HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
Has anyone been able to catch a picture of the night time lighting on the Confluence?
I would hope so. What I saw (even though it was only a handful of the first few floors) looked pretty slick. It's on both sides of the building (not just the side facing I-25. The colors were pretty vivid and changed from purple to blue. I can imagine seeing it up the entire building will make for amazing new nighttime postcards of the Denver skyline. I was impressed....

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:24 AM

I missed my chance to take a picture tonight but if it is back on tomorrow night I will! It was bright red tonight going up the whole building. It was also extremely vivid!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:21 PM

Amazon HQ2:

For what's it worth, Denver makes the "cut" of Top 20 (!!!) Cities.

Weird process. Why cut to 20 cities? That's like the Broncos reviewing all options at QB and saying they are down to their final 20. So what? (Though any cities that thought they were a serious candidate and didn't make the Top 20 have to be bummed).

Anyways, wake us up when there's real news.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...118-story.html

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:21 PM
sidewalkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
Got a question-is that self storage building 6 floors that's near where the Park Avenue and Walnut Street viaduct meet? I noticed it in the background pic on Denverinfill on the latest pic looking north from in back of Union Station-the building actually looks good and has brick.
It does have brick, which is nice considering it's a self storage building. But I assume you're referring to the one on Park and Wewatta ramp. There is no Walnut street viaduct.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Amazon HQ2:

Weird process. Why cut to 20 cities? That's like the Broncos reviewing all options at QB and saying they are down to their final 20. So what? (Though any cities that thought they were a serious candidate and didn't make the Top 20 have to be bummed).

Well they did have 200+ submissions, so it was a quick and easy way of telling podunk, Georgia to pack up and go back home.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:34 PM
cities|transit|croissants

The pessimistic view is that it also might push some of those 20 cities to offer even more insane tax incentives, if they can sniff potential victory.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
Well they did have 200+ submissions, so it was a quick and easy way of telling podunk, Georgia to pack up and go back home.
Sure, they had 200 submissions, but anyone who read the RFP could (and many in the media did) quickly eliminate all except for about 20 or fewer cities.

The whole process seems contrived and postured. Are they really considering 20 cities? Or it is a combination of a "PR game" (oooh, so many WONDERFUL cities to chose from, we LOVE you all) and a "stalking horse" strategy to pressure the "real" 2 or 3 cities on which they've focused their interest.

If you are at Amazon with responsibility for this project, read your own damn RFP, know the corporate culture, know what's most important for Amazon, and know what your marching orders are from Bezos, then you are a complete idiot if you can't quickly get your choices down to 3-5 cities.

I suspect that's been done, and this is all a big drama queen show by Bezos and Amazon to solicit ever more groveling (and positive publicity about the glories of Amazon) from all of the candidates before they get down to business with a very small number of serious targets.

Also: it wouldn't' surprise me if Amazon said, after all the proposals, that "we've changed our mind", we've decided to split Hq2 between 2 or 3 cities. This actually makes more sense in my view - putting that many jobs and investments in a single city (unless it's Chicago, NY or LA), will just drive up your own costs and re-create the problem that caused Amazon to look beyond Seattle in the first instance.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:14 PM

My cynical assumption about AHQ2 is that they've known all along where they want to relocate, they've just been playing cities against each other to see if they can get an even sweeter deal.

Further, they had just about every city and metropolitan area in the United States send them tons of demographic information, real estate development information, and other significant data in nice, concise packages (in the form of RFP responses). How much is that data worth to Amazon? Now they have a full picture of just about every city in the United States, written by the Mayors, Economic Development Offices and regional consortium groups representing them.

All that data has to be worth millions to them. Think how much free labor they received rather than doing all that data compilation themselves.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:32 PM

The whole process of the local and state governments bending over backwards for a private entity is nauseating, jobs or not.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:39 PM

If Amazon were hypothetically to move here and construct a +50 floor office tower downtown, not saying that either of these possibilities are super likely, which lot or general area would you like to such a tower constructed? My vote would be for the lot at 17th and Welton.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Amazon HQ2:

I think this announcement was sped up when Apple surprised everyone with thier own new campus announcement yesterday.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:19 PM

If they do come here, my vote is either a sprawled out campus down by Elitch's /Pepsi or a dense cluster of towers near the sea of parking lots at 19th/broadway. Yes, they could always go down to DTC or out by Interlocken in Broomfield. However, it would seem to go against Amazon's culture to have a sprawled out campus in the burbs.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:39 PM

I think that the 19th/Broadway area would be pretty ideal. It is a block away from the light rail and those lots are right in the heart of the Central Business District. Towers in that area would create a lot of density being so close to the Cash Register building, Republic Plaza, and 1801 California.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:56 PM

My guess is that Amazon will pick Washington for its HQ2 because 2 of its 20 finalists are in the DC metro area. I like the idea of them spreading it’s additional headquarters over 2-3 cities. Spreading the wealth without causing as much of negative impact on any one city.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
My guess is that Amazon will pick Washington for its HQ2 because 2 of its 20 finalists are in the DC metro area. I like the idea of them spreading it’s additional headquarters over 2-3 cities. Spreading the wealth without causing as much of negative impact on any one city.
3 of the finalists actually. DC, NoVa, and Montgomery County MD (where Bethesda and Rockville are).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
Washington DC or Boston for HQ2. Denver for a Mountain West regional satellite office with ~5k employees is fine with me. Where does Apple end up going? Will Google do the same thing and if so do we have a better chance with the existing Boulder office?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 10:39 PM

How much presence does Amazon currently have in Denver?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:33 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
How much presence does Amazon currently have in Denver?
They have a giant facility in Aurora at the moment.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:45 PM

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
They have a giant facility in Aurora at the moment.
They are also building the huge facility in Thornton. Plus they have engineers and IT folks in Broomfield, at the WeWorks downtown, and DTC. Not sure of the total numbers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West