HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Could the port have already been doing the design while this extension is underway. If so then once this extension is done then can move right into the construction phase.

I do agree with you that a West terminal infill makes sense and would add some security lines that are desperately needed.
They don’t even know what they are designing next. They need to approve the preferred expansion for the new master plan then send out for bids on design and engineering. Then they need council approval on the firm they recommend and then sigh all the contracts. Then design can start.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
They don’t even know what they are designing next. They need to approve the preferred expansion for the new master plan then send out for bids on design and engineering. Then they need council approval on the firm they recommend and then sigh all the contracts. Then design can start.
Hmm, for being so far behind the port and cc really don’t seem to care and are ok with continuing on at a snails pace. I wish the port could get stuff done faster. New Orleans built a whole new 30 something gate terminal in around the same time that will have taken us to add 9 gates.

Imagine what we would of had done by now if the port was privatized.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Could the port have already been doing the design while this extension is underway. If so then once this extension is done then can move right into the construction phase.

I do agree with you that a West terminal infill makes sense and would add some security lines that are desperately needed.
I doubt they would have been doing all this master plan stuff if they were already in design. They do appear to have narrowed down their choices significantly, though. The survey on the website is “here’s the choice everyone likes, you ok with it?”

Plus the budget for the expansion still has to go through city council. They can move fast, but there will probably be some downtime in between.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post

Plus the budget for the expansion still has to go through city council. They can move fast, but there will probably be some downtime in between.
I can hear the silly council debating the terminal expansion.....

"....add on to the terminal but we planned on putting affordable housing on that site....."

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
I can hear the silly council debating the terminal expansion.....

"....add on to the terminal but we planned on putting affordable housing on that site....."
“The council is going to delay the decision to further study the budget” *head banging against wall*

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 6:36 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
...New Orleans built a whole new 30 something gate terminal in around the same time that will have taken us to add 9 gates.
No, not really. In fact, that port is still under construction and it has been a LONG, LONG time in the planning.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
No, not really. In fact, that port is still under construction and it has been a LONG, LONG time in the planning.
Yep it’s still under construction, I just checked on it and it has 35 gates, began construction January 14, 2016 and is scheduled to be done February 2019. For Austin their website says the cc authorized the funds in October 2015 and the 9 gate expansion is scheduled to be done in 2019. I don’t remember when the expansion started construction but it was probably either late 2015 or early 2016. Even considering the long planning phase for New Orleans, they managed to get a lot more done in the same construction timephrame. I’m sure ABIA took a long time to plan the extension as well, probably not as long as New Orleans, though.
http://www.flymsy.com/capitalimprove...r-Construction

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 10:18 PM

Anyone know what happened with the new cell phone lot and retail center? I thought it was supposed to open end of last year.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Anyone know what happened with the new cell phone lot and retail center? I thought it was supposed to open end of last year.
Yeah. I tweeted the city and they said there were permitting and construction issues, and the new ETA is end of this year.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 3:15 AM
Meh

I was outside giving my dogs a bath again this evening and saw another 747 fly straight over us. It was definitely lower than the next jet that flew over. I know I mentioned it before and someone said it's because it's a bigger jet, but it was definitely lower and much louder. The thing is, the 747s are taking off from the west runway, so they're at least 2 miles closer to the city than planes taking off from the east runway. There's another flight scheduled tomorrow. I'll see if I can get a photo of it coming over.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...335Z/KAUS/EGLL

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I was outside giving my dogs a bath again this evening and saw another 747 fly straight over us. It was definitely lower than the next jet that flew over. I know I mentioned it before and someone said it's because it's a bigger jet, but it was definitely lower and much louder. The thing is, the 747s are taking off from the west runway, so they're at least 2 miles closer to the city than planes taking off from the east runway. There's another flight scheduled tomorrow. I'll see if I can get a photo of it coming over.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...335Z/KAUS/EGLL
Tomorrow and every day til the last week in October!

It’s def louder but not substantially lower than other traffic (I watch the planes come in from my office window) — maybe a couple of hundred feet lower than the smaller birds, but it’s not that far off from, say, the Norwegian 789.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I tweeted the city and they said there were permitting and construction issues, and the new ETA is end of this year.
Well that royally sucks. Hopefully the issues get solved soon.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Tomorrow and every day til the last week in October!

It’s def louder but not substantially lower than other traffic (I watch the planes come in from my office window) — maybe a couple of hundred feet lower than the smaller birds, but it’s not that far off from, say, the Norwegian 789.
A bird that size takes so much to slow it down that the controllers have to bring it in at a lower angle than other jets. The 747 just really loves to fly and fly fast. The plane that I fly now could practically nose dive into the runway and be able to slow down enough to land.

While having the 747 is awesome, I feel bad for those who paid a ton to fly on it. We have the tired, old version of BA’s 747 interior. It would be nice if for the next summer we got a new interior 747 or even a 773. Eventually it would be awesome to have one of their new A350-1000’s fly here. I have been reading from a.neters that the flights have been really full so I wonder if eventually we’ll see a 2x daily operation.

Last edited by masonh2479; Jun 24, 2018 at 6:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 6:34 PM

Quote:
A bird that size takes so much to slow it down that the controllers have to bring it in at a lower angle than other jets. The 747 just really loves to fly and fly fast. The plane that I fly now could practically nose dive into the runway and be able to slow down enough to land.

While having the 747 is awesome, I feel bad for those who paid a ton to fly on it. We have the tired, old version of BA’s 747 interior. It would be nice if for the next summer we got a new interior 747 or even a 773. Eventually it would be awesome to have one of their new A350-1000’s fly here. I have been reading from a.neters that the flights have been really full so I wonder if eventually we’ll see a 2x daily operation.
Have they announced that they’re bringing it back next year?

BA is also announcing a new Club World product which I cannot wait to see. Hopefully we’ll get that fast, too...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Have they announced that they’re bringing it back next year?

BA is also announcing a new Club World product which I cannot wait to see. Hopefully we’ll get that fast, too...
No it’s not been announced but if the rumors that the flights have been full are true it is safe to assume that we have a good chance of seeing the Queen next year too. That new Club World product would be great to have!

Just did some dummy bookings and we have the 747 again next year.

Also, apparently there was a power outage today at the South Terminal.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
I doubt they would have been doing all this master plan stuff if they were already in design. They do appear to have narrowed down their choices significantly, though. The survey on the website is “here’s the choice everyone likes, you ok with it?”

I wonder if this is why Delta has been so quiet about the focus city announcement. They might be waiting for the master planning workshops to play out first.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 2:43 PM

As someone who works inside of ABIA, I cannot reveal any cost numbers, but the airport has already began to plant the seeds of a new terminal to the South of the current one with 20+ gates. This is supposedly scheduled to begin around 2019-2020. Also, the reason it takes us so much longer than other cities to build things especially for the airport is the surrounding community, ecosystem and the tardiness of City Council. Especially because of the floodplain issues the airport always faces, the 9 gate expansion has taken lots of time. But hold your breath because within a year a lot is about to happen.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman0328 View Post
as someone who works inside of abia, i cannot reveal any cost numbers, but the airport has already began to plant the seeds of a new terminal to the south of the current one with 20+ gates. This is supposedly scheduled to begin around 2019-2020. Also, the reason it takes us so much longer than other cities to build things especially for the airport is the surrounding community, ecosystem and the tardiness of city council. Especially because of the floodplain issues the airport always faces, the 9 gate expansion has taken lots of time. But hold your breath because within a year a lot is about to happen.
+1!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 4:48 PM

Parking

Throughout the past few weeks, I have noticed that parking lots have been completely full at the airport. However, the newly opened parking lot J is not being used. Does anyone know why that is? Seems like it would be needed these days.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS View Post
Throughout the past few weeks, I have noticed that parking lots have been completely full at the airport. However, the newly opened parking lot J is not being used. Does anyone know why that is? Seems like it would be needed these days.
I am about to give up on airport owned parking and start booking the off site places.

I just like walking instead of relying on buses. But, it has become impossible to park there for weekend trips. They need to continue to build parking garages in existing lots.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin