HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 11:00 PM

Cincinnati-Over The Rhine

Over the Rhine Area. Just had time to walk up Vine to the Krogers then over to the west side of the Music Hall to catch Bus #1. Very beautiful area, but I could feel the tension. And when I walked off of Vine I saw things I wouldn’t take photos of. But in the middle of all that I saw encouragement such as the infill going on and the Washington Park. Again…it was a very beautiful area. All cities have stuff like OTR’s seedier side, I just never go through them….Chicago included.

Last edited by Chicago3rd; Feb 21, 2011 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 11:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

fantastic! OTR's 19th century bones are simply unsurpassed anywhere in the midwest.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 11:08 PM
video et taceo

very ornate.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 11:44 PM

Honestly, this area seems to have one of the best collections of buildings I have seen anywhere. What is the big dig area? In front of what I think is the opera building? A park or a new building?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 11:51 PM

Love the Nati! Some of the best in the country hands down. Another underrated river city!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Love the Nati! Some of the best in the country hands down. Another underrated river city!
Here is the link to the vision for Washington Park:
http://www.washingtonpark.org/vision

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the link regarding Washington Park. Answers my question. Excellent stuff.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 12:36 AM
Red brick mama.

The Queen City rules!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 2:10 AM
Posh

Nice tour. However, you keep repeating a lot of the same (or almost the same) photos.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 5:47 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Just a couple of notes (great photos, btw):

1. There isn't really much "tension" in the area you photographed at all. It's mostly artist/bohemian/yuppie white folks with mixed-income black folks. Anywhere south of Liberty Street (the new "DMZ") you'll be perfectly fine. Now, NORTH of Liberty Street (aka Northern Liberties) is still the old-school Over-the-Rhine, plagued with crime, drugs, murder, and prostitution and I don't see much (if any) photos of that area in this thread...which is a good thing for you.

2. Over-the-Rhine has come a LONG way from being one of the most intimidating neighborhoods in the country to becoming revitalized in a large scaled manner. Every single property south of Liberty Street is being renovated (even the boarded up ones) and turned into market-rate apartments and condos, with first floor retail/restaurants/grocer/blah blah. Even that Vine Street Kroger (which has always been a joke) is being rumored for being torn down and expanded. Washington Park's revitalization is also huge for that neighborhood as 15 years ago, shit, I wouldn't take a single photo in that motherfucker.

3. With Over-the-Rhine's revitalization comes problems for the city's westside. But that's a whole new topic but OTR is gorgeous and is one of the city's best neighborhoods architecturally (though it's not even top five in the city).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 3:22 PM
E pluribus unum

Couldn't believe how much OTR changed when I was back in town last May.

The "DMZ" was Central Parkway when I moved in 1996, just to put things in perspective.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 3:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
OTR is gorgeous and is one of the city's best neighborhoods architecturally (though it's not even top five in the city).
and what, pray tell, are the top 5? from the tour you gave me of the city, OTR was unquestionably number #1 in the quality, consistency, and integrity of its architecture, in my opinion.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 3:42 PM
E pluribus unum

Washington Park was also ground zero for the 2001 riots, IIRC.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 5:49 PM

Wow!!! I just grew a whole new respect Ohio. Thank you for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Very beautiful area, but I could feel the tension. And when I walked off of Vine I saw things I wouldn’t take photos of.
What was the tension from and what kind of things did you see?? I'm curious...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 6:47 PM
Ex Houstonian

Holy crap, those are some incredibly beautiful buildings, so glad the area looks like its gentrifying and being restored, wow!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 9:48 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
and what, pray tell, are the top 5? from the tour you gave me of the city, OTR was unquestionably number #1 in the quality, consistency, and integrity of its architecture, in my opinion.
Walnut Hills is easily the #1 best architectural/quality variety in the city. From brownstones to rows to 1800's mansions to condo towers to shotguns, it has it all. Including adjacent neighborhod East Walnut Hills and that'd just be the runaway winner. West End is architecturally (and quality) better than Over-the-Rhine (Dayton and York Streets alone), along with Mt. Auburn, Clifton (NOT Clifton Heights), and Avondale rounding out the top 5, in no order. Over-the-Rhine is stunningly beautiful, extremely dense, blah blah blah but it's primarily one style: Italianate. For that style, it's the second best in the city behind the West End but in terms of architectural variety + quality, it isn't top 5 from this native. A neighborhood, if it cleaned up its act, that has a stunning quality of architecture yet even more downtrodden than OTR is East Price Hill.

People get caught up with the density and vertical scale of Over-the-Rhine and automatically assume it's the city's "best" architecture. The quality in the middle-ring neighborhoods (where the wealthy primarily was during the 1700's-1900's) is quite ahead of the basin, with exception to sections of the West End west of Linn. What I will praise Over-the-Rhine is having some of the best commercial blocks in the city (Main and Vine stand out).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 9:56 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ well, to this outsider, nothing in cincy came close to impressing me as much as OTR from an architecture standpoint. OTR is a nationally significant architectural district in a way that very few other places in the midwest are. nothing else in cincy that i saw is at that same level.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 10:15 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
^ well, to this outsider, nothing in cincy came close to impressing me as much as OTR from an architecture standpoint. OTR is a nationally significant architectural district in a way that very few other places in the midwest are. nothing else in cincy that i saw is at that same level.
Word to your mother.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 10:21 PM

Such a great thread.

I like the white building (painted brick) with the huge PAINT sign. The round windows at the top do it for me.

It would be interesting to see a map. I can't quite place this area.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 10:24 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Sure, and I can totally see where an outsider can look at Over-the-Rhine and say "WOW, this is awesome!" I mean, it IS an awesome neighborhood with fantastic architecture. But for a local, Cincinnati has so many architecturally diverse neighborhoods that it becomes a more "who has the best quality/variety" versus "which will wow the out-of-towner the best." The former can be found in Walnut Hills, Avondale, etc. The latter can be found in Over-the-Rhine and Mt. Adams. I've heard visitors say Mt. Adams was Cincinnati's best neighborhood. Even folks in Mt. Adams don't believe that bullshit but it's a popular outside opinion. It's hilly, walkable, great views, great food, great nightlife, blah blah blah and thus it gives a positive impression moreso than an endlessly more interesting Mt. Auburn where 99% of visitors never see. The scale of Over-the-Rhine and neighboring Pendleton and Mohawk (which are two neighborhoods folks usually throw in as "Over-the-Rhine" much to locals irks; much like "Clifton" is used for the University of Cincinnati area even though UC doesn't even touch Clifton proper...another rant, another day) is what sets it apart from a Walnut Hills or even a West End (which is equally as dense as OTR, though 2-3 story). Both Walnut Hills and West End have better architecture, quality, blah blah than Over-the-Rhine but due to the scale of OTR's structures, the density, the colors, etc, many first-impressions can leave a person with "best architecture in Cincy!"

I mean, I get it. Trust me. But as a local, Cincinnati has way more context and layers than simple 3-5 story Italianate structures (which again, are undeniably awesome).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos