HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 8:39 PM

How Toronto Turned an Airport Rail Failure Into a Commuter Asset
CHRIS BATEMAN JAN 19, 2018

The Union Pearson Express launched with expensive rides and low ridership. Now, with fares slashed in half and a light rail connection in the works, it’s a legitimate transit alternative for workers.

UPX guest service employees stand outside the open doors of a train. Metrolinx says almost a quarter of riders are now traveling for work or other reasons than accessing the airport. Metrolinx

For years, arrivals to Toronto via its Pearson International Airport emerged into a sunless area beneath an overpass 14 miles from downtown.

Until recently, anyone without a ride waiting for them outside the terminal would have to settle for a taxi, rental car, or a city bus. With downtown cab costing a fixed $53 CAD before tip, many settled for the $3 bus.

Unlike Chicago, which wants a new rapid transit service between O’Hare and downtown—potentially courtesy of Elon Musk—Toronto doesn’t have a subway connection to its airport. As a result, the 192 Airport Rocket bus was just the first in a series of steps necessary to reach the city center as it dropped off passengers at the end of the subway, with a 30-40 minute ride and a transfer away from the city center.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...ictory/551012/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 8:47 PM

Long-lost chunk of Canada found in Australia

Discovery reveals new info about ancient supercontinent Nuna that formed 1.6 billion years ago
By Emily Chung, CBC News Posted: Jan 29, 2018 1:56 PM ET Last Updated: Jan 29, 2018 2:54 PM ET

A piece of Canada that broke off about 1.7 billion years ago has been found in Australia.

Geologists analyzed chemical signatures for very ancient sedimentary rocks in Georgetown, Queensland, that offer clues about where those rocks were when they formed.

At that time, the continents were drifting together to form a supercontinent called Nuna or Columbia. The data suggests that the Georgetown rocks broke off from Canada and collided with northern Australia around 1.6 billion years ago. It remained there even after Nuna broke apart 300 million years later.

The researchers found a geological signature that "cannot be linked with any other rocks in Australia," Adam Nordsvan, lead author of the new research, said in an email to CBC News.

Instead, it's "strikingly similar to other sedimentary rocks deposited at a similar time in North America, in particular the Wernecke Supergroup of the Yukon region and the Athabasca Basin."

This cartoon illustrates how the Georgetown terrane of present-day northern Queensland was originally part of North America some 1,700 million years ago. It then joined Australia at around 1,600 million years ago during the formation of the supercontinent Nuna, and has remained part of Australia since. (Adam Nordsvan/Curtin University)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ca...nent-1.4508780

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 4:57 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...xsutawney-phil

Pennsylvania's prognosticating Punxsutawney Phil predicted 6 more weeks of Winter today, 80% of the time each year over past 103 years, he does see his shadow thus indicating 6 more weeks of Winter.

Weather forecasts indicate that a Polar Vortex will settle in over parts of the Canada for February.
January saw slightly above +0°C temperature for day-time high on average in SouthWestern Saskatchewan in 2018. February is the month where temperatures start to warm up, but its been a below average temperature start to the month so far.

Last edited by SaskScraper; Feb 3, 2018 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 7:09 PM

SMALL MERCEDES-BENZ A-CLASS COMING TO CANADA AT LAST

Read more at https://www.auto123.com/en/news/merc...VYwDOr3XhGQ.99

Canada will get both the hatchback and sedan versions.

the Americans who seem to hate hatchbacks will only get the sedan. its kinda ugly.

they have really redesigned them, this is the older A-class that was common in europe

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
SMALL MERCEDES-BENZ A-CLASS COMING TO CANADA AT LAST

But we already have these?

source: https://di-uploads-pod7.s3.amazonaws.com

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 5:35 AM

^^ definitely city cars, perfect for parking but I just wouldn't feel safe on Deerfoot Trail or any highway... with truck traffic for that matter. Gas mileage being a major bonus but I still don't think fuel savings be worth it compared to safety though.
I drive to Med Hat often, and every couple/few weeks to Calgary, Regina & Saskatoon for family/friends, airport, concerts & sports etc.

Just thinking of concerts alone in next 3 months, with NF Perception tour and PVRIS concert in next couple months in Saskatoon. Eagles concert at Mosaic Stadium in May. We'd probably save $100 on gas for both of us going in a Smart car just on concerts alone

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 2:00 AM
Identity Condiment

How are they less safe? If you get t-boned in that or in an F-150, there's still just as much door between you and the other vehicle.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 2:08 AM

Smart Car is also owned by Mercedes, they are a common sight on Vancouver streets in the form of car sharing vehicles.

https://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isc...&bih=651&dpr=1

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 11:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A new beer cafe opened downtown that is named after my favourite instrumental folk song.

Video Link

It's not a great song but if you're doing Newfoundland folk dancing, which I was in my whole childhood, it's the sweatiest, fastest one for foot and swing dancing. The girls in our group got bruises on their breasts from dancing to it lol. 20 years later and if I did that again, now I would It's savage. Even Beyonce loves it.

Video Link

Anyhow, my point Is, yay another local replaces a franchise. And I want to go to there.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 8:58 PM

Comparing NA climatic zones to Eurasian Regions

source

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 9:07 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Interesting map, though "Japan" is quite a range of climates from Hokkaido down to Iwo Jima...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Interesting map, though "Japan" is quite a range of climates from Hokkaido down to Iwo Jima...
As is the area shown on the map, a similar range it seems.

The BC coastal climate varies significantly from the UK though; although temperatures may be similar, seasonal precipitation patterns are different.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 6:02 AM

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 4:21 AM

Masked mob dressed in black vandalizes streets of Hamilton

Hamilton police estimate the damage caused Saturday to be around $100K

By Laura Clementson, CBC News Posted: Mar 04, 2018 11:15 AM ET

Hamilton police are asking for the public's help in identifying the mob of vandals who went on a rampage in the Kirkendall neighbourhood near downtown Saturday night — setting off fireworks, damaging vehicles and throwing rocks at store windows — causing an estimated $100,000 of damage.

At around 10 p.m. Saturday night a group of about 30 individuals dressed in black clothing with their faces covered walked through the streets carrying a banner that said, "We Are The Ungovernables," say police. Police and witnesses say the mob damaged property, while setting off fireworks in the streets.

"I was actually shaking," said Krista Boyd, who was driving on Locke at the time and had to stop her car.

"They weren't even moving out of my way. They were around my car, walking around me." The guy looked like he was going to throw something and I was like 'Well this is bad,'" said Boyd.

pics and videos at source:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...hief-1.4561615

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 4:33 AM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ wtf?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 4:53 AM
Identity Condiment

That's the general reaction to that even from much of Hamilton too. Not just "what the fuck", but also "why the fuck".

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
That's the general reaction to that even from much of Hamilton too. Not just "what the fuck", but also "why the fuck".
Maybe a witless protest against Trump's steel tariffs? Not very effective.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 11:19 PM

the CBC article says that an Anarchy book fair was being held in a high school in the area. They are looking into that to see if they can find people involved.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 7:36 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Another CBC article mentioned that it was an organized group of anti-gentrification protesters. Is gentrification really that much of an issue in Hamilton?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 8:26 PM

A bunch of teenage/early 20's losers that probably live at home and don't have jobs. I hope they all get busted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada