HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Nice to see they're proposing retail spaces on the street.
If this street level retail is successful I hope its a catalyst for fleshing out more retail spaces along NE Multnomah. I think there's a big opportunity to create a street level experience that draws people into the mall entrances that have been carved out of the parking enclosure hellscape.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 10:03 AM
A before E

The theater portion still feels like a complete afterthought. Not sure the material and pattern of the facade will even look good. This building addition could turn into a train wreck really quickly.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Design Review Drawings [79 MB] for Lloyd East Anchor Remodel. On Design Commission agenda January 18th.
I really hope the bike center gets realized with this project. Currently, I don't feel comfortable locking up my bike at the Lloyd Center theater if I see a movie.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 2:16 AM

Staff Report and Drawings [126 MB] for OCC Plaza Landscape Improvements.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Staff Report and Drawings [126 MB] for OCC Plaza Landscape Improvements.
Project was approved last week.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 3:57 AM

Not unexpected though official. Sears is closing.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 8:22 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Not unexpected though official. Sears is closing.
About time, though at this point, I really wish they would just tear the whole mall down and redevelop all the land. You can't keep a mall running with just Macy's anchoring it.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:11 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
About time, though at this point, I really wish they would just tear the whole mall down and redevelop all the land. You can't keep a mall running with just Macy's anchoring it.
Indeed. I've been saying that for a decade, but it's not going to happen. It's a shame though. With all of that land to work with, there's so much potential.

Imagine if they leveled it all and buried 1 story of the mall... then reconnected the streets (or made them walking streets?) and built up on the individual blocks with retail and housing.

The mall is a massive bunker that's eating up so much land and cutting a would-be neighborhood in half not to mention wasting over 20 city blocks.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 8:56 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Indeed. I've been saying that for a decade, but it's not going to happen. It's a shame though. With all of that land to work with, there's so much potential.

Imagine if they leveled it all and buried 1 story of the mall... then reconnected the streets (or made them walking streets?) and built up on the individual blocks with retail and housing.

The mall is a massive bunker that's eating up so much land and cutting a would-be neighborhood in half not to mention wasting over 20 city blocks.
I don't know what it is about companies that own malls, even when they are failing, they just want to double down on them and make them even more of a mall rather than look at what is the best use for the building and land.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I don't know what it is about companies that own malls, even when they are failing, they just want to double down on them and make them even more of a mall rather than look at what is the best use for the building and land.
I can't wait for the mall redevelopment to happen at Lloyd. It's happened elsewhere! However, leveling the mall would be an enormous undertaking with years of lost revenue. I'd be surprised if that makes sense on paper these days, but it may not be far off in the future with the coming age of near-instant delivery for web purchases. At some point, commercial storefront in this weird enclosed environment will be obsolete and cheap. Then, the temporary lost revenues will be tolerable.

My understanding of commercial real estate is that they tend to prefer short-term profits (5-7 year payback) - it's been a while since I heard this stat (so I could be off). So I expect a bit more short-term fixes before a bulldozer is employed on this place.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 8:58 PM

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 9:33 PM

14 floors? Not bad.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Perhaps design review will be difficult for a 14+ story building directly adjacent to the Convention Ctr?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Perhaps design review will be difficult for a 14+ story building directly adjacent to the Convention Ctr?
I don't think it will. The lot is also next to two freeways and train tracks. Given that they are planning a 4-story podium with a music venue and commercial opportunities, I think the OCC would welcome anything that makes the district livelier.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I don't think it will. The lot is also next to two freeways and train tracks. Given that they are planning a 4-story podium with a music venue and commercial opportunities, I think the OCC would welcome anything that makes the district livelier.
I have a couple hopes for this site:

1. The ad hoc cycle path along the South side of Lloyd Blvd can become official. This will connect to 7th Ave and the new ped bridge whenever that materializes.

2. The current ped access South along MLK is grossly inadequate. With the addition of this 14 story project as well as the dozen or so new and planned buildings at the Burnside bridgehead, the sidewalk needs widening. Unfortunately, the streetcar and its electricity poles puts constraints on this. I do not know if it is possible to cantilever a ped extension (much like the Broadway Bridge).

Another possibility would be moving the poles to the auto lane to the east of the tracks, and combining this with a separated bike lane.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 2:52 AM

New theater to replace Regal Lloyd Center 10, slated for redevelopment
Updated 4:16 PM; Posted 10:32 AM
By Elliot Njus enjus@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...river_home_pop

Quote:
The Regal Lloyd Center 10 is on its way out, but a replacement theater is expected to be ready for showtime first.

More than 1,300 apartments are planned on the site of the Regal Lloyd Center 10 movie theater at 1510 N.E. Multnomah St., with the first phase of construction expected to begin soon on what's now the theater's parking lot.

The second phase, which includes the theater site and a surface parking lot across the Multnomah Street, will mean the end of the 10-screen movie theater. But mall officials say a new 14-screen theater built in the mall's former Sears space will be finished first.

"It's going to be seamless," said Bob Dye, the Lloyd Center's general manager. "I doubt there will be even one day in between."

Lloyd Center officials confirmed Thursday, after this story was originally published, that Regal would operate the new theater. They said it would include recliners in the auditoriums, a bar and lobby dining options.
...(continues)

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 6:58 PM

LLoyd District Gets a New Crane Up

Article says the crane is up. Didn't see this posted elsewhere.

Home Forward developing 240-unit low-income high-rise in the Lloyd

Tuesday, March 13, 2018
By Jules Rogers jrogers@pamplinmedia.com=
Reporter, The Business Tribune

http://pamplinmedia.com/but/239-news...-in-the-lloyd-

Quote:
There are 240 affordable housing units being added to the Lloyd District in the largest single low-income building Portland has seen since 1969.

Home Forward is developing NE Grand Apartments located at 1010 N.E. Grand, which will be Oregon's largest affordable apartment building financed with low-income housing tax credits in the past 50 years. The 12-floor building's half-block site is located at Block 45 between Hassalo and Holladay streets in the Lloyd District.
...(continues)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 7:42 PM

Latest drawings [84 MB] for Lloyd East Anchor Remodel

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Latest drawings [84 MB] for Lloyd East Anchor Remodel
Remodel was approved last week.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 12:33 AM

Latest Lloyd West Anchor drawings [45 MB] and Staff Memo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland