HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:58 PM

Building permits were filed Monday for multiple new townhomes near Lindbergh (on Broadview Pl / Broadview Ter):

Anyway, I apologize for calling you a troll, Atlanta3000. You are not a troll. While you are obviously free to express your opinions, in my opinion the way you go about it is detrimental to this forum and often consists of direct personal attacks. There are numerous examples. Even when proven wrong (like when you insisted Underground Atlanta plans call for thousands of underground parking spots) you never correct yourself and continue to insult the intelligence of other forumers. Reminds me of why I stopped looking at the citydata forums.

Last edited by shivtim; Apr 27, 2017 at 12:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:05 PM

Soooo, changing the subject...Looks like the crane at the Moxy site is ready to go up. Any updates on the Alzheimer's building redo into apratments?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
Soooo, changing the subject...Looks like the crane at the Moxy site is ready to go up. Any updates on the Alzheimer's building redo into apratments?
If you're talking about the Arthritis Foundation building that one died ages ago--

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
If you're talking about the Arthritis Foundation building that one died ages ago--
I think they mean the one at tenth and juniper.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 8:40 PM

A few construction updates on projects in O4W and Midtown I took. All taken on 4/25.

Square at Glen Iris rowhouses

Ralph McGill/Glen Iris apartments

Anthem on Ashley

North & Line

Alta at the Park

Peachtree and Third(Lilli)

NCR HQ Both Phases and Modera Midtown

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 9:39 PM

Great updates, Ant, thanks. Liking those rowhouses, and NCR's glass looks great. If only it were twice the height...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 2:17 AM

OPUS Pre Sales center is looking great at night time.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 12:33 PM

Three adjacent buildings on Prior street in SW downtown are being converted into 41 apartments. Here's a picture of the initial unmasking of the pre-1940s facade of the central of the three buildings, courtesy of Southdowntown.org:

Photos of the corner building from ATL Urbanist:

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 1:17 PM
Development Spectator

Time for a forum meet-up.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 6:44 PM

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 7:41 PM

Update

Great update Ant. NCR glass looks great...that area has changed so much over the past 5 years. Just wait until CODA, The Standard and Alexan 880 are also complete...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Great updates, Ant, thanks. Liking those rowhouses, and NCR's glass looks great. If only it were twice the height...
Agreed! Very nice photos.

Speaking of glass, I was coming down GA400 the other day and noticed that Three Alliance tower. I forget what they are calling this effect, but to me it simply looked like many of the windows were missing their glass (like after a tornado has come through).

Maybe I was looking at it the wrong way.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Agreed! Very nice photos.

Speaking of glass, I was coming down GA400 the other day and noticed that Three Alliance tower. I forget what they are calling this effect, but to me it simply looked like many of the windows were missing their glass (like after a tornado has come through).

Maybe I was looking at it the wrong way.

I think they were trying to go for sprarkling effects like diamonds are embedded in the building...good in idea, meh in execution.

Bisnow calls it a "glass curtain wall system".

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 10:25 PM

Three Alliance Center's glass effect was supposed to be "shimmering." Similar to glinting or sparkle. I assume the light has to hit it just right to do so. I don't understand why so many people hate this building. I really like it. It's an innovation and people still don't appreciate it. Everyone seems to complain about architectural quality but when something different is done they still complain.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Bisnow calls it a "glass curtain wall system".
"Curtain wall" just means the walls aren't structural, the slabs are supported by columns and everything else is cosmetic--that's nearly universal for modern highrises, which is why you see them go up as a stack of slabs and then the facade is installed later. I've seen the Three Alliance described as "faceted," and that's more unique.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaden View Post
Three Alliance Center's glass effect was supposed to be "shimmering." Similar to glinting or sparkle. I assume the light has to hit it just right to do so. I don't understand why so many people hate this building. I really like it. It's an innovation and people still don't appreciate it. Everyone seems to complain about architectural quality but when something different is done they still complain.
Amen!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Oh, the building looks great, as does the whole complex. That's just not how I was expecting the glass to turn out.

It was the middle of the day when I saw it and the sun was beaming straight in, so the effect might be different when the sun hits at an angle.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Agreed, I find the building very visually appealing and don't seem to have the confusion with the glass others have.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
Agreed, I find the building very visually appealing and don't seem to have the confusion with the glass others have.
One of the best highrises in the City--

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
"Curtain wall" just means the walls aren't structural, the slabs are supported by columns and everything else is cosmetic--that's nearly universal for modern highrises, which is why you see them go up as a stack of slabs and then the facade is installed later. I've seen the Three Alliance described as "faceted," and that's more unique.
Every glass highrise in the city has a curtainwall system-- The system is separate from the buiding's frame structure-- but is a structural glass system-- it holds itself up (as opposed to storefront which always sits and is supported by the building's structural system).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations