HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Series of tweets from @cityhallwatch
What is this exchange? Is there a growing NIMBY movement of morons around 50th? These people are horrible. Borderline criminal.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 6:47 PM

Much as I might disagree with them, having an opinion is hardly criminal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Much as I might disagree with them, having an opinion is hardly criminal.
The imposition of their opinion would cause a housing shortage to get worse. Opinion, not criminal. Influencing policy to restrict housing (a right, i believe)? Criminal. Clearer?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 8:05 PM

Well, no, not really. People have a right to express their opinion.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Well, no, not really. People have a right to express their opinion.
Sure they do. And I have the right to criticize them for it, precisely what I am doing.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 9:29 PM

Of course you do. But it still doesn't make the opinions of people who disagree with you 'borderline criminal'.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Of course you do. But it still doesn't make the opinions of people who disagree with you 'borderline criminal'.
In my opinion, the imposition of their opinions on my community would be criminal. So...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Series of tweets from @cityhallwatch
Michael van Kleeck yelled at Council his entire 3 minutes, telling them "A child will die!", several times, and that they would be to blame for it, because the 18 townhouses to be built at 50th and Lincoln, would have a driveway on Lincoln. (He predicts a crash with a cyclist) Not a tone likely to convince.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 7:39 PM

Bob white up for sale... again.

Next year (planned) the city will road diet Foster. My dream is that it's some day part of the E Parkway (May 10 this year btw). I think there will be an immediate change when people aren't driving by at 40. I hate to say this, but I hope McMenamins renovates this, if no one else can.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Ring View Post
Michael van Kleeck yelled at Council his entire 3 minutes, telling them "A child will die!", several times, and that they would be to blame for it, because the 18 townhouses to be built at 50th and Lincoln, would have a driveway on Lincoln. (He predicts a crash with a cyclist) Not a tone likely to convince.
I just listened to this. It's nothing short of hilarious.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 6:51 PM

Quote:
I just listened to this. It's nothing short of hilarious.
More like obnoxiously abusive to everyone present.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 7:15 PM

In regards to the Bob White Theatre, one can only hope this ends up in the right owner's hands. Combined with the future streetscape improvements, this could truly catalyze some cool development along that corridor.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 12:44 AM

Portland Mercado

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 2:29 AM

Nice photos of the Mercado. It's been a blessing for the area, and its impact has already been felt in just a few short weeks.

This corridor could pop sooner than later.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 2:42 PM

Visited the Mercado a couple weeks ago expecting a light crowd. It was a 10 minute wait on several carts/stores. My folks were reticent to go until they saw it. Food was fantastic, the tables were packed. I hope it remains this way. Perhaps it may even lure development. 72nd was a complete dead zone before the Mercado. Unbelievable how successful it appears.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Visited the Mercado a couple weeks ago expecting a light crowd. It was a 10 minute wait on several carts/stores. My folks were reticent to go until they saw it. Food was fantastic, the tables were packed. I hope it remains this way. Perhaps it may even lure development. 72nd was a complete dead zone before the Mercado. Unbelievable how successful it appears.
The PDC-owned lot across the street from the Mercado is now for sale, so more development could be on the way.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 2:15 AM

Odd building made out of cargo containers briefly mentioned in the Trimet Orange Line doc Sustainability. The building at the 12th and Clinton station will be by Reworks and named "Cargotecture." I'm not kidding. Intriguing design, though I'm not sure I'd want to live in it.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 5:03 AM

Container buildings

Quote:
Odd building made out of cargo containers briefly mentioned in the Trimet Orange Line doc Sustainability. The building at the 12th and Clinton station will be by Reworks and named "Cargotecture." I'm not kidding. Intriguing design, though I'm not sure I'd want to live in it.
I'm not sure they've ever said what the uses would be in that building. The site has been landscaped, but that may just be temporary. A similar container-based building is in place along Olivia Street in San Francisco (where part of the Central Freeway was removed, and rebuilt with a surface street and park), but I think it's intended to be temporary.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 5:19 PM

Notice of a Type Ix Proposal [PDF] for a land division. Looks like COLAB are planning another phase of their Ankeny Lofts.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Cool! My brother's firm (and my brother, since he's a partner at the firm) worked on this thing in San Francisco:

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/p...ts-6140692.php

It's a follow up to the Octavia St project mentioned by Inner Ring.

"Burnham stressed that turning containers into architecture is nothing new: Firms such as LOT-EK have explored the concept since the 1990s, attracting such clients as Puma and Uniqlo. There’s even a term for the movement, “cargotecture.”

“The 'cool’ of containers was (over) so many years ago,” Burnham said. “We used them because they’re modular and mobile, and that served our purpose.”
"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland