HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 12:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

The old system was that all had councils. Hamilton had wardman instead of councilors, think there was 8 wards for old City of Hamilton which inculded Hamilton Mountain. Stoney Creek, Ancaster, Dundas all the same thing. Then we had Regional Chairman for Hamilton-Wentworth which oversees everthing. Pretty typicall of other systems in Ontario. Now it's all lumped together.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:08 PM
BANNED

I realize that, but I want to know how you felt about the old old Hamilton-Wentworth. What was it's make-up? How much control did it already have over the city of Hamilton? Did you also feel it was anti-downtown?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:12 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterlooInvestor View Post
I realize that, but I want to know how you felt about the old old Hamilton-Wentworth. What was it's make-up? How much control did it already have over the city of Hamilton? Did you also feel it was anti-downtown?
yes. Hamilton Wentworth rammed crap like the Meadowlands down our throats despite opposition from the Ancaster council.
Oh yea, and Hamilton taxpayers footed the bill for most of it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:28 PM
BANNED

Given that, wouldn't you say there was already a large amount of amalgamated services prior to the full merger?

Also, many of the issues against amalgamation were already present prior to the merger?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:33 PM
Closed account

i don't know for sure, but I think stuff like snow removal, garbage pickup, police, fire etc...were all separate before the merger.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:38 PM
BANNED

k, if anyone knows that would be helpful.

I'm basically trying to determine if amalgamation, for the most part, already existed in Hamilton in all but name.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterlooInvestor View Post
Here in Waterloo Region, our regional council (5 Kitchener, 3 Cambridge, 3 Waterloo, 1 for each township = total of 4, 1 regional chair) voted in favour of spending millions of dollars in Downtown Kitchener for the new McMaster/UW Medical School. Plus, this same council is in-favour of spending millions on an urban Rapid Transit line, including our chair who is from the town of Elmira (pop. ~10,000).
Waterloo regional council is in a position unique from Hamilton, in that it has an expanding tax base and can therefore more easily support expensive capital projects. Hamilton has a stagnant corporate tax base which has seen two decades of steady decline. Coupled with the added social costs Hamilton was burdoned with (thanks to Harris and Flaherty), money has been extremely tight. Unfortunately most city councillors let self interest come ahead of the overall well-being of the city, so cohesive city-wie plans such as Hamilton's GRIDS project play are overlooked in favour of individual councillors' pet projects. When money is tight, self-interst prevails.

Hamilton has been making some advances towards making the city more attractive to investment (completed ring road, - sorry RTH, right or wrong, this is a major investment catalyst - innovation park, competitive corporate tax rates, expanded property development grant and loan programs) The combined effect of these initiatives will bear fruit in the coming years in the form of a growing corporate tax base. Then perhaps council will feel more comfortable with making decisions and advancing on the big-ticket, city-wide projects rather than their indefinite deferrals.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion