HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullymon54 View Post
I've seen Shibley speak on many occasions and you would do well to bring a pen and paper, the man is a walking politically correct term machine. He comes up with the most convoluted and soft ball ways to say things, that being said he does have a lot of good ideas for the city.
amen. took a course with him. he said he has a major in psychology to go along w. his architecture degree...that would explain his constantly cheesy rhetoric. as a planner you gotta soothe the masses ya know.

i can't tell you how many different articles ive read in which he says the exact. same. thing.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 1:32 AM

Okay, whats with the Buffalo News lately?

Vision for downtown goes underground Study addresses parking issues

Planners have proposed building a parking ramp under Niagara Square.
Imagine a sprawling underground parking ramp buried beneath the McKinley Monument in Niagara Square.

Or a similar subterranean ramp nestled beneath North and South Division streets near the Erie Community College City Campus.

The idea, planners say, is to place parked cars underground, in spots that can’t be put to more valuable and aesthetic uses, reducing the number of surface lots that dot the central business district.

These are just two concepts advanced in a new study that aims to create a long-term vision for downtown. The $60,000 study was financed by British developer Bashar Issa — owner of the Statler Towers — and by Empire State Development Corp., the state’s main development agency.

Another idea that even some planners admit could be a stretch, includes a new plan for the Niagara Section of the Thruway, which currently cuts off downtown from the waterfront. The study suggests making the I-190 a grade-level highway for cars, with a tunnel for truck traffic snaking beneath it.

Planners met with nearly 20 local leaders Friday to unveil the Buffalo Urban Design Plan, a six-month review that built on many themes advanced in previous studies.

Billed as a “work-in-progress,” the study prepared by Cannon Design hits on planning issues that range from regulating the heights of future buildings, to fostering the creation of more downtown green space.

But one of the key focus points involves hatching a longterm parking plan to accommodate what Issa and others believe will be significant growth in the downtown corridor.

Underground parking facilities at Niagara Square and near the ECC Campus were among the conceptual drawings that Harry L. Warren, design principal at Cannon, presented to Mayor Byron W. Brown and other local leaders.

The plan proposes demolishing one parking ramp adjacent to City Hall. While soil and rock issues would make it difficult to create more than three tiers of underground parking, the two facilities might be able to accommodate about 2,000 vehicles, Warren said.

Building underground parking can be up to twice as expensive as above-ground ramps, said Debra Chernoff, Buffalo Place’s manager of planning. But such costs can be offset by developing parcels that are being underutilized as parking lots, Chernoff and Warren said.

“That land is so much more valuable,” Warren said. “Surface [parking] lots become tears in the fabric of the city.”

The new study reiterates what many other studies and planners nationwide have asserted, Brown said.

Issa is “very interested” in pursuing land rights to develop underground parking structures in the downtown core, Warren said.

“He’s done the same kind of development in Manchester [England],” Warren added.

Issa could not attend Friday’s briefing, as he was in Cairo, Egypt.

The study borrows many concepts that have been successful in cities such as Toronto, Chicago and San Francisco, planners said. For example, Toronto has extensive underground parking in its downtown core.

Brown said that while some of the recommendations are “ambitious,” Buffalo needs to prepare for what he believes will be dramatic development.

Based on building permits, construction documents and blueprints, downtown Buffalo is expected to see more than $1.2 billion in new buildings. One such project involves Issa’s proposal for a 40-story mixeduse tower at the corner of South Elmwood Avenue and West Mohawk Street — the tallest, and at $361 million, the most expensive single structure ever proposed in the city.

No cost estimates are included for proposals contained in the new study. Warren stressed it could take years — or in some cases even decades — to achieve many of the objectives. But Buffalo Place Executive Director Michael Schmand left the meeting saying there’s nothing wrong with thinking big.

“You have to raise the bar and reach for it,” Schmand said. “If you don’t, you’re in trouble.”

Realty USA’s George W. Hamberger is a commercial real estate broker who has focused on downtown development for nearly two decades and is working with Issa on his local projects. Hamberger said the challenge now is to decide what short-term steps need to be taken to achieve the desired long-term results.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 11:26 PM

am&a's was being gutted out today it looked like
http://allthingsbuffalo.wnymedia.net...3/amas-102207/

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 2:38 AM

UPDATE: So much for that… turns out that the materials being removed were what Taylor was supposed to have out before selling the building. No redevelopment plans have submitted to City Hall either. However, New Horizons has brought on another developer as a consultant though. (Info courtesy of WCP)

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 5:05 PM
welcome to the madness

The Buffalo News reports this is still on the table:

Iskalo weighs new downtown building

Is this for real or not?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 4:10 PM

^^It would be nice. There are a few surface parking lots in between Main Place and HSBC towers. A 20-30 story tower there would fill in a HUGE gap in the skyline. And being right in the middle of HSBC, M&T, Key, Main Place and right on main st this would be a great location for an apartment tower for young professionals working there. But that’s just my opinion. Or how about putting in some infill near the renovated Webb. There are surface lots to the left and right of that great structure and the Dunn is on the corner. We could have some great density there if someone had the imagination. But don’t take all my ideas, I need a few for when I’m a developer in 20 years

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 4:20 PM

^^ one of those surface parking lots i was talking about used to be a cigar store or somthing. But any ways its right next to Dunn Tire Park too. Talk about a great view. And its near ECC city... professors could live there. Here is a shot:

Or across the street form HSBC

And dont even get me started on this mess

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 7:11 PM

This was also the first area i thought of, but more based on its impact to the skyline then anything. It would be a different niche for Iskalo and im not sure how adventagious one area is from the next. There are enough of them!
Though i know that i like the idea of building off of the 500 project. A tower near that area could capitalize tremendously if it found the right space in between buildings. There is already enough density that adding to its character might really increase the interest and value.

some where between Huron and mohawk, put something that is going to rise above the hyatt.
It might not change the skyline but it would drastically improve the core. hsbc will find its match some day.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 8:05 PM

Hey just a side note, new bar coming to the coblestone district.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 11:43 PM
Great White Norf

There certainly are plenty of (gasp dare I say it) "shovel ready" sites downtown!
My quick calculations from the Buffalo Place Publicly Available Parking list (updated 02/06) shows an estimated 17,773 publicly available parking spots downtown. surely Iskalo could find a suitable site somewhere in the CBD.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
There certainly are plenty of (gasp dare I say it) "shovel ready" sites downtown!
My quick calculations from the Buffalo Place Publicly Available Parking list (updated 02/06) shows an estimated 17,773 publicly available parking spots downtown. surely Iskalo could find a suitable site somewhere in the CBD.
Here's my wish-list of locations for their project:
-west side of 700 block where Schmidt and Vernor bldgs. stood
-east side of Delaware north of Statler
-convention center ramp site behind Hyatt

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
Here's my wish-list of locations for their project:
-west side of 700 block where Schmidt and Vernor bldgs. stood
-east side of Delaware north of Statler
-convention center ramp site behind Hyatt
Yes that ENORMOUS surface lot north of the Statler near that mansion that’s being fixed up is pretty bad. The lot by Hyatt is pretty hideous too but with that large of an area it would be a bit of a waste of land if the project was less than 35-stories. Then again look what’s there now.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 6:10 PM

Midtown office building proposed
from buffalorising.com
http://www.buffalorising.com/story/m...ing_propos#sca
I dont think we will hear from the preservationsits on this one lol

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 3:42 PM

This is why Buffalo goes NOWHERE

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy064 View Post

Hey- That's copywritten!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 11:11 PM

I would have to agree with steel's sentiments on the subject, this suit would appear to be entirely fruitless. From all outward appearances it has absolutely no merit and will hopefully be thrown out as fast as the one against the art gallery was.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 11:12 PM
Trendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
Hey- That's copywritten!
Then disable the ability to right click, save-as.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy064 View Post
Well, lets see, my aunt P, the most likely ring leader of these "keep Buffalo buried" projects has gone to the land of Buffalo's past at the age of 96, uncle Bob wont be leaving the nursing home at 75. All we have to do is wait the rest of them out 7 to 10 years. Wait, u dont think this will go on that long do ya?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halovet View Post
Well, lets see, my aunt P, the most likely ring leader of these "keep Buffalo buried" projects has gone to the land of Buffalo's past at the age of 96, uncle Bob wont be leaving the nursing home at 75. All we have to do is wait the rest of them out 7 to 10 years. Wait, u dont think this will go on that long do ya?

Oh, there's another generation behind them- as most people age, they get more cranky and unwelcome any kind of change.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:15 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

A scandal is brewin!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations