HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you visit SSP Local: Hamilton regularly?
Yes, I am a Hamilton forumer 27 77.14%
Yes, I am a Hamiltonian in spirit 3 8.57%
No, I don't know what I'm doing here 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:38 PM

a newbie and a Hamiltonian ... life long .. all 64 years ...

Mack

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:48 PM

Good to see all the new forumers. Welcome and don't be afraid to participate, the more the merrier. Emotions run high here sometimes but it's just an internet forum so it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 4:09 PM
Closed account

Welcome, Mack! I read your post in the Gage Park thread, and I must say KUDOS TO YOU!
Now please... tell your colleagues to stop running over ppl!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 1:26 PM

hello.

this is my first post. this seemed like a good thread to introduce myself in.

i just joined the forum recently, after a few months of lurking. i really enjoy the discussions and EPIC photo threads up on here.

a little background: i currently live on the west mountain, but i was born and raised in the east end. i'm getting really interested in downtown development and heritage issues. i've always been into local history and recently i've been trying to get more involved.

so... hi guys.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 1:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

Welcome Astro!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroblaster View Post
i'm getting really interested in downtown development and heritage issues. i've always been into local history and recently i've been trying to get more involved.
That's excellent, more and more people are becoming interested in urban issues.

Welcome to the forum

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 2:14 PM

I'm a born and bred Hamiltonian. Born at the Henderson in that great old building overlooking the escarpment.

I hate it with people say "sorry to hear that" when I tell them I've lived in Hamilton all my life.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 2:27 PM

Hi hammergirl

I work in Mississauga/Toronto... and the negative attitude towards us out here is ridiculous. I get those types of comments nearly every time I mention where I live.

I always knew it was bad, but since I started to work out here I have found that it's outrageous how badly people living so close to us perceive our city.

I think they need to look at some of flar's photo threads...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 3:25 PM

Yep, I agree. Unfortunately to many people their perception of Hamilton (and other things) doesn't allow them to see/accept the reality.

My wife (she grew up here) and I moved to Hamilton just over 2 months ago. When we tell people we bought a house and have moved to Hamilton, they excitedly ask: "Oh where, up on the mountain"?.

When we say: "No in the lower city", you can see the excitement and joy for us and our home purchase just melt off their faces.........

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 4:51 PM

You need to carry around a wallet sized photo of your house. They would be surprised when it isn't a crumbling shithole with smokestacks in the background.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 4:53 PM

FairHamilton, their faces will really melt when ten years from now you have an LRT route whisking by your neighbourhood and the value of your home has doubled.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
FairHamilton, their faces will really melt when ten years from now you have an LRT route whisking by your neighbourhood and the value of your home has doubled.
Flar,

One small addition, doubled and mortgage free

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 5:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
When we tell people we bought a house and have moved to Hamilton, they excitedly ask: "Oh where, up on the mountain"?.

When we say: "No in the lower city", you can see the excitement and joy for us and our home purchase just melt off their faces.........
We were living in St. Catharines when we were house hunting in Westdale and the Southwest. When people heard we were moving to Hamilton, they said "Oh you HAVE to live on the mountain. It's so much cleaner and safer!" We didn't bother telling them we were looking in the lower city. We just plastered icy smiles on our faces and thanked them for their concern.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 5:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

Wish I could afford to live in Westdale.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 6:08 PM
Closed account

Yeah. It sucks how income properties have driven prices beyond what the houses are worth given the quality of the construction (surprisingly crappy in many cases, especially the houses built in the 20's - 30's homes are generally better), and the spotty maintenance and updating. We managed to find something under 200g's, but this was 10 years ago, and it was on a busy street and needed *alot* of work (shag carpeting on the walls - need I say more?)

LOVE Westdale, though. Worth every penny and drop of sweat.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 8:49 PM
Hammer'd

Funny someone should bring up the "Toronto hate" that is here in Hamilton. I get just as a bad a response when I mention to a Hamiltonian that I'm from Toronto as a Hamiltonian would get vice versa. Then again, the entire province seems to hate on Toronto anyway. It's kinda funny to compare to Upper New York state people who cringe when you mention NYC.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 1:11 PM

Just a quick annecdote on the different view points that City folk and Country folk have.

Some aunts and uncles came by for a visit this weekend, they all live down in the Haggersville, Port Dover area. One couple jokingly said that it had been a while since they had come down to the big scary city. They also thought it smelled kind of funny in Hamilton (which it does).

I should also mention however that they own and live on a PIG FARM!

And they say Hamilton smells funny... sheeesh!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 1:32 PM
Closed account

lol....I'm sure everywhere smells funny once you leave the pig farm.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 1:39 PM

I only notice the "Hamilton smell" around Woodward ave. Not downtown, not even in the southern parts of the lower east end where I grew up.

Am I missing it?

Even if i go up north for a week and come back, I don't notice the stink like other people seem to.

Am I too accustomed to it? I've lived in the Hammer my entire life so I guess thats possible.

By the way.. Woodward smells horrible. I think its the water treatment plant in particular

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 1:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

I find that I get the sulfur smell on a hot, sticky and muggy morning once you go outside from your A/C house.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion