HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 3, 2005, 6:33 PM
Resident Cabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan
I've heard from some circles that the commuter rails is intended to one day connect to Salem and then Eugene with much faster travels on the 5 corridor. The trip up 217 is going to be the sticky spot just like the MAX in downtown.
I really think this makes more sense:

And then have Wilsonville and Salem served by commuter rail via existing tracks running thru Lake Oswego and Milwaukie to Portland. Transfers could then be made at Tualatin between '217 Corridor MAX' (MAX Red Line extension) and commuter rail.
That's a nice map except that the commuter rail will not continue on to downtown. I'm not even sure if it will actually go to Beaverton TC, if you look on Google Earth, you'll see that the tracks are a third of a mile apart, or half a klick.

I'm almost done creating a layer of all the current and future MAX, Streetcar and CR lines on Google Earth, when I finish I'll post the file on here, but for now I'll just show you guys what I'm working on.

My Flickr

Old Posted Aug 3, 2005, 6:36 PM

They will be building a track in a rebuilt Lombard Street in Beaverton to connect the main line track to the Beaverton TC.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2005, 6:42 PM
Resident Cabbie

Great! That was my assumption when I drew the CR layer on Google Earth, it just goes up Lombard and curves into Beaverton TC.

You used to run NW Virtual Transit right? That was quite a helpful source for me.

Do you know what the CR will do down in Wilsonville? Will it extend out to Commerce Circle or just stay on the existing tracks?

My Flickr

Old Posted Aug 3, 2005, 7:20 PM

Actually that was pdxskyline who ran NW Virtual Transit although I too really liked the website.

I think CR will end on the north side of town and near I-5. I think it will mostly be a park'n'ride station but will stay on existing tracks.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2005, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbaG
Great! That was my assumption when I drew the CR layer on Google Earth, it just goes up Lombard and curves into Beaverton TC.
Looks almost like the TriMet maps of it that I've seen. I haven't been able yet to dig up exact alignments though...

Quote:
Do you know what the CR will do down in Wilsonville? Will it extend out to Commerce Circle or just stay on the existing tracks?
It'll go past Commerce Circle on existing tracks and stop at Boberg Road. That's just south of CC. Past the terminal station, they're going to build the yards. Boberg Road sation will become a transit center for Wilsonville's SMART bus.

And yup I ran NW Virtual Transit Center. Thanks for veiwing the site! I still own the space and domain for it. However, it needs a ton of new programming if I ever am going to resurrect it. If I can get some serious help in the form of a collaborative effort with managing, programming, and adding content, maybe it will come back. In its former form, managing it took forever, as it was solely HTML. I also could not really keep up with the changing aspects of the new lines planned. I'd really like to get out of the programming aspect of the site and get back to the content- making maps was my favorite part. I'd also love to cover the "dead freeways" of the NW as well.

Anyone interested?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2005, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I'm almost done creating a layer of all the current and future MAX, Streetcar and CR lines on Google Earth
Ha ha... I wonder how many of us are sitting at home quietly adding the SOWA towers to Google Earth?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2005, 1:12 AM
Good times!

Dubba, are you gonna post a link to download the shapefile for Google Earth as an overlay? That would be super cool! I should learn how to do that!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2005, 5:46 AM
Resident Cabbie

That's the plan. I have a few touch-ups to do and I might add stations. In fact, yes I will add stations and it will be wonderful.

My Flickr

Old Posted Aug 4, 2005, 6:05 AM

Congressman DeFazio Secures Special Appropriation for Domestic Production of Portland Streetcar

7/28/05

CONGRESSMAN DEFAZIO SECURES SPECIAL APPROPRIATION
FOR DOMESTIC PRODUCTION OF PORTLAND STREETCAR
Oregon Iron Works Partners with the City to Meet National Demand

Congressman Peter DeFazio, with the assistance of Congresswoman Darlene Hooley and Congressman Earl Blumenauer, has secured a special appropriation of $4 million to foster the domestic production of streetcar vehicle similar to those used by Portland Streetcar.

"Congressman DeFazio is a nationally recognized leader in transportation issues," stated Commissioner Sam Adams who oversees the Office of Transportation and serves on the Portland Streetcar Board. "The congressional delegation’s support for streetcar production that will result in the creation of good, high-paying jobs that use cutting edge technology in Clackamas, Oregon, demonstrates their continued commitment to all Oregonians. We can all be proud of our congressional representatives for their support in creating smart transportation options for Portland and the nation."

The federal reauthorization bill known as TEA-21 is expected to pass the House tonight and is signed by the President shortly thereafter. The $4 million allocation funds the development of a prototype streetcar similar to the Portland Streetcar produced by Inekon from the Czech Republic. Manufacturing streetcars here in Clackamas will meet the "Buy America" requirements of the federal government.

John Carroll, chairman of the Portland Streetcar Inc. board has been working with Oregon Iron Works over the last several months to encourage the company to consider producing the prototype. "The Portland Streetcar system, although a mode of transportation, was built here in Portland to spur economic development along its alignment. By partnering with Oregon Iron Works to manufacture streetcars, we continue to advance the economic goals of Portland Streetcar, Inc."

Oregon Iron Works has expressed interest in producing the prototype car and have already met with Inekon officials.

"We at Oregon Iron Works, Inc. are extremely pleased and excited about the prospect of becoming the first domestic streetcar manufacturer in the United States," said Chandra Brown, Vice President, Oregon Iron Works, Inc., "especially because we believe this is a growing market and will help showcase the Portland region as the center of excellence for the Streetcar industry. We are excited about creating new manufacturing jobs and developing new domestic prototype technology here in Oregon, as opposed to the trend of manufacturing jobs being exported overseas. We are very grateful to Cong. Peter DeFazio for securing $4 million to help us launch this new industry for Oregon. We also appreciate the support of the entire Northwest Congressional delegation."

The funds are allocated to TriMet as the regional transit agency. TriMet has been a partner in the Portland Streetcar development and operation since its inception.
"TriMet is very excited about being a partner in a project that has the potential of bringing a new industry to the Portland region," Fred Hansen, General Manager of TriMet commented. "A streetcar manufacturing facility would have the dual benefits of providing family wage jobs and building an important element of the region's transportation system. The project will keep Portland on the map as being a leader in the transit industry."

Portland Streetcar has enjoyed enormous success in Portland. The project was recently awarded the Gold Award of the Rudy Bruner Foundation for the outstanding urban project in the US. The current line operates from Northwest Portland to RiverPlace with 7,800 riders per weekday and 6,400 Saturday riders. The economic development along the alignment now exceeds $2 billion, with over 5,300 new housing units built since it was announced in 1997. The success of the emerging South Waterfront District is anticipated with the opening of the next streetcar extension to this area in September 2006.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2005, 8:36 AM
Resident Cabbie

Oh man that is great news!!! I'm all for buying local products (beer mostly), why not locally manufactured transit vehicles? This is really a smart thing to be getting into. It will be funny in 10 years when we have the "old" Skodas running with the "new" Portland cars.

I hope the company will be called "DeFazio's Old Tyme Streetcar Co. Ltd."

My Flickr

Old Posted Aug 4, 2005, 4:40 PM

That's great news about the local streetcar construction. If the past is any indication, more US cities will be putting in streetcars and guess where they will be made? Maybe we have the makings of a new industry here.

Hey Dub, you're going to have to show me how to make those google layers.

And BTW, Christine thanks you for the mp3s.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2005, 6:07 PM
No longer PDX

Very cool, I hope this goes through. When my G.F. was in the Czech Republic last year they had a plaque in the town where the Inekon factory is dedicated to the sale of the street cars to Portland. Everyone there had heard of Portland and was very proud to sell the the first new street cars in the US here.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2005, 5:33 AM

A STREETCAR NAMED QUAGMIRE
Ritzy residences rail against possible streetcar extension.
BY BRANDON HARTLEY

bhartley at wweek.com

While the Portland Streetcar grinds toward South Waterfront, the line's potential further extension is generating "not in my backyard'' shouts from well-heeled residents along the Willamette River.

The NIMBYism alert ahead from wealthy homeowners comes as Metro enters the early stages of an 18-month study of transportation options between Portland and Lake Oswego.

Traffic projections on already-congested Highway 43 estimate an increase of up to 25 percent over the next two decades on the narrow, four-lane highway. One solution: a roughly seven-mile extension of the streetcar into downtown Lake Oswego, rumbling past palatial homes with values as high as $3 million in Riverwood, Dunthorpe and Briarwood.

Richard Brandman, Metro's transportation planning director, calls the idea "at the embryonic stage" and promises extensive public involvement. If the streetcar proposal survives Metro's study, construction on the rail option lies at least four years away, Brandman says.

But Charles Ormsby, a neighborhood activist in Briarwood, is worried now about extending the streetcar along the Willamette Shore Rail Line past cliffs and through a limited-access tunnel.

"There's three concerns: Solitude. Security. Safety," Ormsby says. "These are quiet neighborhoods. Plus, the drivers sit behind locked doors. What if something happens as these trains pass over the steep hills around Riverdale?"

Among his concerns: cop response time to muggers, crazies, terrorism, accidents, and potential earthquakes.

Briarwood homeowner William Gilmer says the streetcar "would do absolutely nothing for our neighborhood," both reducing property values and killing his plans to build a second house nearby.

In Riverwood, the line comes within 6 feet of several backyards, porches, living-room windows and one tennis court. Further down the line in Briarwood, it sits within a few dozen feet of houses.

An antique excursion trolley uses the line primarily from May through October, completing 20 two-hour round trips a week between Lake Oswego and Portland. The Portland Streetcar, which hits downtown stops every 13 minutes on weekdays, would pass by much more often every day of the year.

The streetcar extension isn't Metro's only option. Other ideas under consideration include a river transit service and a rapid bus line that could require pullouts or its own lane on Highway 43.

Dave Wiley, an area resident for over 50 years, isn't worried about the noise of increased rail traffic and recalls an era when freight trains once used the tracks. "One of them passed through here every morning at 5 am," Wiley says. "We learned to sleep through it."

http://www.wweek.com/story.php?story=6569

Old Posted Aug 5, 2005, 5:43 AM

^
This rail line has only been there for over 120 years. If you dont like living near a rail line, dont move near a rail line.

But Charles Ormsby, a neighborhood activist in Briarwood, is worried now about extending the streetcar along the Willamette Shore Rail Line past cliffs and through a limited-access tunnel.

"There's three concerns: Solitude. Security. Safety," Ormsby says. "These are quiet neighborhoods. Plus, the drivers sit behind locked doors. What if something happens as these trains pass over the steep hills around Riverdale?"

Among his concerns: cop response time to muggers, crazies, terrorism, accidents, and potential earthquakes.

What the hell is this guy smoking?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2005, 6:04 AM
No longer PDX

You know streetcars cause earthquakes. Eventually if we keep building streetcars it will cause the complete destruction of Portland in a massive earthquake. That is if the terrorists don't take Purple Line MAX from Pakistan first. Now where did I put my meds ....

Old Posted Aug 5, 2005, 3:41 PM

I'm sorry, does this guy know something I don't know? They must be proposing a stop on the most hilly section of the line, where nothing but rip off lawyers and OHSU doctors live (avid transit riders, I know). That or this guy has no idea that our streetcars aren't like San Franciscos and you can't just jump off at your leisure into his backyard. Didn't he mention something about locked doors?

I know it sucks to live near a rail line, but I didn't build my multi-million dollar home next to it either.

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Aug 5, 2005 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2005, 7:30 PM
A before E

I like the idea of making streetcars locally. I also think the streetcar idea needs to be mass produced in Portland, the entire east side of town should have a streetcar access.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2005, 6:47 AM

Hollywood Streetcar

A Streetcar extension to the Hollywood district from the Lloyd district is under discussion at the next streetcar meeting.

Also in recent articles about the replacement of the Sellwood Bridge there has been mention of a streetcar over the sellwood bridge.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2005, 7:26 AM
Resident Cabbie

The Sellwood route is definitely a viable option. Since they're building a new bridge anyway, they might as well make room for streetcars.

If you find out the Hollywood route let me know so I can map it up!

My Flickr

Old Posted Aug 8, 2005, 3:46 PM

Anyone heard about a Hawthorne line connecting with the Central Eastside route? I got in an argument with someone over the weekend because they swore it had already been mapped out, but when I asked for the source, they couldn't give me anything...just wondering if this guy was speaking out his arse or if it is something in the works.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure