HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 3:46 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminum
How about this opinion:
New York City is the best damn city in the universe, It couldn't become any better in any way. No other town is better than New York in anything, not in present, nor in future. New WTC is best complex of skyscrapers in all the existing dimensions. Nothing can be done to improve it because it hits the ultimate level of greatness. Theres abso-fuckin-lutely nothing wrong with New York City, or with the new WTC complex.

Well said!!!

Could it be be I've been wrong about you all along??

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 9:44 PM

Question: regarding all the reatil in the WTC complex, will it be connected below grade ?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 10:54 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Question: regarding all the reatil in the WTC complex, will it be connected below grade ?
From what I understand, there will be an underground mall as in the original, in addition to street level retail.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 10:56 PM

Sweet.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 12:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Not only will the WTC complex be connected underground, but it will connect to the World Financial Center to the west, as well as the Fulton Street transit center to the east, essentially linking a large part of the neighborhood underground. But what makes this better is the street level retail and reintegrated grid making the WTC once again part of Manhattan streetlife.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Not only will the WTC complex be connected underground, but it will connect to the World Financial Center to the west, as well as the Fulton Street transit center to the east, essentially linking a large part of the neighborhood underground. But what makes this better is the street level retail and reintegrated grid making the WTC once again part of Manhattan streetlife.
Best of both worlds: extensive underground connections and a reinvigoration of street-level activity.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 10:32 PM
New Yorker for life

lowermanhattan.info

Crews at Work on ‘Survivors Stairway’ Relocation

The largest artifact still in its original World Trade Center (WTC) site location will soon be moved. Crews are preparing the “survivor’s stairway,” now in the site’s northeast quadrant, to be removed by mid-March. Installation of steel bracing beneath the granite stairs is nearly complete, allowing the full run to be lifted and moved to an interim location at the WTC. The National 9/11 Memorial will incorporate the stairs into an underground staircase, though the installation date has not yet been announced.

With the stairs relocated, the Port Authority will continue east bathtub excavation at the Tower 2 site to meet its June 30th deadline. The agency turned over the Towers 3 and 4 sites to Silverstein Properties on February 17, 2008.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Best of both worlds: extensive underground connections and a reinvigoration of street-level activity.

Given the anticipated volume of people on a day-to-day basis underground connections are critical.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 8:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
Given the anticipated volume of people on a day-to-day basis underground connections are critical.
It also provides an extra level of convenience, especially for people using transit.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 8:12 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It also provides an extra level of convenience, especially for people using transit.
I remember, even when I was a child, that everytime we'd pass down the Westside Highway, the North Bridge was always packed with people crossing into the WFC or the WTC. The underground connection will make it easy on the traffic flow when all said and done.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 8:21 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...DXE9gD8V8112G0

Crews to Move 9/11 Survivors Staircase

By AMY WESTFELDT

NEW YORK (AP) — Tom Canavan saw the stairs through the smoke after tunneling out of debris that buried him when the World Trade Center's south tower collapsed. The sun fell on a section of gold awning that led him down the stairs to safety on a nearby street.

The north tower collapsed a few minutes later.

"Without that staircase, I don't see myself getting out of that plaza before the north tower comes down and kills me," said Canavan, one of countless Sept. 11 survivors who escaped the burning ruins by the same route.

That staircase — 37 stairs that once connected the outdoor plaza outside the twin towers to the street below — survived Sept. 11 and remains the only above-ground remnant of the trade center complex.

After years of debate over whether and how to preserve the structure, though, the staircase will be moved this weekend for the first time. The stairs are moving about 200 feet west on the site, to be stored until they can be installed at the Sept. 11 memorial.

"I would have liked it if they could have left it where it was," said Canavan, 48. "I realize they couldn't do that."

Preservationists and survivors of the 2001 terrorist attack began campaigning years ago to leave the staircase as it stood, while developers refined plans for office towers, a transit hub and Sept. 11 memorial on the 16-acre site. The staircase, which had weighed 175 tons and stood 22 feet, sits in the middle of the footprint of a 1,278-foot skyscraper, one of five being built to replace the destroyed towers.

In 2006, state officials announced they would demolish all but one or two slabs of the staircase to make way for the new tower, undeterred by a preservation group that named the steps one of the nation's most endangered historic places.

The site's owner, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, said the piece could not be taken off the site because it is too tall for traffic lights and overhead poles and possibly too heavy for bridges.

"You would have to have started moving light poles" to move the staircase intact, said Steve Plate, the agency's director of World Trade Center construction.

Leaders in Gov. Eliot Spitzer's administration worked out a compromise last year to separate the stairs from their concrete base and install them at the Sept. 11 memorial.

"The goal was always to preserve enough of this staircase to really communicate its power," said Joe Daniels, president of the foundation building the memorial. "We can reduce the whole size of this thing but still capture the essence of the stairs."

Avi Schick, chairman of the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. rebuilding agency that brokered the compromise, said that debate over the staircase became a symbolic struggle between the site's history and the long-delayed progress rebuilding it.

"You were pitting memory and preservation and loss and family against redevelopment and construction, as if you could have one or the other but you couldn't coexist," he said. "What we proved is in fact they could coexist."

To prepare it to move, the staircase was whittled down to 65 tons, which includes the weight of an elaborate steel bracing system that took three months to build.

This weekend, a 500-ton crane will lift the piece onto a flatbed and move it next to some construction trailers on the west side of the site, its stairs covered with plywood and Styrofoam for protection, Plate said. The Port Authority is spending $2 million on the move.

By summertime, the stairs will move again: This time a crane will lift them 70 feet in the air and across the site to the memorial, where it will be installed 50 feet from the twin towers' footprints, with stairs on either side for visitors to stand alongside.

The memorial is expected to house several other trade center relics, including pieces of the trident steel columns that once supported the 110-story towers and other artifacts currently in storage at a hangar at John F. Kennedy International Airport. Below ground, a wall that housed the towers' foundation is the last remnant to survive the 2001 terrorist attacks.

Canavan said the day the stairs are installed at the memorial will be the most important to him for the staircase since the day it saved him.

"Once it's in the museum and people can see it, that's the main thing. I think there's a little reverence to it," he said. "It's like a tombstone. This is sort of a tombstone for a lot of people who couldn't get out."

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 1:01 AM
Frigidus Maximus

nyi.com

WTC "Survivor's Staircase" To Be Moved To Storage

March 08, 2008

The last remaining above-ground piece of the World Trade Center will be moved to a storage location on Sunday to accommodate construction.

The so-called "Survivor's Staircase" is expected to be transported several hundred feet to a temporary storage location on the edge of the Trade Center site.

The 37-step staircase connected the plaza outside the Twin Towers to the street below. The stairs provided an escape route for people fleeing the buildings on September 11, 2001.

Initial plans to destroy the staircase drew significant criticism. State officials eventually agreed to separate the stairs from their concrete base.

Current plans call for the staircase to be brought back to the site this summer as part of a memorial.

Now, with any luck at all, some hapless bureaucrat will misplace the paperwork indicating where precisely the stairs are stored, and they'll wind up shelved permanently next to the Ark of the Covenant in some government warehouse somewhere...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 12:03 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/ny...on&oref=slogin

Revered Relic of World Trade Center Is Moved

Workers at ground zero starting to lift the "survivors' stairway" on Sunday. The stairway, an escape route on Sept 11, 2001, was moved to facilitate reconstruction. It will be part of a World Trade Center museum.

A worker placing a flag on the “survivors’ stairway” on Sunday moments before it was moved, to make way for an office tower.

By FERNANDA SANTOS
March 10, 2008

The steel cables tensed, like a sprinter’s muscles at the start of a race. Then, the crane’s engine roared as the operator pulled a lever, moving the staircase off the ground and 180 degrees from south to north.

And that was how on Sunday the staircase became the last visible remnant of the World Trade Center to be removed from the place where it had stood on Sept. 11, 2001.

The stairs’ relocation marked a brief yet momentous occasion for the engineers who had spent months planning the operation, the preservationists who had spent years trying to save the staircase from destruction and the hundreds of people who had used the steps to flee the complex before the twin towers fell.

It also started a new phase in the rebuilding of Lower Manhattan. With the staircase out of the way, the construction of Tower 2, a 1,278-foot-tall skyscraper, can continue unimpeded, with workers and machinery now free to move about without risking damage to a piece of 9/11 history. Tower 2 is one of the five towers being built at ground zero.

“You were pitting memory and preservation and loss and family against redevelopment and construction, as if you could have one or the other, but you couldn’t coexist,” Avi Schick, chairman of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, told reporters at ground zero. “What we proved is in fact they could coexist.”

The staircase will stand opposite a park outside 7 World Trade Center, about 200 feet north of its original spot, until the end of the summer.

Then it will be moved again, this time to the western edge of the 16-acre trade center site, and lowered 70 feet, almost to the bedrock, to where the National Sept. 11 Memorial and Museum will be built, said Joseph C. Daniels, the museum’s president.

At 21 feet high and 64 feet long, the staircase, which has come to be known as the survivors’ stairway for the vital role it played as an escape route, had stood largely obscured, first by debris and then by fencing and equipment.

Its 38 steps, which once connected Vesey Street to the north end of the trade center’s Austin J. Tobin Plaza, were hidden by a thick concrete partition that served as their support. From the street, the stairs could easily be mistaken for a free-standing wall.

In January workers began to chip away at the concrete, and by this month they had extracted the staircase from the bulkhead and the rest of the structure, including a fragment of the Tobin Plaza pavement that remained attached to the top.

The steps suddenly became visible, rising from the dirt into the air.

“If it wasn’t for those steps, I probably wouldn’t be here today,” said Tom Canavan, 48, after watching workers moving the staircase.

On Sept. 11, 2001, Mr. Canavan was working at the Union Bank on the 47th floor of the north tower when the building was struck by a hijacked plane. He fled the office, eventually reaching the trade center’s concourse, where he found himself buried by debris from the south tower’s collapse.

“By the time I tunneled my way out, to the plaza,” he said on Sunday, “the only way I could get out was through the stairway on Vesey Street.”

Hundreds of others are believed to have escaped the trade center site by going down those stairs, said Peg Breen, president of the New York Landmarks Conservancy, one of the preservation groups that worked to save the staircase.

“This a terribly important part of the 9/11 story, a story of survival in the midst of so much destruction,” Ms. Breen said. “It’s a story that we now know will be told.”

In 2006, state officials announced plans to demolish the staircase to make way for the new tower, dismaying preservationists and angering many survivors. The officials said that only one or two of the steps would be salvaged.

Last August, however, the Spitzer administration offered an alternate solution: Move the staircase from its original spot, and eventually reinstall it in the museum, alongside the steps and escalator that will be used by museum visitors.

Preparations for Sunday’s removal had been in the works for three months, said Steven Plate, director of World Trade Center construction for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the site. It involved the removal of the bulkhead and the construction of a steel framework to run beneath the staircase.

Crews used a 500-ton crane to move the staircase, which weighs 65 tons, Mr. Plate said. The cost of the removal is estimated to be $2 million.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 12:40 PM

I think we have something to celebrate here!

(earthcam)

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 8:03 PM
World Machine

Well I would imagine now that this staircase is out of the picture we will start to see some excavation work being done on the site.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 1:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Well I would imagine now that this staircase is out of the picture we will start to see some excavation work being done on the site.
Yeah, I would imagine...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 12:31 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2008/build-n...ession-rebound

Build Now, Fill Later!
Trade Center Towers to Reap Recession Rebound

Economic funk has to lift someday—new towers will be waiting

by Eliot Brown
March 11, 2008

A global credit crunch and looming national recession have turned a once bustling market for commercial real estate on its head, as the level of leasing and sales within Manhattan has plummeted.

But could the dour economy, by putting a damper on proposed office building development, actually turn out to benefit the future World Trade Center towers?

Such a scenario now seems plausible, real estate professionals say, given recent local history, when booming job growth and economic expansion have tended to follow a recession by only a few years.

Just as the few developers who went ahead with projects in the dark days of 2002 reaped great rewards a few years later as employment grew and Manhattan’s office supply remained relatively flat, developer Larry Silverstein and the Port Authority, led by executive director Anthony Shorris, could score big if the economy expands at the right time.

“Banks have substantially tightened up—developers no longer have the free access to money to build speculative projects,” said Avi Schick, chairman of the state-run Lower Manhattan Development Corporation. “You look at downtown, and you say, downtown is going to have an edge, because there are six towers that are being built or planned. Everything is in place to make those happen.”

While not all agree that the World Trade Center towers will be an instant success—a recession could deal disproportionate injury to financial services firms, and could shoot up vacancy downtown, some contend—there seems to be a widespread feeling that despite a slowing economy, the conditions at the site are stronger than they were just a year or two ago.

Less citywide construction could lower costs at the World Trade Center site, a government official said. And the completion dates for the buildings developed by Mr. Silverstein and the Port Authority—2012 for the Freedom Tower and Towers 3 and 4, and 2013 for Tower 2—should allow them to skip any current economic uncertainty.

“The marketplace in New York still needs new office space—we don’t have enough of it,” said Peter Riguardi, the president of the New York office of brokerage Jones Lang LaSalle. “I’m bullish on the World Trade Center.”

Surrounding the four World Trade Center towers—three of which have started or are soon to start construction—will be three of the country’s largest investment banks, one of which, JPMorgan Chase, could possibly further expand its presence.

“They’re considering ways to maximize the number of employees who can be downtown,” Mr. Schick said of JPMorgan.

The firm agreed in June to move to the site of the former Deutsche Bank tower—which is inching toward demolition after a fatal fire last summer—and to bring the world headquarters of its investment banking division, including about 7,000 employees, to the site. The preliminary design of the tower released last June would have a prominent set of trading floors that cantilever over a church below, an architectural feature dubbed by Steve Cuozzo of the New York Post as a “beer belly.” JPMorgan declined to comment about any possible changes or expansion to the tower.

Add to that the continued presence of Merrill Lynch, which back in December came to the brink of an agreement to relocate to midtown, a move that would have opened up a cavern of almost three million square feet of available office space at the World Financial Center just as the World Trade Center towers nearby were coming online, in 2013. Such a move surely would have changed the mood downtown overnight.

Merrill has been in talks with Brookfield Properties, its landlord, to extend its World Financial lease by five years, to 2018. A Brookfield spokeswoman, Melissa Coley, said the landlord was “in the midst of active and productive discussions” with Merrill.

Massive subsidies, too, will surely play a role in any successes at ground zero.

For both the World Trade Center and Lower Manhattan as a whole, the city, state and federal governments have showered billions of dollars into various infrastructure investments, tax and rent incentives, and lease deals to draw businesses downtown, making any company’s move to Lower Manhattan far less costly than one to midtown.

The city, state and federal governments agreed to take the first chunk of leases within the complex, as they signed away about 2.2 million square feet of space at Tower 4 and part of the Freedom Tower in 2006. Another 6.5 million square feet or so are left to be leased in the complex.

The incentives easily add up. For instance, when officials announced the deal with JPMorgan to build its tower next to ground zero, the Spitzer administration said the company would get well over $200 million in subsidies, with the vast majority of that coming from programs available to any business moving downtown.

The extraordinary investment in infrastructure also plays a key role; this includes the billions in public dollars behind two new transit hubs, parks, the World Trade Center memorial and grants for small businesses.

All such subsidies have their detractors—critics say that some of the incentive plans passed had less to do with sound policy than with political trading—and some are less than bullish on the success of the World Trade Center towers.

Developer Douglas Durst, whose new tower at One Bryant Park has been far more successful than even he projected when he signed Bank of America as an anchor tenant in 2003, noted that the best time to be building, if one has the financing, is in the middle of an economic downturn.

“We always do like to build into a recession, not as one’s starting,” Mr. Durst said. “Building as a recession starts is somewhat of a risk.”

Mr. Durst’s Bank of America tower, which has fetched rents of more than $150 a square foot (Mr. Durst planned for about $100 a foot on the upper floors), also seemed better situated than the World Trade Center towers with respect to competitor office space.

His tower was one of very few new Class A office buildings to come available in Manhattan since 2001, making it a hotly contested commodity. And while there is still not all that much space coming on the market in the next five years or so—projects such as SJP Properties’ 11 Times Square and Boston Properties’ Eighth Avenue tower are both expected to be completed by 2011—the list is longer than a few years ago and thus competition for tenants is sure to be more intense.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 5:05 PM
World Machine

I'm glad he has that attitude, however I don't believe they'll have problems lining up tenants.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 11:26 PM

Now if only we could get that guy to other parts of the country to do some convincing for them!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 11:46 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Now if only we could get that guy to other parts of the country to do some convincing for them!
Nah, I think we'll keep Larry right here where he belongs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction