HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 6:09 PM

Fairfield Hotel coming to Benchmark site downtown- Wayne Risher, Commercial Appeal. 11/3/16

http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...town/93237754/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
Fairfield Hotel coming to Benchmark site downtown- Wayne Risher, Commercial Appeal. 11/3/16

http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...town/93237754/
rendering Hotel Equities

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 8:31 PM

One thing I love about our city is seeing developments like this. Nearly 100 year old apartments coming back to life. Keep in mind this is near the area where the state sold land to developers who may bring more apartments/retail to the area.

Realty group buys Overton Park apartment buildings

http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...ings/93290302/

Video

http://www.commercialappeal.com/vide...11/04/93300048

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:11 PM

I can't remember if they ran two dailies to BWI during the summer last year but Southwest goes to two nonstops to BWI in mid April. The DC market is super competitive from MEM these days.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 6:56 PM

Downtown May Get New 12-Story Boutique Hotel

Quote:
A plan to redevelop the former Tenoke Building into a hotel may be revived several years after a similar idea for the vacant Downtown office high-rise fell through.
This must have been what the surveyors were doing when I drove by a few weeks ago.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus10 View Post
Downtown May Get New 12-Story Boutique Hotel

This must have been what the surveyors were doing when I drove by a few weeks ago.

It's been approved... 155 rooms plus 200 person meeting/banquet space. Not the huge 500 room hotel size we need more of but not bad.

Developer Wins Approval For Downtown Aloft Hotel
BY K. DENISE JENNINGS, Special to The Daily News Updated 2:31PM

Mississippi-based Vibrant Hotels Inc. will be developing a new full-scale hotel in the heart of Downtown Memphis after its special use permit was approved by the Land Use Control Board Thursday, Nov. 10.

The 134,000-square-foot century-old Tenoke Building at 161 Jefferson Ave. and an adjacent one-story office at 191 Jefferson will be redeveloped into an Aloft Hotel, a contemporary-styled boutique flag owned by Starwood Hotel & Resorts Worldwide. The full-service property will have 155 rooms and will include banquet facilities for up to 200 people, a pool and an outside patio and bar. The Class C properties were built in 1911 and 1935 respectively and occupy half an acre at the corner of Jefferson and B.B. King Boulevard. Together, they’re appraised at a combined $724,900, according to 2016 Shelby County Assessor data.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 2:36 PM

Here's a better rendering.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 2:44 AM

It's definitely a massive improvement over the original proposal when the developers wanted to convert the building into a Hotel Indigo, although I have to wonder if this project will be a complete gut and rebuild considering the age of the tower itself.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 3:29 AM

Christian Brothers University Rolls Out Second Phase of $70 Million Master Plan
By Bill Dries/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
After raising $42 million of a $70 million capital campaign goal sooner than expected, leaders of Christian Brothers University are embarking on a more aggressive, $28 million second phase that will change the geography of the Fairgrounds-area campus.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...n-master-plan/

rendering (Submitted by CBU)

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 6:28 PM

FedEx announces gifts to help Le Bonheur lodging grow

http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...help/93794404/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 2:55 PM

See Inside: Ballet Memphis' new Midtown home
Meagan Nichols, Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
At 38,000 square feet, the new Overton Square building will be close to double the size of Ballet Memphis' current home. It will house staff offices, conference rooms, dance studios, a physical therapy room, a Pilates room, dressing rooms, a cafe and a double-decker costume room. And, if the building appears exceptionally tall in some parts – it is. The large professional studio will have 45-foot ceilings to enable Ballet Memphis to practice some of its high-flying productions such as "Peter Pan."
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...town-home.html

photo Meagan Nichols | MBJ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

archimania

Quote:
Ballet Memphis

The building, like a music box, has been conceived to contain a surprise and a treasure: dancers and their movement. It is a beautifully crafted object on its own, but becomes even more intriguing when it reveals what it contains. A music box may be opened and closed to hide or reveal its contents….much like the gauzy overhangs and deep insets of the building act as the opening lid that brings to light the activity within. The exterior form emulates a music box, simple and rich in material, to frame and display the music and the dance when it is opened to view.
http://www.archimania.com/projects/c.../#.WCxwDLIrK70

rendering archimania

rendering archimania

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:18 PM

City eyes 900 vacant lots near Crosstown
Michelle Corbet, Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
The North Memphis redevelopment initiative grew out of an idea to reimagine three neighborhoods in North Memphis: Klondike, Smokey City and New Chicago. Development strategies were put together based on the communities’ own needs as communicated to their respective Community Development Corporations (CDC). Each of the neighborhoods has seen a loss in population over the years and, today, have few children to support existing schools, Brown said. To increase population, one of the initiatives is for the city or the CDCs to acquire nearly 900 vacant lots, which make up nearly 50 percent of the area, and develop new housing to accommodate a range of family sizes and incomes.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...crosstown.html

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:22 PM

$25 million building permit filed in Germantown
Meagan Nichols, Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
A permit valued at $25 million was filed Nov. 15 for a five-story office building and a five-story parking garage... The $90 million TraVure project by developers Gill Properties, in addition to office space, will include a five-story Hilton Garden Inn and Home2 Suites by Hilton as well as restaurant and retail space. A $30 million permit for the dual hotels was filed in August.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...ermantown.html

rendering Gill Properties Inc.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 10:01 PM

New news on One Beale:

Downtown site buy opens way for One Beale tower- Tom Bailey, Commercial Appeal, 11/17/16

http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...ower/94035582/

"Developers planning the One Beale high-rise project in Downtown Memphis have bought an adjoining site, opening way for their apartment, office and hotel plan to proceed.

A unit of Memphis-based Carlisle Corp. purchased Wm. C. Ellis & Sons buildings and land at 245 and 275 S. Front for a combined $3.5 million, according to the website of Register of Deeds Tom Leatherwood.

"The property bought from Ellis & Sons meets a strategic need for us in solving parking and other uses previously unavailable to us,'’ Chance Carlisle, president of the firm, said Thursday. ‘It gives us the flexibility to incorporate all the components we have talked about effectively into the design."

One Beale was proposed early last year as a 30-story apartment tower and adjacent hotel on the Downtown river bluff at Beale south of Front Street. But the project was delayed as the developers sought a way to incorporate a parking garage into the plan.

Purchasing the Ellis property nearly doubles the riverfront footage for the project and expands the footprint to nearly 6 acres, allowing the designers to develop a master plan for the property, Carlisle said. The Ellis property would accommodate the garage, which could be surrounded by apartments, Carlisle said."

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 1:53 PM

Guess we're back on for One Beale. I was wondering if we would here anything new before the end of the year.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 7:34 PM

"Developers planning the One Beale high-rise project in Downtown Memphis have bought an adjoining site, opening way for their apartment, office and hotel plan to procee." ....sounds like they may push for three towers from what I heard before. Cant wait to see the renderings. Now that block where those buildings have been purchased also have apartments being constructed across the street. That area will definitely look modern if and when these projects finish.

Last edited by TheKernel91; Nov 18, 2016 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 8:07 PM

That's definitely a good sign for One Beale! One of the biggest issues with the project was the need for extra space. If they are able to build three new towers, it will truly be a new age for Memphis as far as development goes. I do hope that 100 N. Main is able to reopen also. We don't want to start the "build one skyscraper, take one away" game.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWestMemphis View Post
That's definitely a good sign for One Beale! One of the biggest issues with the project was the need for extra space. If they are able to build three new towers, it will truly be a new age for Memphis as far as development goes. I do hope that 100 N. Main is able to reopen also. We don't want to start the "build one skyscraper, take one away" game.
Honestly, I would be totally on board with a push to implode the building. It's a bland, uninspiring tower. It just happens to be our tallest -- with a revolving restaurant (or what used to be a restaurant) on top. And if it were to be bought, turned around, etc., it would still be a dull building. But that's just my $0.02.

Now don't even think about touching Sterrick.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRJ View Post
Honestly, I would be totally on board with a push to implode the building. It's a bland, uninspiring tower. It just happens to be our tallest -- with a revolving restaurant (or what used to be a restaurant) on top. And if it were to be bought, turned around, etc., it would still be a dull building. But that's just my $0.02.

Now don't even think about touching Sterrick.
Well, every city has its share of generic box skyscrapers lol. I want someone to do a rendering of 100 NM with the exterior in glass. I just love the history of the building and would hate to see it imploded. However, it IS time for a new tallest. Memphis deserves a glass and metal tower as its tallest building.

Now, the Sterick is the best skyscraper in Memphis, even in its abandoned state. I like it even more than the Empire State and Chrysler.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWestMemphis View Post
Well, every city has its share of generic box skyscrapers lol. I want someone to do a rendering of 100 NM with the exterior in glass. I just love the history of the building and would hate to see it imploded. However, it IS time for a new tallest. Memphis deserves a glass and metal tower as its tallest building.

Now, the Sterick is the best skyscraper in Memphis, even in its abandoned state. I like it even more than the Empire State and Chrysler.
But would a re-cladding be allowed given its historic registry status? Or does that only apply to the UFO on top?

I agree, a rendering would be nice. Just for dreaming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations