HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 8:53 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Ahh I see Policy Wonk is back. Just like Redd Foxx is back on C2E.

Anyways, hyperventlating a side, I think Policy Wonk misses some points his self. I think most could care less if someone sets up a small GA airport west of the city. The purpose of that airport couldn't be used as a potential threat against YEG, unlike YXD was. YXD threat was turning Edmonton into just a feeder route to Calgarys international. Having two competing airports would kill one or the other (YXD or YEG), and YEG is the better airport for national and international flights. Some of the players involved with YXD wanted it to compete with YEG for scheduled services, and will fight until the last possible moment in order to restore YXD to its former limited self.
The other point about YXD is that there is a much better use for the land in the middle of the city. YXD could never live up to its full potential, as its hemmed in from all sides. It was time to shut it down.
I suspect among the general public the interest level will be roughly the same as the debate over YXD. To say absolutely none at all. Among other elements I suspect it will be upsetting.

YXD was not competing against anything post-consolidation. There was only one player and that was the ERAA. They answer to nobody except WestJet and are swayed by nobody except WestJet. The ERAA couldn't stomach 10-seaters flying to YYC FBO's. The idea that they would ever entertain any proposal that would tangibly negatively affect YEG is ridiculous.

YXD could be closed in a year or maybe a few more. I'm frankly surprised it is still open at all. Those who are still there remain only because they have nowhere to go and that is the issue that remains and that is the issue that seems to be most misunderstood.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 10:15 PM

And in other news....

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 10:16 PM

Deleted.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 2:01 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

City airport expropriation relaunched by councillors
Conflicts of interest stalled process in December, January

Edmonton Journal

Thursday, February 21, 2013

City council voted Wednesday to restart expropriation efforts at City Centre Airport, one step toward closing the facility and building a neighbourhood.

The city's first expropriation bid ground to a halt in December after lawyers for the companies leasing space at the airport took the city to court...

estolte@edmontonjournal.com

twitter.com/estolte
© Edmonton Journal 2013

Copyright © 2013 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...1bf79&sponsor=

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 2:07 PM

Good to see this move forward, not a surprise to see these three voting it down. Does Diotte only have a "no" vote button lol?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 4:32 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 4:42 AM

http://www.630ched.com/news/edmonton...spx?ID=2013630

Quote:
City wins court case over aviation companies
4:15pm
Click here to email Scott Johnston
7/26/2013

The city has won a court battle defeating an attempt by three aviation companies to stop the conversion of the City Centre Airport.

Led by the Edmonton Flying Club, the attempt was to prove that the city was acting in bad faith.

However the judge's ruling sided with the city, saying it was clear what the intention was, and the city was within its rights to go through the legal city council process of creating an area structure plan for what is now Blatchford.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 6:00 AM
Contôleur aérien YYC

Wow. Nice to hear that the chapter now appears closed and things can hopefully move forward... Enough referendums, plebiscites, etc. all things co$ting public moolah. Let's get moving!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 2:29 PM

Yeah, this was the big lawsuit. It appears that the city can now start sending out notices to business on the site.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 4:09 PM

I really hope the city doesnt end up just selling off small tracts of land to developers. the last thing this city needs is another millwoods or terwillager. Hopefully they're smart enough to put in some high density residential.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 4:21 PM
Community Guy

^should be a diverse group of developers, but with requirements/standards/specs to a minimum desired outcome.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 4:30 PM

Yeah I just hope the City puts in strict enough building Requirements. Especially in terms of density.

Last edited by seamusmcduffs; Jul 31, 2013 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 3:56 PM

YXD slated to close in November, Villeneuve updates to finish in Feb:

http://www.630ched.com/2013/09/04/no...entre-airport/

Quote:
It’s not completely official, but there is a date the city is working towards to wrap up aviation activity at City Centre. November 15 has emerged as a target.

“The city still hasn’t set a final date for final closure but November 15 is when my understanding is when the city wants to be able to assume the ownership of all the land that’s there so people will have to be moved out by then,” said Reg Milley, president and chief executive of Edmonton International Airport.

“There’s very little left there right now.”

When it’s time to make hard and fast the eviction notices, city council will do that in an ‘in-private’ meeting. They got permission in court when a judge sided with the city in a suit brought against it over what they consider the airport’s premature closure.

Meanwhile work started this spring on upgrading Villeneuve, and Milley reports the finish line on that project is in sight.

“We’re extending the runway, we’re putting in an ILS (instrument landing) system.” Work continues with Nav-Canada to finalize publication of the changes. “It’ll be a great alternate airport. It’ll be able to take larger aircraft. We’re looking at late January or early February.”

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 4:34 PM

and its about time!!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 5:00 PM

Heard from a pilot I was flying with yesterday that Airco got their eviction notice for October. Apparently they have a new location already.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Heard from a pilot I was flying with yesterday that Airco got their eviction notice for October. Apparently they have a new location already.
Zero support from the Municipality that the land is part of or public to the proposed Parkland Airport. I doubt it will be ready in any event come November lol... They simply should have used EIA or Villeneuve and be done with the hissy fit shite. Some of these backers are going to pay twice to relocate etc. Glad its not my money investing

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Some+...651/story.html

http://www.sprucegroveexaminer.com/2...g-spruce-grove

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 7:59 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
They simply should have used EIA or Villeneuve and be done with the hissy fit shite.[/url]
Well, neither was really an option.

The issues that have bedeviled Villeneuve are further from a resolution today than they have ever been and the improvements to serve as a medevac alternate don't really address any of them, everyone for whom YEG was a practical alternative has already moved there.

Those who remained at YXD after the ERAA's campaign of harassment against it's users remained there only because they had nowhere else to go. How are they to be faulted for taking control of their own destiny when the regional airport operator has demonstrated nothing but belligerent indifference for their entire history?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 8:10 PM

I was wondering when it would finally close. The place is pretty much dead already - I live about 20 blocks from that airport, and I hardly hear planes at all anymore, and just a few years ago the noise of air traffic was constant.

This new-found silence is fantastic!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Zero support from the Municipality that the land is part of or public to the proposed Parkland Airport. I doubt it will be ready in any event come November lol... They simply should have used EIA or Villeneuve and be done with the hissy fit shite. Some of these backers are going to pay twice to relocate etc. Glad its not my money investing

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Some+...651/story.html

http://www.sprucegroveexaminer.com/2...g-spruce-grove
There was a recent court case and municipalities have no power over stopping new airports from being built.
http://www.younganderson.ca/publicat...ulations-inapp

Quote:
Supreme Court of Canada Finds Private Airport Zoning Regulations Inapplicable

In two cases released on October 15, 2010, Quebec v. Lacombe, 2010 SCC 38 and Quebec v. Canadian Owners and Pilots Association (COPA), 2010 SCC 39, the Supreme Court of Canada has affirmed an interpretation of our Constitution that exclusively reserves regulation of the location of all airfields, no matter how small, to the federal government.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 3:37 AM
Urbis Maximus

^So does that mean a municipality has to grant an applicant a rezoning if they have received approval from Transportation Canada to develop an airport?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton