HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
Great update...glad to see so many are moving into this building! Coach would be a nice addition I think, there isnt one anywhere on that side of the river and it would be great for them to expand!
Coach has a store at LaSalle and Adams, in the lobby/arcade of the building being converted to a JW Marriott (next to the Federal Reserve).

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
Coach has a store at LaSalle and Adams, in the lobby/arcade of the building being converted to a JW Marriott (next to the Federal Reserve).
O really? I wasnt aware of that one? Still one would be a nice addition to the State Street shopping!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 6:10 AM

Meanwhile, up top, CBS's (and maybe Morningstar's?) satellite dishes are now in place.

Looks like they took a little bit of risk that nothing tall will be erected in the future between Reliance and 33 N Dearborn.

above - jstush photo from 300 N LaSalle thread
below - SolarWind photo from Legacy thread

Last edited by denizen467; Aug 28, 2008 at 6:37 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 10:26 AM

Aug 26

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 5:14 AM
tilted & shifted

The slightest little bit of the CBS building is visible:

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 6:37 PM

^^^ Man I envy your perspective.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 6:57 PM

So the retail portion of this building is slated to open when exactly? Beginning 2009 or end of 2008?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
So the retail portion of this building is slated to open when exactly? Beginning 2009 or end of 2008?
..mid-2009 for the most part........

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk1103 View Post
..mid-2009 for the most part........
Ok thanks for the info!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 2:59 AM

Aug 28

Aug 29

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 7:14 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Despite this projects many other shortcomings I will give props for the mall glass have a rather nice look to it IMO. I think I would perhaps prefer for it to completely wrap around then have the gimmicky waving metallic squares that interrupt it. Maybe when the lightening takes effect though those could add a nice touch, jury still is out.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 1:32 AM
BANNED

if this facade were continuous throughout the building, it'd be great! the main problem i have with b37 is the overly busy facade treatment. perhaps if the architects didn't focus so much on creating something so interesting and kept it simple, we'd have something a bit more timeless and perhaps even good. another criticism i have is the mullion system... i'd prefer to see butt glazing system to allow the curtain a more seamless flow. sigh...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 9:02 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^Your argument is specious Adrian - on one hand you lament the fact that the facade doesn't encompass the whole building (which it actually does) which if it were the same it would be totally bland, but then you also complain about the glazing/mullion system as being too complex - I'm sorry but based on that photo above it doesn't seem like you can get much simpler than that, so I'm trying to figure out what your argument is..

Imagine if the whole facade on all four sides was all window or if it was all wavy, back-lit metal panel system - THAT would be extremely banal and an extreme disappointment - I think Gensler has done a decent job of keeping the facade somewhat interesting the way it alternates from store-front glazing to metal panels to large 4-story window wells and back again - I'll reserve judgement until opening day

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 4:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
^^Your argument is specious Adrian - on one hand you lament the fact that the facade doesn't encompass the whole building (which it actually does) which if it were the same it would be totally bland, but then you also complain about the glazing/mullion system as being too complex - I'm sorry but based on that photo above it doesn't seem like you can get much simpler than that, so I'm trying to figure out what your argument is..

Imagine if the whole facade on all four sides was all window or if it was all wavy, back-lit metal panel system - THAT would be extremely banal and an extreme disappointment - I think Gensler has done a decent job of keeping the facade somewhat interesting the way it alternates from store-front glazing to metal panels to large 4-story window wells and back again - I'll reserve judgement until opening day

my lament is this:
i wish the entire building were a uniform curtain of glass. no wavy metal no interesting variations on the east facade. no grey spandrel panels. b37 would be very nice to see a curtain of glass all the way around. and, extremely banal? perhaps to some people... but i'm wondering, do those same people think 600 is banal? a simplistic glass facade can be a wonderful thing and often is if you ask me.
why are people so scared of simplicity?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 5:15 AM
BANNED

yes, but 600 has variations in the facade such as balconies, screening behind the glass, and different shaped walls. This has no such features and would just be a glass box that, regardless of our personal opinions, would be found boring and unattractive by most people.

I love simplicity just as much as you do Adrian, but without complex buildings, simple can just be sterile. I mean look at Mies work for example, it was certainly not simple, it was actually very complex and highly detailed, not just seamless and glass. He put those I-beam mullions on his buildings for a reason, even though he didn't have to.

I guess what I'm trying to say is solid glass has no texture.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 9:47 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I guess what I'm trying to say is solid glass has no texture.
Yes it does, and certianly the various jointing techniques used changes that texture. Any material has texture...and a facade of multiple materials, be it glass and silicon or whatever, certialn has texture.

However, I think the building is too boring to successfully pull off a straight clean facade. 600 is a smaller footprint and has some very wel intentioned curves. B37 is well, a block long and only 3 storeys....but hey I'm always pro flat glass. It can have so slick effects. The panels would have to be rearranged and offset to give it some visual interest. Different size panels would also be fun. I really like the exposed structure between the first and second floors. Too bad they can't clean it up/minimal cladding and leave it as is.

However, I do also lement the gimicky wavy stuff...and I must say I'd always rather have boring than gimicky.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 10:09 PM
Registered

^ Yeah, that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 2:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
However, I think the building is too boring to successfully pull off a straight clean facade. 600 is a smaller footprint and has some very wel intentioned curves. B37 is well, a block long and only 3 storeys....but hey I'm always pro flat glass. It can have so slick effects. The panels would have to be rearranged and offset to give it some visual interest. Different size panels would also be fun. I really like the exposed structure between the first and second floors. Too bad they can't clean it up/minimal cladding and leave it as is.
That's exactly my point, the reason there is texture to the 600 facade is because its not just a solid wall. However, if you just built solid glass walls everywhere then there would be no texture. I guess I'm not saying it doesn't have texture, just that a solid wall of uniform texture is not going to cut it if we put the same thing everywhere. Obviously glass has the texture of "smooth"...

I agree about the wavy panels though...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 4:06 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Well, not to belabor this too much, because its really a non issue, but I think a monolithic glass wall (1/2 inch silicon joints or something) for three stories along the street in the hear of the loop would rock. An evolution of Mies at its best.

But, I'd only really support that if it was a blatant cube. Once/if the residential towers get added to this, that complicates the issue and probly would make a flat glass cube a more difficult option to work with.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 4:29 AM
BANNED

I agree, it could be awesome, but if it were like that on every building, or even many buildings, it would suck...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive