HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
Might not be anything, but I just noticed that on the updated google earth/maps images of ABIA that there is an airplane sitting on the old west runway. Any ideas what that is or how it got there?

(perhaps I found the egg. damn it, shouldn't have told anyone)
I believe that it is an old FedEx MD-10/11, used for practice by the airport fire department. It's been there for several months at least.

https://twitter.com/austinairport/st...37058934366208

Last edited by skylerspaeth; Feb 21, 2018 at 3:23 PM. Reason: added image

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerspaeth View Post
I believe that it is an old FedEx MD-10/11, used for practice by the airport fire department. It's been there for several months at least.

https://twitter.com/austinairport/st...37058934366208
That’s a 727, I think. The three engines are on the tail-on the MD’s, they’re under wing.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
That’s a 727, I think. The three engines are on the tail-on the MD’s, they’re under wing.
You're right. I didn't realize until now that FedEx ever operated the 727, so I just assumed that it was one of their classic MD-11s. You can tell it's decommissioned from FedEx because when you drive past the airport on 183, you can see the old livery shine through the new paint. My bad

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
You're right. I didn't realize until now that FedEx ever operated the 727, so I just assumed that it was one of their classic MD-11s. You can tell it's decommissioned from FedEx because when you drive past the airport on 183, you can see the old livery shine through the new paint. My bad
Fedex has some good history with the 727. It was probably one of the largest 727 operators with around 200 in it's fleet. It also took delivery of the last production 727 in 1984.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:30 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

https://www.pagethink.com/v/blog-det...he-Future/11l/

Paul B. is a new pal of mine I met in a local 42 club last year. Looks like he's leading a public outreach meeting in April. Someone should definitely check it out. I'll probably be working, or I would.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
I've been on the Y4 GDL flight a couple of times and it was quite full. Just guessing, but maybe 90%, if not more of the seats were taken - granted, it was thanksgiving time. Anyone have the numbers on hand? I'm curious
Anyway, good to hear they're sustaining service for a little longer!
I took the flight in December. The flight out on Saturday was maybe 40% and the flight back was probably 90% full.

I really hope they keep the flight, I like having a cheap Mexico route from Austin. Granted, I think they could market it better as an easy getaway to Puerto Vallerta (not that I use it for beaches, regardless).

With that said, I am going again in May and booked it through San Antonio since the days it flies in/out of Austin suck. If they moved it to more of a Thursday/Sunday or Friday/Monday route, I think it would get a lot more use.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 5:29 PM

While it is nice having another international flight, this is one I probably will never use. Basically once a week cancels out any use for me.

https://twitter.com/AUStinAirport/st...95325285593090

"From zip lining, snorkeling, and relaxing on white sand beaches, @VacationExpress has your ticket to paradise. Nonstop services to Punta Cana from @AUStinairport begin on May 28 and run through Aug. 6. #flyAustin http://bit.ly/2GuJkKT "

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 5:43 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschwab View Post
While it is nice having another international flight, this is one I probably will never use. Basically once a week cancels out any use for me.

https://twitter.com/AUStinAirport/st...95325285593090

"From zip lining, snorkeling, and relaxing on white sand beaches, @VacationExpress has your ticket to paradise. Nonstop services to Punta Cana from @AUStinairport begin on May 28 and run through Aug. 6. #flyAustin http://bit.ly/2GuJkKT "
7 day vacation on the beach isn't so bad.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 10:40 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Well I sent a question through Twitter to Condor and ABIA's tweet about resuming Condor service soon. My question was regarding some rumors about Condor possibly expanding service to year round in 2019. Condor responded in an ambiguous way.

"No Austin flights for early 2019. Summer flight plan isn't finalized yet "

Well okay but I asked if they were considering expanding to year round service in 2019, not if they were planning to start service at the beginning of 2019, so my take away (and maybe I'm wrong) is that they left the door open for future year around service without specifically saying anything. I would assume that if they plan to begin year around service it would occure with simply expanding summer service year round rather that starting at the beginning of the year. Still I think it's safe to say that it might be a little longer than another year or two. Maybe 2020-2021 but will see.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 10:49 PM
Resident Moron

As someone who has to travel to Essen, Germany annually a direct to AMS or FRA would be *really* swell if they could just speed that up.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 12:58 AM

R

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:05 PM
Resident Moron

Question:

Is there any plan to not have traffic exiting the airport have to sit through a traffic light? 90% of traffic is going to be heading West on 71 and 90% of the traffic heading West on 71 at that ramp is leaving the airport.

Seems like a sub-grade 2-lane ramp that dumps you onto Westbound 71 is in order.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Question:

Is there any plan to not have traffic exiting the airport have to sit through a traffic light? 90% of traffic is going to be heading West on 71 and 90% of the traffic heading West on 71 at that ramp is leaving the airport.

Seems like a sub-grade 2-lane ramp that dumps you onto Westbound 71 is in order.
Seems like a perfect place to build a toll tunnel!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Question:

Def needed! There is always a backup at that light... at peak times it is severe. Only going to get worse.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Question:

IIRC, the 2014 rail/road bond would have built a ramp from 71 to Pres Blvd. for some reason bypassing the traffic light. It would have also done some work at the Riverside/ 183 interchange which I believe would be to acomidate a future extension of that light rail line from Grove to the Airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
That’s super interesting. Thanks for posting. So all of the businesses need to be aviation themed. I wonder who would be interested in aviation related warehouses.

Last edited by freerover; Feb 27, 2018 at 8:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 10:33 PM

T

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
This is from the old master plan and gives some perspective of what might be built. It's a huge chunk of land and has a footprint larger than the terminal apron. Something is probably in the works thus the RFI. Since the airport opened this is the first RFI that I'm aware of for the location.

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...Chp7_Part1.pdf
What is “aviation related retail”? (I’m having an image of a Simpsons-style animated business named “Fast Eddie’s Discount Airplane Tires”)

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:14 AM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
This is from the old master plan and gives some perspective of what might be built. It's a huge chunk of land and has a footprint larger than the terminal apron. Something is probably in the works thus the RFI. Since the airport opened this is the first RFI that I'm aware of for the location.

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...Chp7_Part1.pdf
So what you are saying is Amazon HQ2 confirmed and Amazon builds out the West cargo area for it's operation right!

Ugh, I can't wait to actually hear all this news Austin1971! Got any more tidbits for us?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 3:38 AM

It actually made me wonder if it was part of Delta’s expansion — maybe a place to repair/fuel/stage aircraft? Or maybe a FedEx or UPS shipping terminal? As imagined in the docs Austin1971 links to, its a pretty big facility, whatever it is.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 6:41 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Whoa, that future cargo area is ginormous! Is such a large cargo addition typical for our projected growth or do airport planners know something that we don't? What is the reasoning behind planning for that much cargo?

Okay so this is actually the old plan. Still I'm suprised about the amount of cargo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin