HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 3:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Abandoned London

Inspired by the Abadoned Ottawa-Gatineau thread, as well as the Dead Malls of Canada thread.

Post your thoughts & photos of abandoned London. That is, abandoned shops, homes, etc.

Here is one from Dundas Street (Capitol Theatre, A&A records):

c/o xxmattzx at skyscrapercity.com
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 9:54 PM
Beefeater

Old picture isn't it? Farhi restored both fronts to original and the City of London has offices in them now. However the building with the all glass front that you see a part of on the right side of the pictures is mostly vacant.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 2:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

doorways? or pathways? that glassed, 80s-era fugly is fugly.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 4:54 PM
Beefeater

Very fugly and the single tenant, being the conveinence store on the main floor, doesn't pay his rent haha.

Capitol and A&A as they look today

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:05 PM
Beefeater

How about the old Bud Gowan on York

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^not exactly the greatest location for an Indian restaurant. I did visit Taste of India. Not as good as the two competitors on Richmond, nor nearly as good as Raja, or my favourite: Massey's.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 7:13 PM
Beefeater

North east and south west corners of this intersection. While the Market Tower has some tenants it is mostly vacant.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 9:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^too close to the vagrants, me suspects.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 12:34 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Does anyone have some photos of the condemned houses on Mill Street? I always found it kinda sad how those old homes were left to rot instead of being restored by a responsible owner. If they are nowhere to be found I might do an abandoned building hunt in the near future.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 10:16 PM
bro

Off the top of my head I can think of two (three including Mill St.) boarded-up houses around my neighbourhood:

Coincidence that the first two abandoned houses are within shouting distance of elementary schools?

And the Bud Gowan on York makes me sad. York Street has some really beautiful old buildings that are badly neglected. Must give VIA riders a pleasant first impression.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highinthesky View Post
Very fugly and the single tenant, being the conveinence store on the main floor, doesn't pay his rent haha.

Capitol and A&A as they look today
Wow, what a stunning restoration. You can see them working on it in Google Maps.

What are these buildings used for now?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 10:16 PM
Sanity merchant

City of London is using them as office space.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 4:36 AM
Londoner

Yes looking good!!!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 4:38 AM
Ex Houstonian

Looks like Helena, Arkansas.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Found a great website for those interested in abandoned places. I've even found some from London

http://www.ontarioabandonedplaces.co...d=1835onta2525

These are the reminants of the Parkwood Pavillion in the woods behind the hospital. I believe it was used as a recreational facility for patients. Up untill recently there was even a radar museum there.

And then there's the old London Asylum for the Insane, behind the current mental health centre on Highbury

This is the Marlboro Apartments , at 414 King St.

The recently abandoned McCormick Factory

Anyways, there's lots more on the website, hope you enjoyed my selections!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 1:36 AM

I noticed Versa Care Nursing Home in there. That's one place I'm not sad to see rotting away. That place was a dump, best described as a storage facility where the elderly were warehoused until they died. The individual rooms didn't even have washrooms; the residents had to share common washrooms.

Thankfully, modern nursing home facilities are much nicer and help maintain the dignity of elderly residents.

EDIT: There's quite a few additional abandoned locations I'd like to see photos of, and I could probably help with a couple of them. I have a couple photos inside the abandoned Wal-Mart at Oakridge Mall before it was demolished, also I have some photos of bypassed sections of Commissioners Road West outside Byron. I've previously posted photos of the former CASO railway beds in St. Thomas.

Abandoned and not demolished - London Mall Price Chopper, Florence/Rectory Valu-Mart, Elmdale Public School (St. Thomas), Brick Street Public School, CIBC Building, Weldon-Somerville House tunnel, Old Hyde Park Road (south of Oxford)

Abandoned and demolished/burned down - Alma College (St. Thomas), old McCormick Home, Brunswick Hotel, Embassy Hotel, (London) CN Tower, Strathroy CN Station, St. Peter's Rectory, UWO Services Building, L&PS railway station, demolished sections of Westmount Mall, Hutton Road Public School

Last edited by manny_santos; Apr 22, 2011 at 4:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 3:55 PM
Torontonian Refugee

The abandoned house on Mill Street seems to have been torn down. Not that I'm surprised, after all there was a municipal condemnation notice nailed on the door since last February.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 9:06 PM
BANNED

Can anyone confirm that the Marlboro apartments at 414 King is actually abandoned?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 2:08 AM
The Vomit Bag.

great finds, Simpseatles

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 6:54 PM

When I was in high school I did a photo/video project on decaying buildings in the core, with special focus on the talbot block.. sadly most of the buildings in my project are now lost..
Thankfully FHC has been buying up what could have been the next generation of abandoned buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos