HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 8:51 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
Calling the Blazers the "Jail Blazers" is old news....We are attracting more fans than the Sonics....
You are?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:51 PM

My bad...but the year if not over yet....

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 5:27 PM
Karma Police

Actually, yeah. We are attracting more fans......

Overall attendance (home and away):

Seattle: 727,768
Portland: 730,136

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 6:01 PM

I saw the same thing, 65....I think as the season progress's more fans are filling the seats as compared to last year...Now is we could only get rid of Paul Allen once and for all.....

Last edited by PacificNW; Jan 29, 2007 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 7:59 PM
A before E

I have been to my first Blazers game this year and loved it. I could easily go back for more games.....not that I am a Blazers fan, although it is fun to root for them now that I live in Portland, but it was fun to watch Miami and Wade hand their asses to them.

Actually the only thing I really hate about the Blazers is Paul Allen. If he sold the team to a better owner, things might be different. But as sucky as the Blazers are, they have a great fan base.

I personally would love to see this area pick up a second pro team. I prefer football, but either football or baseball or even hockey would be cool. Plus it would be cool to get a new stadium in the region, those massive things are always fun to watch being built.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 11:20 PM

which game did you go to? i just went to a very exciting timberwolves game it was awesome

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 11:59 PM
A before E

it was the one on January 7th against the Heat.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 8:17 PM
bnkhjsdlgj,sdgnsdkljvfjgl

The only reason Pittsburgh isn't a "strong" market (according to the economist interviewed in this story) is because Pirates ownership is the most incompetent in Major League Baseball, and Pittsburghers have better things to do than waste money by purchasing tickets to watch a perennial loser owned someone who's not at all interested in fielding a competitive team. Portlanders would get tired of giving money to Kevin fucking McClatchy within three to five years, which would make their "lucrative" market just as "weak" as Pittsburgh's is now.

I guess Chicago is a "weak" NHL market too? The Blackhawks have one of the worst attendance rates in the NHL. Gee, maybe there is a correlation between the quality of a team's ownership ad the "strength" of their market.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 8:30 PM

I've noticed when Portland talks about gaining an MLB team, all these preceived 'weak' markets come out to defend themselves.

Look, Portland isn't actively recruiting a team that already has a home. We are just making sure everyone is clear that we have the will, market, and space to get this thing together when the opportunity arrives. Keep buying your tickets, change ownership, build new stadiums, but when a team tires of their market, their market tires of them, or an expansion to league is planned, Portland's waiting.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 8:50 PM
Never Dell

I think it would be great for Portland. As a Seattle fan I'd also like to see a rivalry develop, with both in the AL.

On the other hand, it's tough being a small market team. Even Seattle is barely large enough for real ongoing viability (ps, we still get decent attendance and TV/radio audience). For Portland's team to be successful the locals would have to love a perennially struggling team, unless you got lucky with great leadership like Oakland or Minneapolis.

I do think Nike and Addidas would be positives. One might get naming rights. Both would get luxury boxes. Portland would be at a disadvantage though in that you don't have many large companies who would get boxes.

We haven't dealt with the rain issue. Though Seattle's roof isn't used very often, there are many days where rain MIGHT happen, and the uncertainty would be a real problem. If the forecast suggested rain tomorrow, would you make plans with your friends and buy tickets today? I'd expect a fair number of people to be discouraged by any hint of weather risk, particularly those who live far away.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 9:04 PM
bnkhjsdlgj,sdgnsdkljvfjgl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I've noticed when Portland talks about gaining an MLB team, all these preceived 'weak' markets come out to defend themselves.

Look, Portland isn't actively recruiting a team that already has a home. We are just making sure everyone is clear that we have the will, market, and space to get this thing together when the opportunity arrives. Keep buying your tickets, change ownership, build new stadiums, but when a team tires of their market, their market tires of them, or an expansion to league is planned, Portland's waiting.
It's a natural impulse for us to defend ourselves, considering everyone else's tone seems to revolve around Pittsburgh being "unworthy" of a MLB team, and then citing attendance figures to back up their claims, when really, most people have no idea what Pirates fans have had to put up with for 14 (going on 15) years now. We haven't had a winning season since 1992, and most of it has to do with shitty, tight-assed ownership. Why waste money to watch a lousy baseball team? Because Cubs fans do? Feh. Cubs fans are the only fans I can think of in any sport who still show up at games in spite of the continued futility of the team. They're the exception, not the rule. The Blackhawks are in Chicago, and they suck too, but no one goes to their games. And I don't blame the fans either. Blackhawks ownership hasn't exactly given their fans anything to cheer about in recent years. But that doesn't mean Chicago is "unworthy" of an NHL team. Similarly, those who say that Pittsburgh is "unworthy" of a MLB team while citing attendance figures can't see the forest for the trees. There's a legitimate reason we don't go to the games: Because sports owners who are only interested in making a profit, without any care as to whether or not the team is any good, don't deserve to make a profit. I said nothing of whether or not Portland was "worthy" of a MLB team, just that Portlanders would get sick of the same shit that Pittsburghers have had to put up with since Kevin McClatchy bought the Pirates. My post was less about Portland, and more about Pittsburgh and it's ownership-induced market weakness. Basically, the whole point of my post was that I'm sick and tired of people pretending that Pittsburgh "can't support a MLB team." Just because we choose not to doesn't mean we can't. There's no doubt in my mind that Portland could support a second sport, but why would anyone support a team with incompetent ownership? That's my secondary point. Move the Pirates to Portland, and the only thing that'd change is that the team plays in a different city --- the same ownership would kill fan interest out there too.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 10:21 PM

Hahahaa...you could almost change Pittsburgh to Portland, Pirates to Blazers, and Kevin McClatchy to Paul Allen and we've got a very similiar story here...

Any team moving to Portland would probably change names, possible ownership, and see a big turnover in players and employees. I think Portlanders would look to any new team entering our market as our new team, even if it is relocating from somewhere else. For the first two or three years the novelty would keep it going even if the team sucked, if the players get out into the community through pep rallies in the square, volunteering on visible projects, and give tickets away to kids performing above the average in school, as the Blazers once did, they could easily build a rabid and dedicated fan base. It all depends on the PR. Portland metro was not even half the current size when the Blazers came and the town supported the team like no other, so I think it depends more on the ability to connect with the community, than see a perennial playoff team.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 11:40 PM

MLB then NFL...

i vote to upgrade PGE park...

if that doesn't work...next to the rose quarter is great...that way you can have an economy of sports related shops and bars that can succeed year round.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 11:44 PM

↑I agree eric....

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:22 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
i vote to upgrade PGE park...
I don't think that's an option now that the Civic has been built. The upgrade PGE called for extending the park to Burnside. Without the space, you could only expand PGE if you were to tear down the MAC. And that sure as shit aint gonna happen.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:24 PM

PGE will never be appropriate for MLB.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 1:19 AM

Portland Diamond Project (MLB) | Proposed

It's been almost two years since we've heard anything. The teams that are candidates to relocate due to stadium issues with their current cities are the Oakland A's and Florida Marlins. These teams really are our last hope. We wont be seeing another expansion team for a long time.

Quote:
The Portland metropolitan region (population 2.3 million) is the 22nd largest metro area in the country and is the largest in the nation without a Major League Baseball franchise. Portland is by far the largest metro area in the nation with only one major professional sports franchise; the region's ratio of population to professional sports franchises is behind only New York and Los Angeles.

Last edited by Sioux612; Oct 7, 2007 at 1:30 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 6:38 AM

I would love to see another professional team in PDX! Man, It's hard to choose between football and baseball. Sipping a local IPA and relaxing in the summer sun at a ballpark or a high energy stadium with testosterone flowing sipping a local IPA watching drizzle soaked football. I'll take either one! Did I hear that we were going to have Major league Soccor sometime soon? I also am inclined to believe that Las Vegas, with 1.8 million in it's metro, has the highest % urban population without a professional sports team in the country.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 9:48 PM
Registered

With interleague play and the uneven divisions, MLB should expand add two more teams sometime in the future. Their current priorities is fixing the ballpark situations in Florida. After that, its time for expansion. Portland, Charlotte, and San Antonio will all be players I would presume.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 11:32 PM
No Comprende

DANg this is great News, I hope Portland Gets both A MLB ANd MLS team, that would be awesome,
THAt kinda sucks becuase portland is one of the greatest cities in the united states and only has one major sports team,
I found a link where you guys can look at proposed sites and facts about the possible new stadium
http://www.oregonstadiumcampaign.com...mlb_082604.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment