HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 7:54 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
You do realize that this thread subject is regarding a residential tower, not an office building offering you a job, right?

This is going to give Society Hill some nice views!
Yep, you failed to read between the lines. I'm implying more residential buildings will be built, such as this one, when more new office type jobs come downtown. We have a lot of new residential construction to fill the need of millennials, empty nesters, what have you, but my point is that we can get even more residential highrises built if we can bring more people into the city to live and work.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 12:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Bring more "office" jobs into downtown or court a major company to have it's headquarters location in downtown. We need more office towers.
The city is adding jobs, but its going to be a while before there is enough demand for new tower- especially when two office buildings totaling 2M sf are under construction and FMC tower isn't even fully leased. People seem to think they can gauge jobs numbers by examining number of office buildings under construction. According to charts in recent inky article about commuting city has added 50-60k jobs in last 5-6 years.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 3:52 PM

Hmm. I think it's not as simple as creating more jobs (which would lead to more office buildings) in the city to attract more residential buildings.
I think it can work the other way around as well. For a long time companies refused to locate in the city and chose the suburbs instead because people (specially wealthy and upper-middle class) were moving out of the city at alarming rates due to social issues (racism, safety, etc.)
So I think building interesting residential buildings with amenities that compete with the advantages of a detached home in the suburbs, and getting people to move within city limits would also eventually attract more companies to the city. And it could work the other way around at the same time with different projects.
The goal is to improve the perception of the city by both individuals and companies to get them to relocate in Philly. Residential and corporate projects complement each other. Either can be a causation of the other.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 8:19 PM
Mr. Technology

Last edited by summersm343; Jul 22, 2015 at 8:30 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 8:30 PM

QUIT TAKING THREADS OFF TOPIC.

Any Philadelphia thread taken off topic from here on out will result in the deletion of all off topic post and the offender will be subject to suspension.

This is getting really damn annoying.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 10:45 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Happened to be in Old City this afternoon ...

[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]
Did anyone find out if this huge sign is staying? If so, the views of the bridge will be impeded big time. In fact, that would bother me even looking at it as I drive over the bridge. I wonder if the impeded views are part of the equation that drives the cost of the units.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 12:24 AM

Is construction about to kick off at 205 Race in Old City?

Quote:
The long and winding road of the 205 Race development in Old City looks as though it’s about to reach an important milestone. You might even call it groundbreaking (pun intended).

After years of planning, controversy and multiple design tweaks, construction permits were recently posted on the site at 2nd and Race, the longtime home of a surface parking lot.

The permits provide a glimpse of what exactly is to come–a 17-story building with parking in the basement level, a retail space on the ground floor and 146 "dwelling units." We haven't heard an exact date for the groundbreaking, only that one is currently being planned.
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...jFUALxy3HwL.99

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 3:06 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Did anyone find out if this huge sign is staying?
Hopefully, this illustration answers your question:

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 12:28 AM

August 5 groundbreaking.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...partments.html

Quote:
The $65 million project is moving forward after the developers secured a $45 million construction loan from Citizens Bank.

Brown Hill's initial plan for an apartment building at the site, which it acquired in 2001, was sunk by last decade's housing downturn.

Later attempts were delayed by challenges from neighbors, who opposed the building's height, and by the owner of a billboard that would have been partially obscured at some angles by the structure.

It wasn't until 2013 that the developer had all its entitlements in place, but it took until now to complete the design and put its funding package together, partner Jeffrey Brown said.
So I guess that explains the holdup.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 12:50 AM

BOOM! Bring it!

2015 is turning out to be a great year for tower construction starts. Love it.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 12:55 AM

From Brown Hill's website.

Looks like they're calling it The Bridge and this is the design on their website.

http://www.brownhilldev.com/the-bridge-philadelphia-pa/

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 1:16 AM
Mr. Technology

I always seem to relate "Bridge" with Bridge Street at the Frankford Terminal:
But I suppose The Bridge will eventually grow on me.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 1:40 AM

^^ Adding another address to my picture taking/update journeys. Great addition.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 5:23 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
^^ Adding another address to my picture taking/update journeys. Great addition.
Thank you TallCoolOne

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 1:23 PM

I love this design. It looks like something you'd see in Scandinavia. This is what we need more of. Ultra modern set right up against historic buildings creating an awesome visual contrast. This is so common in European cities, which by the way, have plenty of, if not more, 18th-19th century buildings.

The comments on Philly.com make you want to pull out your hair and laugh out loud at the same time! Most of the complaints are that it doesn't fit with the context of the neighborhood (read: it's not a red brick faux colonial design). Ugh

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 1:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I love this design. It looks like something you'd see in Scandinavia. This is what we need more of. Ultra modern set right up against historic buildings creating an awesome visual contrast. This is so common in European cities, which by the way, have plenty of, if not more, 18th-19th century buildings.

The comments on Philly.com make you want to pull out your hair and laugh out loud at the same time! Most of the complaints are that it doesn't fit with the context of the neighborhood (read: it's not a red brick faux colonial design). Ugh
I think most people will appreciate the contrast this brings. The condo building that was built on arch within last 6-7 years by the same developer is very modern so this is nothing new. It's not as adventurous as this design, but its still unapologetically modern in the middle of Old City.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post

Was thinking same thing!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 2:05 PM

Here we go...Also drove past the National this morning, looked like some work was starting on that project as well.

Image by , on Flickr

Image1 by , on Flickr

Last edited by Mikieman; Aug 3, 2015 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 6:44 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the update Mikieman!

This confirms that the final design is indeed the best design for the project we've seen:

http://www.brownhilldev.com/bridge-philadelphia-pa/

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 PM

I just have to say it again, this design is awesome. Not just the tower, but the entire building from top to bottom. Most other architects would have chickened out and put this tower on a boring red brick base. This tower will stand out from all angles. Bravo!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive