HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:22 PM

Vera Katz was a remarkable women who leaves behind an incredible legacy. From the Willamette Week article:

Quote:
Katz's dozen years at City Hall shaped Portland as we know it, with the development of the the Moda Center, the Pearl District, the Portland Streetcar, the Eastbank Esplanade, South Waterfront and other Portland landmarks. Even a deal that went sideways initially, the renovation of the aging facility then known as Civic Stadium into what is now Providence Park, paved the way for the explosive popularity of the Portland Timbers and Thorns.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:41 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I don't think Portland has ever had a mayor as great as the Honorable Mayor Katz. She is much loved, and very much missed.

Vera Katz, former Portland mayor, dies at 84
Updated 5:37 PM; Posted 10:15 AM
By The Oregonian/OregonLive

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i...2box_targeted_

...(continues)
This is a major loss to Portland and someone who will truly be missed, but at the same time, she left the city with so many great things to always remember her by. We will miss you, Mayor Katz.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:26 PM
Registered Ugly

I gotta ask - periodically I look at Portland real estate on Zillow, but I'm exceedingly put off by the property tax bills. Is it just me, or are the properties on the west side of the city taxed at a higher rate than the rest? Why does a $700,000 house on the west side have a nearly $16,000 annual tax bill while a $900,000 house in Laurelhurst have a tax bill of $10,000?

I understand Measure 50, but it seems like this east-west divide is more than just the result of sales, but maybe I'm wrong. The less expensive house was last sold in 2005, the Laurelhurst property was sold in 2021. Am I missing something?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 5:22 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I gotta ask - periodically I look at Portland real estate on Zillow, but I'm exceedingly put off by the property tax bills. Is it just me, or are the properties on the west side of the city taxed at a higher rate than the rest? Why does a $700,000 house on the west side have a nearly $16,000 annual tax bill while a $900,000 house in Laurelhurst have a tax bill of $10,000?

I understand Measure 50, but it seems like this east-west divide is more than just the result of sales, but maybe I'm wrong. The less expensive house was last sold in 2005, the Laurelhurst property was sold in 2021. Am I missing something?
It is a combination of Measure 5 and Measure 50 that has created this mess. So what you are seeing are property taxes that are matched in the late 90s. I am amazed neither of these two measures have been reversed since it has completely screwed up property taxes in the state.

Fun fact, the two jerks that came up with both of those measure are dead.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 2:08 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

More than 50 people found their tires slashed in Portland’s Roseway neighborhood, police say
By Maxine Bernstein | The Oregonian/OregonLive

More than 50 people in Portland’s Roseway neighborhood awoke Saturday to discover their car tires slashed in a bizarre vandalism spree that police said they are continuing to investigate. A North Precinct officer responded to a call about 8:50 a.m. in the 2800 block of Northeast 72nd Avenue.
Source: https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/202...olice-say.html

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:11 AM
BANNED

Damn. What happened to this city

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 6:17 PM

^^^ This really doesn't have anything to do with the topic of this forum.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 10:42 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
^^^ This really doesn't have anything to do with the topic of this forum.
So if this doesn't belong in "Portland Open Thread," then where do general discussion and news items go? I'm happy to post wherever Portland news items that are not development related go.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 12:36 AM

Quote:
So if this doesn't belong in "Portland Open Thread," then where do general discussion and news items go? I'm happy to post wherever Portland news items that are not development related go.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Love it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 4:14 AM
A before E

Quote:
Exactly

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 4:54 AM
Registered Ugly

Here we go again with Portland mods making up forum rules that don’t exist. Literally nowhere do the rules say the mods can dictate what people can discuss, so long as it’s respectful.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:18 AM

My dude, you opened up a thread whose last post was almost five years ago, and shortly afterwards post a random crime story that doesn't even have a tangential connection what has ever been discussed on this forum. Do you really need a list of rules to realize that this might not exactly be welcome?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:22 AM
Registered Ugly

You literally closed the thread where I could have posted it, so a post called “Portland open thread” seemed the only place I could post it. If you scan back through this thread, the posts are all over the place.

And yes, please point me to rules, because the copy I have doesn’t say people can’t post news topics of interest and then be harassed by the mod team. I’m not going to be intimidated by this power trip.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:32 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

How is it not welcome? This is an open thread. I give subterranean credit for searching for this thread to post it in instead of derailing another.

Like it or not, our entire city - if not our whole state - is going to have to come to terms with the current state of decline and what to do about it.

I remember reading a quote from a Portland Police officer saying how he never imagined seeing this level of gun violence here. That was at least two years ago, and the gun related violence has only gotten worse. Significantly worse.

Reddit's Portland sub is trash. It's not a place for serious conversations. And while I realize skyscraperpage might not be the place either, the title of this thread is, and I quote, "Portland Open Thread."

Honestly, I assumed you were referring to the latest spam comment of one liner no-content negativity from the poster who has already been banned at least once for that nonsense.

Posts about property damage and violence seem like they do belong in a forum about urban planning and development since rising crime and violence are an obstacle in the way of everything we are here to discuss Portland becoming.

We all hate it, but ignoring it is as bad as denying it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
How is it not welcome? This is an open thread. I give subterranean credit for searching for this thread to post it in instead of derailing another.

Like it or not, our entire city - if not our whole state - is going to have to come to terms with the current state of decline and what to do about it.

I remember reading a quote from a Portland Police officer saying how he never imagined seeing this level of gun violence here. That was at least two years ago, and the gun related violence has only gotten worse. Significantly worse.

Reddit's Portland sub is trash. It's not a place for serious conversations. And while I realize skyscraperpage might not be the place either, the title of this thread is, and I quote, "Portland Open Thread."

Honestly, I assumed you were referring to the latest spam comment of one liner no-content negativity from the poster who has already been banned at least once for that nonsense.

Posts about property damage and violence seem like they do belong in a forum about urban planning and development since rising crime and violence are an obstacle in the way of everything we are here to discuss Portland becoming.

+1 Well said.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 6:45 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

That is what reddit is for. This forum has always been about architecture and urban planning.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 6:57 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
This forum has always been about architecture and urban planning.
OH, REALLY?

(...did we ever get a definitive answer on whether Stumptown is the new Starbucks-But Better? We had an entire thread on it and no one minded)

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 7:01 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

Portland Parks Foundation says it'll cost about $2M to restore iconic Elk Statue
by KATU Staff

The Portland Parks Foundation on Monday released its cost estimates to restore the iconic Elk Statue and fountain in downtown Portland after they were damaged during protests in 2020 following the murder of George Floyd by a police officer in Minneapolis.
Source: https://katu.com/news/local/portland...nic-elk-statue

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Here we go again with Portland mods making up forum rules that don’t exist. Literally nowhere do the rules say the mods can dictate what people can discuss, so long as it’s respectful.
There is no rule book for this forum. The owner and leadership of SSP, whom I've been in contact with for years, have tasked myself and Iain with keeping this corner alive. We are to use our discretion to keep the forum somewhat on topic and to weed out spammy and anti-social content. That's subjective.

Neither Iain or I have harassed you. Posting is not a guaranteed 1st amendment right, and if someone can't do it respectfully, their ability to post will be restricted. The fact that "CorbinWarrick" is still able to post while being coached by us about appropriateness, instead of permabanned, I think attests to our desire to have a very light moderating hand and assume best intentions from the posters here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues