HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 4:50 PM
BANNED

The Future Face of Halifax

Stepping away from opinions of what should be built in this city, and where (and even how), Halifax now has a decent number of proposals, in-progress constructions, and some recent finishes. I felt it necessary to show all of you this picture, produced by a studious friend of mine for one of his college classes, depicting the downtown's future density.

The point of this crude graphic is to reveal the potential aesthetic.

These areas of development are creating a new cityscape, as you can all see... the downtown is expanding to encompass not just the areas of Barrington and Spring Garden--but the university campuses as well.

How does this aerial strike you?

Does the future face of Halifax remind you, perhaps, of another city? Boston is a city I occasionally hear referenced, though I have a minimal agreeance with this impression.

Citadel Hill is certainly more brilliant with a more present border of infrustructure.

Also, I thank you for your tolerance of this aged picture, as you forgive the missing developments (and renovations).

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 5:02 PM

You actually beat me to doing one - I've got a more recent photo of Halifax with cruise ships docking and I was going to add a bunch of the new buildings (plus my concept for Agricola/Quinpool densification).

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 5:20 PM
BANNED

Please post yours. I would appreciate something with more imagination, as your Quinpool/Agricola ideas would bring.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 7:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Nice picture. I also wanted to do something similar with the newer aerials.

I have some older images like this in an online photo gallery. One example also includes outlines of newer buildings: http://www.pbase.com/halifaxphoto/image/76236656

That one is kind of interesting because I think people don't really appreciate how many new buildings have been built. Once they are complete it is easy for them to blend into the cityscape. An exhaustive aerial shot with new or under construction buildings would include dozens of projects -- actually quite impressive for a city the size of Halifax. That is part of the reasons why it's frustrating to read stuff like "first development downtown in 20 years".

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 3:56 AM

Maybe it wouldn't be quite as impressive besides kings wharf, but it would be interesting to see a Dartmouth model. I currently lack any real skills or I'd give it a shot.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos