HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 8:43 PM
Honored Member

The Port container statistics have been released for the first quarter of 2016. The total number of TEU's (Twenty ft Equivalent Units) handled has increased 28% over the first quarter of 2015. In terms of metric tonnes of container cargo, the increase is 16.9% and 37.8% for import and export respectively - http://portofhalifax.ca/cargo/statistics/

It has been widely speculated that the deep Halifax harbour will lead to an advantage because of the utilization of larger Post Panamax container ships, so hopefully the significant increases will continue.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:28 AM

Halifax port boom tops all in North America

Quote:
In the first six months of this year, container traffic at the Port of Halifax jumped 19.6 per cent over the comparable period in 2015. Halifax has the highest percentage growth in container traffic for the first half of this year compared to other North American ports.

During the comparable period, the Port of Vancouver saw a 5.5 per cent drop and the Port of Montreal saw a 2.3 per cent hit in the number of containers.

In the United States, the ports of New York and New Jersey saw container traffic slide by 1.7 per cent. And while there has been growth at some ports, like Miami which saw an increase of 5.5 per cent, the biggest percentage jump so far this year has been in Halifax.

Industry insiders are chalking it up to three things: a low Canadian dollar; fast and efficient turnaround of container cargo in Halifax; and the port being ready to handle the new, big ships coming from Asia through the newly-widened and lengthened Suez and Panama canals.

Asian cargo already accounts for roughly half the Port of Halifax’s container cargo.

In August last year, the 8,450-TEU CMA CGM Vivaldi, the biggest ship to call on the Port of Halifax until then, docked at the Halterm Terminal. The Vivaldi, which uses the Suez Canal, brought with it containers from China, Malaysia and Vietnam and left with containers headed for New York, Norfolk and Savannah.

It was the first new service to call at Halifax using the Suez Canal — and it was soon followed by the arrival of the even larger 8,750-TEU Hapag-Lloyd Budapest Express, a service of the G6 Alliance, that docked at the Ceres Terminal.

Since then, other ships capable of handling up to 9,400 TEU have come to Halifax and the port authority is already in the early stages of a master plan to get itself ready for even larger container vessels of more than 10,000 TEUs.

The low loonie helps. With the Canadian dollar bouncing around 77 cents American, Canadian terminal operators benefit from relatively lower docking fees and stevedoring costs than do their U.S. counterparts, said Craig Hennigar, Colliers International’s director of market intelligence, in an interview.

“In Halifax, we have a very low dwell time,” said Farguson. “Although we may not be the port closest to our customer, because we have such a low dwell time we may be able to get it there faster.”

The Port of Halifax aims for a dwell time of two days. In Vancouver, the dwell times are routinely5-7 days, said Snowden.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 7:35 AM
Honored Member

Hopefully the growth in the container port will continue. I think many people enjoy seeing large ships come into the port.

Having a working port makes Halifax a more interest city, in my opinion. More importantly it generates direct jobs and spin off jobs.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Hopefully the growth in the container port will continue. I think many people enjoy seeing large ships come into the port.

Having a working port makes Halifax a more interest city, in my opinion. More importantly it generates direct jobs and spin off jobs.
Exactly. Ports need to take advantage of the fact that they are ports.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 2:53 AM
armchairitect

They just hired another 50 longshoreman. The Last group was hired in 2006

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 11:33 AM

AllNS reporting this morning that Ceres and Halterm in advanced negotiations to merge into Halterm, abandoning Fairview Terminal. Ceres is looking to break lease with Port Authority. Brings more urgency to trucking on Hollis issue.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
AllNS reporting this morning that Ceres and Halterm in advanced negotiations to merge into Halterm, abandoning Fairview Terminal. Ceres is looking to break lease with Port Authority. Brings more urgency to trucking on Hollis issue.
Completely the wrong thing to do. People forget that nearly 20 years ago Halifax was in a (somewhat bogus) competition instigated by Maersk/Sea-Land for a "superport" which was going to be sited on rock fill next to the rail lines in Bedford basin, adjacent to the Ceres site. The plans I saw showed the site running from just north of the Fairview overpass to approximately just south of Flamingo Drive. It was to be a huge redevelopment that would free up the Halterm site for other uses. Unfortunately it turned out that Maersk was just using the process to get the Port of New York to commit to dredging their harbor to accommodate the bigger ships Maersk was developing, and Halifax was never actually in line for anything.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:55 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Completely the wrong thing to do. People forget that nearly 20 years ago Halifax was in a (somewhat bogus) competition instigated by Maersk/Sea-Land for a "superport" which was going to be sited on rock fill next to the rail lines in Bedford basin, adjacent to the Ceres site. The plans I saw showed the site running from just north of the Fairview overpass to approximately just south of Flamingo Drive. It was to be a huge redevelopment that would free up the Halterm site for other uses. Unfortunately it turned out that Maersk was just using the process to get the Port of New York to commit to dredging their harbor to accommodate the bigger ships Maersk was developing, and Halifax was never actually in line for anything.

It was a different situation 20 years ago since ships were smaller. The problem now is that the new 10,000 TEU container ships won't fit under the bridges.

I wonder how much the South End Halterm terminal can expand.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
Absolutely. The status quo is bad enough; more trucks downtown shouldn't be an option.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 5:31 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I thought that was the reason for the Big Lift on the MacDonald bridge, to accommodate larger ships!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I thought that was the reason for the Big Lift on the MacDonald bridge, to accommodate larger ships!
Nah, the Big Lift was just because the bridge was due for a deck replacement, but HHB figured (wisely) that they might as well lift the deck anyway to accommodate future large ships. It was just a side benefit.

But to get the really big ships to Fairview, we'll need to wait for a re-decking of the Mackay, because it's still too low.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
It was a different situation 20 years ago since ships were smaller. The problem now is that the new 10,000 TEU container ships won't fit under the bridges.

I wonder how much the South End Halterm terminal can expand.

Those mega-ships will never call here on a regular basis.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 10:06 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Those mega-ships will never call here on a regular basis.
I am not sure what percentage will be the mega ships but Halifax is already docking ships over 9000 TEU's. A port that can't handle the large ships won't be on routes to the eastern US ports that can handle such ships.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 1:25 PM

Quote:
I am not sure what percentage will be the mega ships but Halifax is already docking ships over 9000 TEU's. A port that can't handle the large ships won't be on routes to the eastern US ports that can handle such ships.
All the more reason to develop an alternative on the Dartmouth side. No point in docking ships at Halterm if their cargo has to travel on Hollis/Water Sts. Raising the bridges is a foolhardy way to go since as soon as that is done the shipping lines will develop the next generation of mega-ship that will not fit underneath.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 4:48 PM

Quote:
All the more reason to develop an alternative on the Dartmouth side. No point in docking ships at Halterm if their cargo has to travel on Hollis/Water Sts. Raising the bridges is a foolhardy way to go since as soon as that is done the shipping lines will develop the next generation of mega-ship that will not fit underneath.
Absolutely. I would love a redevelopment of the decommissioned refineries and surrounding industrial lands for container traffic and allow Ceres and Halterm to become non-industrial.

Great highway access in Eastern Passage, the problem of course is rail. We don't want increased train traffic rolling through King's Wharf and Alderney.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 6:54 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Absolutely. I would love a redevelopment of the decommissioned refineries and surrounding industrial lands for container traffic and allow Ceres and Halterm to become non-industrial.

Great highway access in Eastern Passage, the problem of course is rail. We don't want increased train traffic rolling through King's Wharf and Alderney.

This is an interesting idea. Has it ever been discussed as a real possibility?

There seems to be plenty of space and the harbour depth seems sufficient (image shown below). Imperial Oil tried to sell the refinery in 2013 but since they couldn't, they converted it to a terminal - http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-Eng..._20130619.aspx

Here is a Google Maps link for the Dartmouth Refinery location - https://www.google.com/maps/place/44...3.531917?hl=en

I don't think increase in train traffic would be a major problem, since I think CN is currently only runniong one train a day to Halterm.

(source: http://www.bedfordbasin.ca/halifaxha...arbour-eng.php )

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 7:00 PM
Honored Member

If Halterm and Ceres merge and ship volume dramatically increases, then I assume the Fairview terminal could be restarted to handle ships under 9,000 TEU, which might actually be a large part of the shipping market.

As far as the Cogswell interchange is concerned, maybe there is a way to have a temporary road for container trucks through the construction zone. In any case, a North West Arm passage should have been built decades ago with a route close to the rail cut.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 1:30 AM
armchairitect

Quote:
This is an interesting idea. Has it ever been discussed as a real possibility?

There seems to be plenty of space and the harbour depth seems sufficient (image shown below). Imperial Oil tried to sell the refinery in 2013 but since they couldn't, they converted it to a terminal - http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-Eng..._20130619.aspx

Here is a Google Maps link for the Dartmouth Refinery location - https://www.google.com/maps/place/44...3.531917?hl=en

I don't think increase in train traffic would be a major problem, since I think CN is currently only runniong one train a day to Halterm.

(source: http://www.bedfordbasin.ca/halifaxha...arbour-eng.php )
the Refinery and the tank farm are 2 separate beasts. The refinery is gone, but the tank farm and the 3 docks are still in use. so that cuts into the land available - and no clear water access.

interesting that Ceres wants out - they are thought to be the better managed terminal, and stuff isnt always broken there. i suspect they see the container lines moving to larger ships, and as a result, lost work.

im not sure i buy that - there is plenty of work for both terminals, however the smaller vessels that call at halterm would need to shift to fairview. also the 9000+ teu vessels cant make montreal, so there could be a market for a feeder service.

CN runs 1 inbound and 1 outbound train from Rockingham yard daily. there are constant movements to shuffle cars from the yard to the terminals and back again. on the Dartmouth side cn runs a daily train from moncton and back, plus the gypsum train daily, as well as the regualar shuffling of autoracks to autoport.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 2:19 AM
Honored Member

There was an interesting story in the September 19th edition of allnovascotia.com regarding a 20 year comprehensive plan for the Halifax Port Authority that will include a study of the possibility of moving Halterm across the harbour to Shearwater.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 2:24 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Think of the land that would free up for development.... it may not be a bad idea and would free up all the heavy traffic on the peninsula.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy