HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
What's the plan for the space between 9 and 10 next to the water? A park? It seems like something else could fit there. If a park, that would be nice to keep some green space, but I sure hope it's not going to be a parking lot.
That’s a good question. I wish I knew more about the overall plan.

FWIW, that pond is awful — built only for flood mitigation, so it’s lined in old concrete, and the water itself is brackish and green. If they wanted to do a park — which I agree, would be cool — they’d have to address the pond, too.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
That’s a good question. I wish I knew more about the overall plan.

FWIW, that pond is awful — built only for flood mitigation, so it’s lined in old concrete, and the water itself is brackish and green. If they wanted to do a park — which I agree, would be cool — they’d have to address the pond, too.
Most definitely. Perhaps they could add blue food coloring to it. Make it unique.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 1:24 AM

Here's a big stash of TIER REIT graphic files from an SEC filing. Their projects include Third + Shoal and some Domain office buildings.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...0063-index.htm

I don't know if these are still a thing or not. But they are referred to as Domain D, Domain G and Domain 4.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 1:41 AM

Nice. Best part, so far as I can tell — the graphic below, which labels some existing buildings as redevelopment targets and seems to label the last surface parking lot as Domain D and G. Also added is Domain 13, which juuuust might sit in that open space we were talking about as a candidate for a park.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 2:05 AM

This would be the site from Streetview of Domain G (~26-stories) and Domain D (~22-stories). Domain 4 (~24-stories and going through permitting) would be behind Domain D.

Last edited by The ATX; Jan 21, 2019 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Nice. Best part, so far as I can tell — the graphic below, which labels some existing buildings as redevelopment targets and seems to label the last surface parking lot as Domain D and G. Also added is Domain 13, which juuuust might sit in that open space we were talking about as a candidate for a park.

Domain D & G, plus the redevelopment of D3, D4 and Domain Point are a great way to add more product to the Domain. Unfortunately I think that D13 is a typo. If you look at the same map in the Company Presentation package at ATX's link, the location that's labeled D13 on the above is labeled D10:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 5:59 AM

I really wanna finally see a 30+ project at the Domain....perhaps the 20's will bring us a large wave of development over there....

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I really wanna finally see a 30+ project at the Domain....perhaps the 20's will bring us a large wave of development over there....
There won't be any 30+ story buildings in the Domain because zoning limits heights to 308' (roof line). But Domain III and Domain IV are going through the permitting process and will break the 300' mark.
Broadmoor towers can go to 360', but Brandywine hasn't given any indication of any projects starting any time soon.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
There won't be any 30+ story buildings in the Domain because zoning limits heights to 308' (roof line). But Domain III and Domain IV are going through the permitting process and will break the 300' mark.
Broadmoor towers can go to 360', but Brandywine hasn't given any indication of any projects starting any time soon.
I'm actually ok with that 308' plateau for the Domain. The 3 similar height buildings around downtown, 301 Congress, Dobie, and the UT Tower all pretty much stand out on their own among the taller buildings, and buildings of the same height at the Domain would certainly stand out and give it a shot of a decent skyline like Dobie and UT Tower does surrounded by the stubbier buildings in the campus area. A plus for Precourt would be he would eventually get a decent skyline backdrop for his stadium especially for televised games. Something he always wanted but didn't get downtown. It would be funny if viewers unfamiliar to Austin thought that the Domain was our actual downtown.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Now that you mention it -- and now that the Amazon ridiculousness is behind us -- we should be hearing more about Broadmoor soon, I'd think.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
TheATX, are there other good sites out there to find out how these domain projects are moving along. I am using the COA search tool but was not sure if there are other places to find info.
For example for tower2 I used this and read through the info.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3280214

This stuff interests me, I also work at the domain and spent 14 years on the planning and zoning board for a suburb city, so familiar with much of the process. Its just a matter of finding the data.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 8:45 PM

I wish Stonelake and IBM would hurry up and come to a deal for the IBM 045 building. That outdated hulk needs to go, pronto.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfnut View Post
TheATX, are there other good sites out there to find out how these domain projects are moving along. I am using the COA search tool but was not sure if there are other places to find info.
For example for tower2 I used this and read through the info.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3280214

This stuff interests me, I also work at the domain and spent 14 years on the planning and zoning board for a suburb city, so familiar with much of the process. Its just a matter of finding the data.
The permit search is generally the best tool for finding out info. Once you find a site plan you are interested in, you can bookmark it and occasionally check it for new info. But the initial site plan application and the first added attachment are generally the only places in the site plan where details are shared while it is going through approval. The first attachment is the formal site plan filing and is added after the site plan application status changes to "Review". That file always has "Case Info" in the name. Shortly after the site plan status changes to "Approved and Released", the site plan drawings with elevations are added.

While the site plan is waiting to approved, elevations are sometimes released for AULCC meetings and can be found at the AULCC ftp site. Downtown buildings seeking a FAR increase always go through the Design Commission and the meeting files are often the best sources of info like the first renderings. But Domain buildings wouldn't be going to the Design Commission.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
I wish Stonelake and IBM would hurry up and come to a deal for the IBM 045 building. That outdated hulk needs to go, pronto.
There are still two other original IBM buildings on the site. They have been remodeled and blend in with all the new buildings. But they are the two buildings in the graphic with the dark (aged?) roofs. They are slated for demo though as the sites of Domain III and Domain IV.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 1:51 AM

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 2:39 AM

Here's a fun screen grab from Google Earth 2002 - 2018. And just think, we have several more buildings coming.

IBM 045 really didn't even fit within their original campus design back then either.
Must have been angled that way for viewing from Burnet?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 3:08 AM

That section of Braker Ln. running along Bldg. 45 didn't even exist until around 1990 give or take.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 3:35 AM
Austinite

As many of you may be aware, the opening scene in Office Space was filmed along Braker Lane in front of today's Domain. I believe that is IBM building 45 behind the ol' man with the walker at 0:37:

https://youtu.be/fk2YRpLnmdU?t=14

Video Link

(The first few seconds are along the LBJ Freeway/I-635 in Dallas).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 4:24 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
They are slated for demo though as the sites of Domain III and Domain IV.
Is there any timeline for these? I wasn't aware of that until recently with the post above.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
There are still two other original IBM buildings on the site. They have been remodeled and blend in with all the new buildings. But they are the two buildings in the graphic with the dark (aged?) roofs. They are slated for demo though as the sites of Domain III and Domain IV.
Domain 3 and Domain 4 actually aren't 'site names' - they are the names of the existing buildings, although when they are replaced the new buildings will probably keep the same names. They are both 100% leased to multiple tenants. They are marked on that map as potential redevelopment, thus the teal circle. There is probably a long term plan, but I don't think redevelopment of those sites is imminent.

Domain 3: https://www.endeavor-re.com/properties/domain-3/

Domain 4: https://www.endeavor-re.com/properties/domain-4/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin