HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 3:50 PM

Geoffrey Baer has a half-hour video on Robert AM Stern on WTTW. http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?p=81,3

Since his modern traditionalist style is all about matching new buildings to the texture and language of the area they're going into, I wonder how that applies to this building. It looks more like a continuation of a "house style" from 15 Central Park West, but I though RAMSA isn't supposed to have a house style. It doesn't strike me as an attempt to blend into Streeterville.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:01 PM
BANNED

And of course Reilly is going to champion this dystopic nightmare, with all of its street-killing curb cuts, its faux finishes, its bazillion units that will seem to exist a thousand miles away in a subdvision in Tampa. A real win for place making.

Edit: and it's not even harrbile Related that is so much to blame, its the divested citizenry and the corrupt leadership at city hall, in this case the drunkard Reilly.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Geoffrey Baer has a half-hour video on Robert AM Stern on WTTW. http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?p=81,3

Since his modern traditionalist style is all about matching new buildings to the texture and language of the area they're going into, I wonder how that applies to this building. It looks more like a continuation of a "house style" from 15 Central Park West, but I though RAMSA isn't supposed to have a house style. It doesn't strike me as an attempt to blend into Streeterville.
I would actually be more appalled if this building were being erected on a site near the classic high rises along Lake Shore Drive, or anywhere in the heart of the Gold Coast. As many have said before me, the quality of materials and design wouldn't live up to the standard bearers on Lake Shore, but in this corner of Streeterville it provides some architectural diversity.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:06 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
ban related from chicago, or HEAVILY regulate how they build their buildings. we dont need another one with totally shit layouts and cookie cutter trims that still costs 4k a month.
they are fucking our apartment/condo market up bigtime. it will cost 5k a month for anything that isnt a boring white box soon.

ALSO, someone fuck up that stupid bedroom loophole that exists. A room behind the kitchen with a half height wall is NOT a bedroom. ill pop the next agent that brings me to such a place.
^ To hell with that. High rents are the best thing that can ever happen in Chicago. I want them higher, and higher still. I want them so high that only douchebags with rich parents can afford to live downtown, and those who can't have to either pile in with a group of 2 others to afford a one bedroom, or live out in the neighborhoods where rents will also be up and up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post

Related's "starchitect" decided to grace our cowtown with not one, but TWO motorcourt's?!?!? Hallelujah finally we have culture here in Chicago!

This building is a total piece of shit. Look at how many curb cuts this block will have once Related is done defecating on it. How is it that even much larger buildings like the Hancock, Sears, or even 900 N Michigan generate two or less curb cuts and this one needs to totally swiss cheese the entire block? Talk about a traffic generator, talk about ruining the pedestrian experience... The reason this building has no retail is that 50% of the ground floor is taken up by unnecessary motor courts.
^ I don't totally hate the building, and I've made it known before that I don't care much for the park that currently sits there. (I just walked by it yesterday, nobody was there and it's basically just a grass lawn with some zig-zag sidewalks. One does not define a good park as a place one can easily use to shortcut through)

But I have to agree, there is way too damn much curb cutting here. But this is something the community must pressure the developer on. I would advocate for eliminating the motor court for the apartments, while keeping it for the condos. Let them both use the same motorcourt. There is no need for two! Also, replace the "apartment motorcourt" and separate "apartment lobby" with a ground level commercial space.

I do like that they are using stone at the base, and that will mitigate the "blank wall" effect on the park. And I'm definitely loving the height...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 5:45 PM

That's an egregious amount of curb-cuts. Is there a prescription in the zoning for this; i.e., are they seeking an adjustment for them or allowed to place them as-of-right? The site is part of PD368, and I don't know what the provisions are for driveways for it (if any exist at all). You have to get permits for these through CDOT, yes?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 6:49 PM

I agree. Two segregated lobbies and motor courts is a retarded idea. The rental component will most likely be converted to condos in the future so why double up on that stuff? Lemme guess, they designed two separate pools, fitness centers, and dry cleaners as well?

As for building design, it's the epitome of 2001 RiNo PoMo -- just taller.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 6:54 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Yep. This is a nasty, nasty building design. It will make all its neighbors look better, that's for sure!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 8:25 PM

Who cares about curb cuts on Peshtigo, nobody is walking there anyways. So since the apts will probably generate the more motorcourt traffic, that is well placed in my book. The dock shouldn't be to busy either...the parking entrance on Illinois is the one that will probably cause the most trouble, but since the entrance is already there...we are stuck with that configuration.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 8:40 PM

since were talking about shitty pomo, what dos everyone think of the Elysian and the park tower?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
1' shorter than Park Tower which was an LR (now Related) project.
Where is this measured from I wonder?

. . .

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 5:00 PM

I contacted SOAR about the motor courts, and they expressed concern over the motor courts during their discussions with the developers. According to Gail at SOAR, one of the motor courts has been dropped from the design. She said that there will be one court with two entrances, and that condo portion is accessed from Grand and the rental part from Peshtigo. However, that would place the motor court at the NW corner, which sounds peculiar. Perhaps she was reciting the entrances/exits of the iteration shown above without thinking about it, or nothing has changed.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 5:32 PM
The City

^ I'm glad they dropped one of the two motorcourts, but I'm having a hard time understanding how they will create two entrances for the motorcourt on the NW side of the building. It looks like we will only be losing 1 of the 5 curb cuts, which is better than nothing I guess. I wonder what they will do with the space created by eliminating the motorcourt on the NE corner?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Oh this is some good news. The seperate entrances thing is in vogue right now in NYC too. It's gross status stuff.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 6:02 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
since were talking about shitty pomo, what dos everyone think of the Elysian and the park tower?
Elysian sucks more than Park Tower. They're both nonsense, but Elysian gets the prize for "most fucked up".....

For those though that cling to this idea that AM Stern is meaningfully better in any way than Lagrange......well, I don't think there's much that can be done for you, I guess.....

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Elysian sucks more than Park Tower. They're both nonsense, but Elysian gets the prize for "most fucked up".....

For those though that cling to this idea that AM Stern is meaningfully better in any way than Lagrange......well, I don't think there's much that can be done for you, I guess.....
IMO the Elysian is a beautiful building. The nearly white beige with the black accents looks fantastic, and the courtyard is great. I know many hate it though, but I think it adds so much to the Gold Coast area. Park Tower is eh.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post

The only thing "better" about RAMSA is that they haven't gone bankrupt. Then again I think the bankruptcy of LaGrange is perhaps the greatest success of the free market in modern times. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I'm glad they dropped one of the two motorcourts, but I'm having a hard time understanding how they will create two entrances for the motorcourt on the NW side of the building. It looks like we will only be losing 1 of the 5 curb cuts, which is better than nothing I guess. I wonder what they will do with the space created by eliminating the motorcourt on the NE corner?
Actually that's what my first thought was: why don't they just combine them into one motor court on the NE corner of the building. Traffic could enter from Peshtigo (so you can easily access it from the East or West) and would be dumped into Illinois (left turns are only easy when they are onto a one-way).

Hopefully the saved space will end up becoming retail. I wish they would make the Westernmost section of the building all retail and provide for an outdoor patio along the park. Maybe a cafe or coffee shop along the park and Illinois. Now THAT would be an improvement over the current status of the park!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11 View Post
IMO the Elysian is a beautiful building. The nearly white beige with the black accents looks fantastic, and the courtyard is great. I know many hate it though, but I think it adds so much to the Gold Coast area. Park Tower is eh.
Black accents... And white vinyl window frames... And brown corrugated steel "roof"...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:47 AM

Quote:
T
Actually that's what my first thought was: why don't they just combine them into one motor court on the NE corner of the building. Traffic could enter from Peshtigo (so you can easily access it from the East or West) and would be dumped into Illinois (left turns are only easy when they are onto a one-way).

Hopefully the saved space will end up becoming retail. I wish they would make the Westernmost section of the building all retail and provide for an outdoor patio along the park. Maybe a cafe or coffee shop along the park and Illinois. Now THAT would be an improvement over the current status of the park!.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 4:51 AM

I do too. I actually think it's a really nice looking building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11 View Post

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:53 PM

Quote:

Hopefully the saved space will end up becoming retail. I wish they would make the Westernmost section of the building all retail and provide for an outdoor patio along the park. Maybe a cafe or coffee shop along the park and Illinois. Now THAT would be an improvement over the current status of the park!
That's what SOAR gave me the impression of, that the court will occupy the NE corner. They are also pushing for a more pedestrian experience at ground level that includes adding retail as an option.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
I do too. I actually think it's a really nice looking building.
It should be way more modern. That's the modern part of Chicago. Total disappointment, this shouldn't be built there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive