HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 6:42 PM
BANNED

pdxf, one other thing...

I looked at the blog and I noticed that if you click on the blue writing it is a link to many of the sources you wanted cited.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanpdx View Post
pdxf, one other thing...

I looked at the blog and I noticed that if you click on the blue writing it is a link to many of the sources you wanted cited.
Thanks, I missed that, I'll go take a look.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 6:50 PM

A Libertarian, is a neoconservative who is too ashamed to call himself a Republican anymore due to their astounding fiscal irresponsibility and corruption.

If Libertarians had their way, we'd take down all stop signs, stoplights, and sewer systems as 'unwarranted government interference' in our lives. We'd have to pay per call for police protection and ambulance service, and without a credit card, no service. Fact is, the emergence of megacompanies, oligopolies, unfettered business corruption, and concentration of wealth, caused the imbalances which directly led to Herbert Hoover's Great Depression. And FDR's progressive polices and moderate regulation are what recovered our economy and in fact built this nation to greatness.

But concentration of wealth today is far worse than the 34% in the hands of the top 5% right before the Crash. Did you know that today the wealthiest 5% of Americans own 60% of the nation's wealth? And that the bottom 40% of Americans own just 0.3%? This is a very imbalanced and unstable situation.

It is a fact that the strong always use their strength to crush the weaker, to eliminate competition rather than foster it. The strong become stronger, until we reach the only possible mathematical outcome, where you depend for your job, your car, your house, your food, your news, your entertainment, your life, on one or two ultracorporations. Piss off WalmartExxxonFluorMicrosoftGMUSATodayKKRSony, and your life is over.

Libertarianism is caveman economics, and we had advanced far beyond this although we have now significantly regressed. Sure Libertarianism's simple and easy to understand, but it is not what built our nation. Every single other developed nation in the world can afford to give all their citizens free university for the motivated, free medical care, and a dignified retirement for their seniors, and still often run a budget surplus. Yet our 'rich nation' can't afford this?!

Libertarianism is a dangerous philosophy in an advanced world economy. Bond is not going to like my cynicism, but conservatives comprise some of the very top 1% in wealth plus most of the vast lower working-class in this nation. The welders, the factory workers, the truck drivers are conservative, and they are the ones who loudest proclaim the rich should get more tax cuts, to give people the impression that they are amongst the rich. Here's a clue UrbanPDX: the wealthy learned a long time ago to NOT publicly advocate in their own radical self-interest, as it pisses everybody else off. This is why I know you are lower working-class.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 9:49 PM

Yep, once again it looks like Urbanpdx 'didn't see' my post about Libertarianism, and so is 'unable to respond'. Hmm.

It's surely not that it challenges his rigid orthodoxy, and calls into question his whole world-view...

Nah.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 11:11 PM
BANNED

you cited "the Onion" as your source!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 11:26 PM

Eh no, I included Onion references, to entertain others and for derisive purposes. I did the heavy-lifting myself.

Well, at least you admit you saw my thesis. Do you have the horsepower or courage to address the points I make?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 11:28 PM
BANNED

It is all so outrageous I wouldn't even know where to start. I guess you win.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 1:56 AM

Quote:
It is all so outrageous I wouldn't even know where to start. I guess you win.
Too bad Dr Smoke had to sink to your level to "win".

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 2:48 AM

Totally of subject, but Jack Bog, that old crusty dog that hates everything that's happen in Portland, just banned me from his site. I simply said that Portland should be thankfull for such a low murder rate (13 all last year) and his article was misleading, and then bam! BANNED.

It's my first time being banned!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 4:34 AM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Just so I understand, we need planning so liberal radio talk shows that few people want to listen to will still be on the air?
We educated and highly paid liberal professionals are too busy working to have time for daytime talk radio.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 6:19 AM
BANNED

The Tom Leykis show is very highly rated and he is not conservative at all.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 2:51 PM

Quote:
It is all so outrageous I wouldn't even know where to start.
Translation: "STOP MAKING SENSE!!"

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 5:27 PM
Karma Police

Exactly, Dr Smoke. Logic is an alternate universe for them.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 5:51 PM
BANNED

It is not logic, it is just BS. I don't think this is the right place to argue religion and it would take quite a bit of reading to teach someone Econ 201.

Perhaps I could suggest a book. Try reading Economics in One Lesson by: Henry Hazlitt or Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Freedman. They are not difficult reads and give a pretty good overview of common myths like the ones in your posts. Economics is really a science and thus has real facts, not just opinions.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 6:13 PM

Hey UrbanPDX, I did end up posting that response to the Antiplanner website. But it doesn't look like he has addressed it yet. I of course would like to hear your response as well.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 6:27 PM

Urbanpdx has invoked the classical conservative defense mechanism: Denial and Denigration.

Rather than address these points, he glosses over it all, pretending it doesn't exist, and that it's not true anyway if it does. Just one look at conservative blogs, shows reasonable people that they trade mostly in filth, and I'm surprised Urbanpdx hasn't laid some on us yet.

Well, I am confident that most people here understand what I was talking about in my Libertarian post, and so my purpose is served.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 11:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxf View Post
Hey UrbanPDX, I did end up posting that response to the Antiplanner website. But it doesn't look like he has addressed it yet. I of course would like to hear your response as well.
he answered it

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 5:16 PM
BANNED

PDXF, nice posts on the Antiplanner blog. I think the dialog there has been good so far. I registered but when I tried to post I could not log on. Hopefully they will get the bugs out soon.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 5:24 PM

Quote:
PDXF, nice posts on the Antiplanner blog. I think the dialog there has been good so far. I registered but when I tried to post I could not log on. Hopefully they will get the bugs out soon.
Thanks, I think the dialog has been good as well. I have had a hard time at time logging in as well, it appears as though both fields (login, user name) are case-sensative, and it will report that your password is wrong when in reality your user name is (in my case, all caps).

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 12:58 AM
BANNED

PDXF, I still have not figured the log-in out but the discourse is very interesting! You and that "Dan" guy have really helped even things out. I wish a few more of the guys here would comment on Randall's posts. I'm not too sure that the other anti-planning people posting are very helpful though, maybe I'll get into it soon.

The research on rail transit and the posts on planning in general seem the most interesting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues