HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 9:04 PM

Awesome! I love Baton Rouge! I agree it would be great with some nice glass on the ground floor.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 12:06 PM
Closed account

Their twice-baked potatoes are incredible.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
Yeah, the Morse Tea building is getting loft style offices & 2 floors will be for a restaurant - Baton Rouge.
That sounds great! Haven't been to a Baton Rouge before but I looked up their menu online and it looks great! I'm glad to see them redevelop the Morse building while keeping the original flavour (pardon the restaurant reference) of it relatively undisturbed!

I wish they'd get on with the Waterside project though! I'm getting tired of seeing the hollowed-out shells of once-interesting buildings that now remain... and I miss O'Carrol's! I hope Armour hurries up and builds their glass box above these facades so we can get O'Carrol's back!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 8:45 PM

Hopefully almost all of those historic buildings on Barrington can be turned into lofts. Like I said before, they are beating a dead horse trying to get these things torn down to build office buildings on Barrington. The more people living in that area, the better.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
Hopefully almost all of those historic buildings on Barrington can be turned into lofts. Like I said before, they are beating a dead horse trying to get these things torn down to build office buildings on Barrington. The more people living in that area, the better.
Lofts would be a great way to add people to downtown. I bet they would fetch incredible rents, especially for downtown oriented people without cars! Plus every little bit of density helps, even if one building only has 4 or 8 units! Its 4 or more that weren't there before!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 6:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's also easy to add a few floors onto buildings to increase the density while having little impact on the heritage feel of the area. The proposed Sam redevelopment is a good example of this -- five or six storeys total on what's now a three storey building. Unfortunately, I think that's an office proposal. Had it been residential maybe it would be under construction right now and it could have had perhaps 20 very nice units or more.

There are a few other sites on Barrington that could have new residential buildings. Carsand Mosher is one and CD Plus is another. The best thing for those sites would be quick development into 5 or 6 storey apartment buildings with ground floor retail.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 1:38 PM

I agree. Apartments in the downtown are a no brainer. I was talking to Louis Lawen a little while ago, and he was saying that with W suites he had it pretty much full by the time it was built. He will probably realize the same results with VIC. The more warm bodies downtown, the more vibrant it will become.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Lofts would be a great way to add people to downtown. I bet they would fetch incredible rents, especially for downtown oriented people without cars! Plus every little bit of density helps, even if one building only has 4 or 8 units! Its 4 or more that weren't there before!
You get more people down there and they actually KEEP the buildings in good shape. Most of them are disgusting. At least when you have tenants they'll keep them clean.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 6:28 PM

Ribs and more on menu when Baton Rouge opens in Halifax this summer

By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Fri, Jan 7 - 4:54 AM

The competition for rib lovers’ dollars will be sizzling this spring with the opening of a Baton Rouge restaurant in the Morse’s Tea building on the Halifax waterfront.

Three experienced entrepreneurs — Maxime St. Pierre, Leo Salloum and Shayan Safaei — are partners in the franchise.

St. Pierre said Thursday that Salloum and Safaei will handle day-to-day operations at the new restaurant while he is involved as an investor.

"This is much more than a rib joint, and we have great plans for the space," St. Pierre said in an interview.

"We want to preserve the historic building’s unique features."

The Baton Rouge restaurant will occupy about 6,000 square feet, mostly in the first two floors of the historic building, which is owned by Starfish Properties of Halifax, he said.

Baton Rouge operates at 29 locations across Ontario, Quebec and Alberta.

The chain is part of Imvescor Restaurant Group Inc., based in Moncton. The restaurant specializes in ribs, steaks and seafood.

"The Morse’s Tea building has deep roots in Halifax’s history and we will make sure to honour its rich heritage by serving Morse’s Tea to all our guests," Kevin Friesen, chief operating officer with Baton Rouge restaurants, said in a news release.

St. Pierre and Salloum are business people who are active members of the Halifax community. Safaei has managed 12 successful Baton Rouge locations over 12 years.

Imvescor Restaurant Group was started in Shediac, N.B., about 40 years ago and is known in Atlantic Canada for its Pizza Delight franchises and corporate locations. The company has thousands of employees working in various branded restaurants across Canada.

Nova Scotia Liberal MP Scott Brison married St. Pierre in 2007.

( bpower@herald.ca)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
Ribs and more on menu when Baton Rouge opens in Halifax this summer

By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Fri, Jan 7 - 4:54 AM

The competition for rib lovers’ dollars will be sizzling this spring with the opening of a Baton Rouge restaurant in the Morse’s Tea building on the Halifax waterfront.

Three experienced entrepreneurs — Maxime St. Pierre, Leo Salloum and Shayan Safaei — are partners in the franchise.

St. Pierre said Thursday that Salloum and Safaei will handle day-to-day operations at the new restaurant while he is involved as an investor.

"This is much more than a rib joint, and we have great plans for the space," St. Pierre said in an interview.

"We want to preserve the historic building’s unique features."

The Baton Rouge restaurant will occupy about 6,000 square feet, mostly in the first two floors of the historic building, which is owned by Starfish Properties of Halifax, he said.

Baton Rouge operates at 29 locations across Ontario, Quebec and Alberta.

The chain is part of Imvescor Restaurant Group Inc., based in Moncton. The restaurant specializes in ribs, steaks and seafood.

"The Morse’s Tea building has deep roots in Halifax’s history and we will make sure to honour its rich heritage by serving Morse’s Tea to all our guests," Kevin Friesen, chief operating officer with Baton Rouge restaurants, said in a news release.

St. Pierre and Salloum are business people who are active members of the Halifax community. Safaei has managed 12 successful Baton Rouge locations over 12 years.

Imvescor Restaurant Group was started in Shediac, N.B., about 40 years ago and is known in Atlantic Canada for its Pizza Delight franchises and corporate locations. The company has thousands of employees working in various branded restaurants across Canada.

Nova Scotia Liberal MP Scott Brison married St. Pierre in 2007.

( bpower@herald.ca)
I thought the Morse tea building was owned and part of the Waterside project? Hmmm I guess not. I dislike the last line of this article; how they tacked it in. What was the point? Who cares if he's married to Scott Brison - has no impact on the business.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I thought the Morse tea building was owned and part of the Waterside project? Hmmm I guess not. I dislike the last line of this article; how they tacked it in. What was the point? Who cares if he's married to Scott Brison - has no impact on the business.
It is information. I thought that I recognized the name, but couldn't place it. Now I know. Sometimes spouses of prominent people are both mentioned in such articles.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 11:26 AM

Developer: Delay not sitting well

Waterside Centre is set to be boarded up, claims Ben McCrea Construction site’s condition could result in fine for unsightly premises: Coun. Dawn Sloane

JENNIFER TAPLIN
METRO HALIFAX
Published: January 19, 2011 1:07 a.m.
Last modified: January 19, 2011 1:16 a.m.

The Waterside Centre overcame many hurdles before being approved but now it’s stalled by bureaucracy.

The project, a six-storey glass office building perched atop three storeys of heritage buildings on Lower Water Street, won approval from the utility and review board in 2009 after council voted it down in 2008.

Some work has been done on the site, but developer Ben McCrea said he’s been waiting over eight months for municipal paperwork to go through.

“It shows you how anxious they are to see something happen, doesn’t it?” said McCrea.

He said the delay is costing him: There are taxes to pay and site maintenance.

“We’re gearing up to board the buildings back up,” McCrea said.

“We’ve got an eyesore down there right now. With all the windows out, it looks atrocious, and I’m discouraged with all this.”

He applied for an easement and an encroachment because piping is needed to go under Lower Water Street and Historic Properties to get to the harbour. The building will use ocean water for heating and cooling.

“Our staff is working with the developer, and ultimately this has to go to council,” said Shaune MacKinlay, HRM spokeswoman. “We’re looking at trying to get something to council early next month.”

Downtown Coun. Dawn Sloane said she doesn’t think council will refuse the request out of spite. But she said she’s disappointed McCrea doesn’t want to share the pipe with any other downtown buildings.

“You lose a war, you lose a war,” she said, adding the site looks like a bombed-out building and has been defaced with graffiti

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 11:47 AM
Honored Member

Why would such paperwork take so long? Is this the real holdup for this project as opposed to being pre-leasing difficulties? If it is the paperwork then this is a very sad reflection on HRM bureaucracy.

PS: Although the HRM council usually gets blamed for such delays, maybe the HRM staff is to blame? Or is Ben McCrea to blame for the delay (maybe he didn't submit sufficient information)? It is difficult to know for sure.

Last edited by fenwick16; Jan 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Why would such paperwork take so long? Is this the real holdup for this project as opposed to being pre-leasing difficulties? If it is the paperwork then this is a very sad reflection on HRM bureaucracy.

PS: Although the HRM council usually gets blamed for such delays, maybe the HRM staff is to blame? Or is Ben McCrea to blame for the delay (maybe he didn't submit sufficient information)? It is difficult to know for sure.
I remember during the public hearings that there was a requirement for an easement because the building was to be heated and cooled with seawater.

I think the easement is part of the development agreement, or at least again remember reading something in the agreement to the effect.

Preleasing is preleasing, but due to the relative smaller size Waterside Centre is the developer could probably build on spec taking the risk in hopes the building will lease up. Buildings like international place, due to their size and costs could never go on spec and would require siginifcant preleasing.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 2:15 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post

I am sure it is a little of column A and a little of column B. No doubt that the city drags its feet. Having said that, McCrea seems more than happy to find others to blame for the inability to move his projects forward. At different times in the last year he has blamed the banks, the city, Nova Centre etc... anything that deflects any blame from him.

The reality I am sure is that multiple issues are at play here, only one of which is a municipal process that takes way longer than it should.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 4:22 PM

Easements are tricky legal entitites. I've had a few projects over my career where they were required and let me tell you; it's probably not planners or engineers causing the issue - it's probably lawyers. They are a legal nightmare to get the language 'just right', plus to also indemnify the City against potential harm if something happens. I think McRae will have to post a bond or have insurrance - since the city often takes the position of we didn't need it or want it; but if you want to have it; all responsibility is yours.

Whenever i deal with projects now, I try to avoid encroachments or easements as much as possible.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 1:25 PM

METRO HALIFAX
Published: January 31, 2011 12:01 a.m.
Last modified: January 31, 2011 12:09 a.m.

Halifax regional council will approve or reject the paperwork needed for the Waterside Centre development to move forward.

Armour Group applied to the municipality more than eight months ago for an encroachment and an easement for a pipe to cross Lower Water Street to the Harbour. Armour wants to use ocean water for heating and cooling the office building.

Council will vote on the issue tomorrow and city staff recommended in their report that council approve the request.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 8:57 PM

It took 8 months for this to finally get to council.

Wow.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 9:25 PM

Yeah, when they thought the place had been bombed they reluctantly decided to develop something

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
It took 8 months for this to finally get to council.

Wow.
I'm actually not surprised. Easements are really tricky legal things - honestly I had one application here in Calgary that required and easement and it got hung up for 6 months going through legal. So it's probably not the fault of planners; it's lawyers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth