HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 3:42 AM

Under Armour makes bold Portland expansion, leases former YMCA

Quote:
Under Armour makes bold Portland expansion, leases former YMCA

Under Armour is bringing more of the fight to Nike's backyard.

The company on Monday confirmed it plans to grow its footwear and innovation operations in Portland. The confirmation followed Business Journal inquiries last week about the sale of a nearly 70,000-square-foot former YMCA immediately south of downtown.

"As Under Armour continues its global expansion, Portland has emerged as a strategic hub for the brand, specifically in footwear and innovation," the company said in a statement. "We are excited to grow our footprint in the city."

Sources have confirmed that Under Armour signed a long-term lease for the building. It's expected to move into the building in 2016 after a multi-year renovation.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 7:58 AM
Karma Police

Fantastic news!!

I can see Duniway Park (and Russia) from my house.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 10:52 PM

Duniway Park

Do you think it's within the realm of possibility that Under Armour purchases the Duniway Park track area to provide more of a complete "Corporate Campus" feel, like what is found at Nike and Adidas?

An example from Nike's campus:

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop View Post
Do you think it's within the realm of possibility that Under Armour purchases the Duniway Park track area to provide more of a complete "Corporate Campus" feel, like what is found at Nike and Adidas?

An example from Nike's campus:
Duniway Park is owned by the city. I don't see any scenario where the city sells that land to them. However, I do see a scenario where Under Armour partners with the city to make major improvements to the park perhaps in exchange for some obvious branding. It's pretty clear to me that being next to the park was a pretty major factor in choosing this location. So I expect some news here in the future.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 2:09 AM

Great news for the neighborhood. This empty building has been such an eyesore. I wonder however if they know about the southwest corridor project. Based on what I saw at the technical presentation yesterday, if the swcp uses a tunnel to marquam, at best dunaway park be a huge construction site for three years and then have a train running through it with no stop there. At worst that whole building may be razed. Hard to see in the presentation exactly where they were planning the portal into marquam but they did say they need 4 plus acres of park space as a staging site for the tunnel.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by profx View Post
Great news for the neighborhood. This empty building has been such an eyesore. I wonder however if they know about the southwest corridor project. Based on what I saw at the technical presentation yesterday, if the swcp uses a tunnel to marquam, at best dunaway park be a huge construction site for three years and then have a train running through it with no stop there. At worst that whole building may be razed. Hard to see in the presentation exactly where they were planning the portal into marquam but they did say they need 4 plus acres of park space as a staging site for the tunnel.
Check out the Southwest corridor thread. Someone just posted a link to a Metro document that discusses the two tunnel variants (both of which would have their portal in this area) and at least one discussed a station pretty close by (on Hooker St, IIRC).

I think it's hard to imagine they would sign a lease like that and be totally unaware of the Southwest Corridor.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics