart city

First Gulf Development Corp. is considering everything from an initial public offering to bond financing to get Canada’s biggest office project off the ground -- 12 million square feet of space in Toronto that will hold more than 50,000 workers and cost about C$8 billion ($6.3 billion) to build.

The company expects to get planning approval by June to start development on the 60 acre (24-hectare) site known as East Harbour, which the city officially pitched for Amazon’s HQ2. The project, located east of the financial core and next to the smart city proposed by Google parent Alphabet Inc., will include a mix of office, retail and institutional space.

Rendering of East Harbour project
Source: First Gulf

“The scale of this is not something that we have seen in Canada,” said Derek Goring, vice president of development of Toronto-based First Gulf, adding that the raising of capital is still some way off. “We’re not changing anything that we’re doing as a result of the Amazon bid, so if it happens, then it simply accelerates a project that the city wanted and that we wanted to do anyway,” he said. And even if it’s unlikely Amazon will move its new headquarters outside of the U.S., that doesn’t mean they won’t need new space amid the e-commerce boom, he said.

Link to whole article: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...eeks-financing

Last edited by isaidso; Mar 2, 2018 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 7:10 PM

wow

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 7:10 PM
Dryer lint inspector

They even rendered in food trucks and hiptsers picnicking in the grass.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 7:32 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
They even rendered in food trucks and hiptsers picnicking in the grass.
I noticed that too. I wish they'd leave stuff like that out but it seems they all do it these days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions