HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 7:41 PM

I have to say that I've been a long time fan of global's morning news out here in Calgary. When CTV morning live came along, I watched it a bit as I would get ready for work. I have to admit, I'm neutral on either. Aisling Tomei (formerly Slattery), who is the host of the CTV show, used to be a reporter in Halifax (we seem to be attracting them west).

They are both pretty good quality here in Alberta. Hopefully the Global one will be good.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 7:54 PM

Doesn't CTV still use the same set they used like 20 years ago? They must be horribly under funded. They also use really outdated graphics.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
As noted, at least this will be in HD. CTV should be ashamed that they still have not converted local production here to that format.
For this reason alone I cannot watch CTV's local news anymore. It's too bad as Steve Murphy is a great evening news anchor.

I think the ratings have still been good so they don't feel the need to spend the money on HD equipment or a new set.

Both Global TV's HD and CBC's HD newscasts look like they are a decade ahead of CTV. CTV's looks like your watching a 90's newscast.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 2:22 AM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
For this reason alone I cannot watch CTV's local news anymore. It's too bad as Steve Murphy is a great evening news anchor.

I think the ratings have still been good so they don't feel the need to spend the money on HD equipment or a new set.

Both Global TV's HD and CBC's HD newscasts look like they are a decade ahead of CTV. CTV's looks like your watching a 90's newscast.
And it's not just the lack of HD. Everything about CTV's local news is dated. The set, the graphics, the outfits and even Cindy Day's haircuts look about 15 years old.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 2:32 AM

Everyone on CTV besides Steve Murphy seem very amateurish and at times a pain to watch. I particularly find Day to be annoying.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
And it's not just the lack of HD. Everything about CTV's local news is dated. The set, the graphics, the outfits and even Cindy Day's haircuts look about 15 years old.
I'm glad other people notice this as well. It's almost as if they are in a time warp, because you would have thought someone would have told them that it is 2013 not 1987...

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 7:08 AM

But that's Laura Lee-Langley, not Cindy Day. She was way better; as was Bruce Graham. When MITV came along (the predecessor to Global), they ended up taking both Bruce and Laura Lee with them. Along with most of the viewers as I recall...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 11:32 AM

I watched some of Global's morning news, and was actually impressed how much better it was already than ctv's morning live. They actually showed traffic in Halifax on the bridges and that there was an accident on hammonds plains road.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I watched some of Global's morning news, and was actually impressed how much better it was already than ctv's morning live. They actually showed traffic in Halifax on the bridges and that there was an accident on hammonds plains road.
They are doing some good things. Jill Chappell is much less annoying doing the weather than the CTV bunch. Crystal Garrett is still annoying, pretty much on par with Heidi on CTV, and both shows give time to too many internet videos that are of zero interest. Fortunately so far there has been no clowning around with any sort of in-house doofus, the way CTV (Cyril Lunney) and the originator of the Breakfast Television format, City-TV (Jennifer Valentyne) still do.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
But that's Laura Lee-Langley, not Cindy Day. She was way better; as was Bruce Graham. When MITV came along (the predecessor to Global), they ended up taking both Bruce and Laura Lee with them. Along with most of the viewers as I recall...
I had forgotten that Steve Murphy used to play the host role on Live at Five before taking on the news anchor role. Notice the difference in reporting on winter weather - this was really low-key despite 15 cm of snow and a traffic fatality, as compared to the current over-the-top breathless panic-inducing sensationalist weather reporting upon just a few cm of snow.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Notice the difference in reporting on winter weather - this was really low-key despite 15 cm of snow and a traffic fatality, as compared to the current over-the-top breathless panic-inducing sensationalist weather reporting upon just a few cm of snow.
SNOW-MA-GEDDON!!!!!!eleventy!11!1 EVERYBODY PANIC!!!11!!11!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 8:42 PM

Apparently Bruce Graham went on to become the news director at MITV, which I forgot. Now he's an actor/writer.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:02 PM

What local channels/ new stations do you have? I'm curious

NTV use to be really bad as well but it has come a long way in the past 5 years (like it went 17 years ahead)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
What local channels/ new stations do you have? I'm curious

NTV use to be really bad as well but it has come a long way in the past 5 years (like it went 17 years ahead)
CBC Halifax
Global Maritimes
CTV Atlantic
CTV two Atlantic

Newfoundland is really the only province in Canada without local outlets of the main private networks (CTV and Global). Although CTV and Global have studios in Halifax to serve all three Maritime provinces.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
CBC Halifax
Global Maritimes
CTV Atlantic
CTV two Atlantic

Newfoundland is really the only province in Canada without local outlets of the main private networks (CTV and Global). Although CTV and Global have studios in Halifax to serve all three Maritime provinces.
Thanks, I was aware that a couple of them covered all of the maritimes.
Are we the only province in eastern canada (minus Quebec) to have a very predominant local channel? (not only a channel but news etc.) We get some global content through NTV as well as some stories from CTV (we also get correspondents on international issues from CNN who do reports for NTV)

I do not know why we do not have Global? :S CBC is very big here too and have had to really adapt their local news due to the competition with NTV such as adding a half an hour pre news show everyday.

interesting stuff, strong local network but missing some major national ones

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 11:45 AM

The Global Maritime Morning show is painful to watch... yet another extremely Halifax-centric news program that claims to be a "Maritime" show.

It's never a good sign when the host starts out their claimed "regional" morning show with a cheerful "good morning, Halifax!"

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 1:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Oh I don't know CdnEh, I'm always interested in hearing about the latest dognapping in Halifax....

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Oh I don't know CdnEh, I'm always interested in hearing about the latest dognapping in Halifax....
Don't forget about that pesky crosswalk problem they've had.

Perhaps if they covered more non-Halifax news they wouldn't have to repeat stories every 10 minutes?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
The Global Maritime Morning show is painful to watch... yet another extremely Halifax-centric news program that claims to be a "Maritime" show.

It's never a good sign when the host starts out their claimed "regional" morning show with a cheerful "good morning, Halifax!"
I actually think its an excellent program, they are not trying to do the CTV thing and cater to every little town in the maritimes.

Most morning news programs are focused on a city not a region. They give weather and traffic for the largest population centre. There is approx. 600,000 people that are interested in what is happening in Halifax as many people commute to work to Halifax from Truro, New Minas, Bridgewater etc.

The Global morning news seems so much more professional that CTV morning live.

Halifax is out growing the rest of the region in terms of absolute population so expect more things to become Halifax centric in the future...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post

City-centric news shows happen all across the country. Here in Calgary they are supposed to be for Southern Alberta but in reality you'll never hear about the small(er) towns and cities. And even in a city of 1.2 million + they still talk about the latest dog attacks and other minor things nobody really cares about.

Even on the national newscast its the same thing. I watch CTV News regularly and all they ever talk about is Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton. They'll ocassionally jump to Winnipeg for a crime or cold weather report but Saskatchewan, the Territories, and the Maritimes are out of the picture. Newfoundland hasn't been mentioned nearly as much since Danny left office. I understand that this focus is A) for political reasons, and B) because large populations mean more stories, but they would rather report on a thunderstorm near Toronto that knocks out power to a thousand households before they would report on a Category 2 hurricane in Nova Scotia that immobolizes the entire province.

Oh and didn't you hear the government of Halifax purchased New Brunswick and PEI last year. We got a good 2-for-1 deal! Halifax is currently gathering intelligence on people in Cape Breton and the Acadian Peninsula so we can blackmail them into moving here to build ships and plot against Moncton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Well you have to admit its more exciting than hearing about speeding tickets in PEI.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy