HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
They should be discouraged for use unless absolutely needed...
Are you saying they shouldn't be installed unless necessary, or are you saying that passengers should avoid those gates? If the latter, why?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 4:17 PM

I hope Tranalink take note . Please hurry up and put in more fare gates at Brentwood Station before those multiple towers comes to completion. Not counting,
AM B ,there are at least 7 more towers south of the station in 5 more years.
Plus that many more people coming in out of region once AMB completes. Adding frequency and longer trains only create worse bottle neck with the existing 3 fare gates.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 6:41 PM
Shoebox Dweller

I've noticed more and more that people try to avoid the wider gates due to people using them to sneak beside/behind you. They used to be well used at Waterfront, but people typically avoid them now.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
I've noticed more and more that people try to avoid the wider gates due to people using them to sneak beside/behind you. They used to be well used at Waterfront, but people typically avoid them now.
I don't use them much either for the same reason. If there's anyone with a phone who just happens to be hanging out near those gates...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 9:42 PM

Quote:
I deal with that by simply moving slowly though the gate, looking back, and if there's anyone behind me I just stand there until the gate closes. It helps that I don't generally travel at busy times and even if I do I'm never in a rush, so I just hang back behind the crowd.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I've noticed this as well, all the better as it is like VIP access for me. I've seen people actively force the wider gates open as there is greater leverage, if they want to evade fares they are going to do it.

I am not sure why people are so worried about fare evaders, let TransLink and Transit Police worry about that. People are far too worried about what other people do, no need to cause yourself any unneeded stress or risk.

I'd rather see people take on some adequate etiquette such as standing clear of doors and waiting for other users to de-board, or being more mindful of their position on the platform when in groups.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 11:54 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
I remember they added marks for where to stand at YVR airport on the Canada Line, are there plans to expand this? Seems it would be useful.
Common in Japan. Interesting it is coming here.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
I remember they added marks for where to stand at YVR airport on the Canada Line, are there plans to expand this? Seems it would be useful.
These were removed a short time after they were added.

Ron.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:55 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillty View Post
I've noticed this as well, all the better as it is like VIP access for me. I've seen people actively force the wider gates open as there is greater leverage, if they want to evade fares they are going to do it.

I am not sure why people are so worried about fare evaders, let TransLink and Transit Police worry about that. People are far too worried about what other people do, no need to cause yourself any unneeded stress or risk.

I'd rather see people take on some adequate etiquette such as standing clear of doors and waiting for other users to de-board, or being more mindful of their position on the platform when in groups.
I believe that a little bit of public shaming goes a long way to push our society gently in the right direction. Often people feel uncomfortable when they are called out - I can just hope that they don't make the decision so easily to do the same the next time they need a ride.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 12:43 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
I have no idea why they placed so many of those wide gates and also usually on the nearest the side people travel the most so they default to them.

They should be discouraged for use unless absolutely needed...
yea just leave them so the fare evaders have an easier time to squeeze through them.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
I believe that a little bit of public shaming goes a long way to push our society gently in the right direction. Often people feel uncomfortable when they are called out - I can just hope that they don't make the decision so easily to do the same the next time they need a ride.
Don't think some crackhead, homeless, or some borderline sociopath is gonna have enough self respect to be worried about being called out. When I worked at the Canada Line, i've seen these guys straight up laugh at Transit Police when caught or throw their fare infraction tickets away once they got it. Once the proximity access gates come online for people that can't use their hands you can bet some of these douchebags will use that handicapped person as another way of getting in and out of the system. They also have no issues of using the emergency exits to leave the fare paid zones. Wish Transit Police would honestly just ban these habitual offenders.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 10:00 PM
Big City Enthusiast

I think it's just part of the 'grit' of living in the big city and having a metro system, honestly. But yes, the transit police should deal with this. ....

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:00 AM

I was on elevator 3 today (the first one was closed... ). It felt weird as I got on at ground level and then it moved down about one staircase step and the opposite doors opened for Skytrain staff. They figure it's set up like that to be a 'different level' because it's not for public access. They could have just put a step on the staff side and used a key to access it but no

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:07 AM

i was at lougheed station the other night and two guys were pacing outside, the one guy had a paid ticket while his friend didn't and told him to just follow him really closely behind, but there were 2 transit people inside the station and the guy who wasn't going to pay was stressing out he would be caught and didn't want to try until they left, his buddy was getting impatient and kept egging him on to just go already don't worry about it.

I think having some security presence would deter some people from trying to get in without paying.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i was at lougheed station the other night and two guys were pacing outside, the one guy had a paid ticket while his friend didn't and told him to just follow him really closely behind, but there were 2 transit people inside the station and the guy who wasn't going to pay was stressing out he would be caught and didn't want to try until they left, his buddy was getting impatient and kept egging him on to just go already don't worry about it.

I think having some security presence would deter some people from trying to get in without paying.
Losers.

Of course it helps! Even just for information and assistance as well. All of our major stations should have an assistant near the gates (one who can also issue tickets of course).

All major and even most smaller stations in Japan have an employee near the gates.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 5:31 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Don't think some crackhead, homeless, or some borderline sociopath is gonna have enough self respect to be worried about being called out. When I worked at the Canada Line, i've seen these guys straight up laugh at Transit Police when caught or throw their fare infraction tickets away once they got it. Once the proximity access gates come online for people that can't use their hands you can bet some of these douchebags will use that handicapped person as another way of getting in and out of the system. They also have no issues of using the emergency exits to leave the fare paid zones. Wish Transit Police would honestly just ban these habitual offenders.
Most of the ones that I see aren't of this type. Asian grandmothers, students, "normal" folk.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Most of the ones that I see aren't of this type. Asian grandmothers, students, "normal" folk.
Yeah I was more likely to see "normal" folk get caught without a fare. One I remember well was a couple on the platform at Metrotown getting a ticket - and they had a box for a large (at the time) flat screen tv and some other electronics. I wondered how they could pay so much for that stuff and then not pay their fare.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I was on elevator 3 today (the first one was closed... ). It felt weird as I got on at ground level and then it moved down about one staircase step and the opposite doors opened for Skytrain staff. They figure it's set up like that to be a 'different level' because it's not for public access. They could have just put a step on the staff side and used a key to access it but no
I'm sure there's a building code that prohibits that sort of thing. People, even staff, exit elevators by habit and don't expect to have to step down when they do - it's a recipe for an accident.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure