HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 5:53 AM

I noticed that the ground level retail units at the Calgary Board of Education buliding says Fully leased. Anyone heard what will be going in there?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stophs View Post
I noticed that the ground level retail units at the Calgary Board of Education buliding says Fully leased. Anyone heard what will be going in there?
Corner unit is a dental clinic. Haven't heard about any of the others.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
That seems much too small to really become a destination, which was the plight of Eau Claire Market.
Speaking of ECM, what is happening with that site? A browse through CBRE shows space for lease for 5 years. So I guess that means we won't see anything exciting happening there for at least that long?

http://looplink.calgary.cbre.ca/ll/1...lay-Parade-SW/

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
1410 will definitely become a destination patio IMO.
Let's hope this becomes a trend. Calgary needs to use its roofs and there are so many great spots, especially on 17th or Stephen Ave.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Ahead of its time? Eau Claire as it was developed didn't have a time. It was just a catastrophically stupid idea. Things could have been very, very different...
Should have used the term opened to soon. I can see how ahead of its time make is sound like it was a groundbreaking idea.
There weren't enough condos in that area to support a market, now there is.

When it first opened it wasn't that bad, back when it was more like Granville Market.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 10:16 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Lets look back at what you could buy at Eau Claire Market when it opened:

http://simpsonswiki.net/wiki/Itchy_%..._animation_cel

http://www.flaghouse.com/

And stupid hacky sacks made out of balloons stuffed with sesame seeds along with random cultural crap Pier One wouldn't carry.

The farmers market was a bust because vendors couldn't afford the rent.

If you could reboot Eau Claire as it opened in 1993, it would still decisively and immediately flop for the exact same reasons. I don't think Eau Claire Market is beyond redemption - but the place needs to be gutted, the non-retail tenants booted out and a solid anchor tenant recruited. No opportunity like the present... but the original concept - aping Granville was a ridiculous idea and remains one to this day.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 2:35 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:

And stupid hacky sacks made out of balloons stuffed with sesame seeds along with random cultural crap Pier One wouldn't carry.

The farmers market was a bust because vendors couldn't afford the rent.
The mall was crap from the beginning. It was where hippies who couldn't make anything worth selling would try and hawk their crap- hackey sacks and devil sticks included. It might have worked as an actual "market", with a completely open floor and just stall space to rent. That would have kept rents low and allowed farmers and other vendors selling cheap, but necessary goods to operate.

If I owned the building, I would try and time any redevelopment to coincide with the SE LRT station being built adjacent.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 1:34 AM
Inflatable Hippo

I don't think it needs redevelopment, at least not immediately. Just an intensive decrapification and a solid anchor that will attract other quality retailers.

If I were responsible I would do anything to land Target and run almost everyone else out of these as soon as their leases allow.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 4:58 AM
Hare Expert

I'd dump that worthless Golds gym and put the arcade back in. Yeah it probably wouldn't do so well but damn, a giant gym? That doesn't need to be in a mall, no matter how crappy it might be.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
power to the people!

I use that gym! Being a five minute bike ride from home and not super busy, it's perfect for me.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 10:25 PM
not a NIMBY

Ethan Allen has moved out of Mayfair Place so now there is parking when I go to the dentist which was never a problem when I walked over from next door but now I drive but not from next door. It was frustrating that the EA designated stalls were always empty and the designated regular visitor stalls were always full.
I wonder if there is a retail tenant lined up for the space or will it become medical related as has the rest of the commercial space in MP and the 2 adjacent office buildings because of the proximity to Rockyview?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 10:49 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Ethan Allen has moved out of Mayfair Place so now there is parking when I go to the dentist which was never a problem when I walked over from next door but now I drive but not from next door. It was frustrating that the EA designated stalls were always empty and the designated regular visitor stalls were always full.
I wonder if there is a retail tenant lined up for the space or will it become medical related as has the rest of the commercial space in MP and the 2 adjacent office buildings because of the proximity to Rockyview?
Will be Mayfair Diagnostics (MRI clinic)

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 11:38 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Will be Mayfair Diagnostics (MRI clinic)
Thanks for the info, that will be a big expansion of their space. I think medical type offices generate far more traffic than regular offices where people show up in the a.m. and stay for the day.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 3:36 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Thanks for the info, that will be a big expansion of their space. I think medical type offices generate far more traffic than regular offices where people show up in the a.m. and stay for the day.
True, and parking requirements reflect that. Medical is 6.0 stalls/100m2, while office is 2.0 stalls/100m2.

Not as much for MRI clinics (technically "Health Services Laboratory - With Clients"), because the MRI machine takes up so much space and appointments average about 45 minutes. Their requirement is 4.0 stalls/100m2

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 4:14 AM
Realtor

Quote:
I don't think it needs redevelopment, at least not immediately. Just an intensive decrapification and a solid anchor that will attract other quality retailers.

If I were responsible I would do anything to land Target and run almost everyone else out of these as soon as their leases allow.
A Target store there would be awesome.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
A Target store there would be awesome.
Maybe they can put a Giant Tiger in there too. What could be a better to compliment to the nicest park in the city than a K-martesque discount department store.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:26 AM

sears is shutting its dearfoot mall store and nordstorm is opening in Calgary!

Nordstrom pins Canadian push on former Sears locations

The plans come as Sears announced on Wednesday it will close yet another store, at Deerfoot Mall in Calgary.

Upscale Nordstrom plans to launch its first stores here at the Pacific Centre in Vancouver, Chinook Centre in Calgary and Ottawa’s Rideau Centre – whose leases Sears sold back to landlord Cadillac Fairview Corp. this year for $170-million – as well as Sherway Gardens mall in Toronto, industry sources said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4426420/

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:58 AM

Awesome, I love Nordstrom's! A bit more upscale than the Bay, but not as expensive as Holt.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 6:05 AM

With all these high-end and low-budget department stores displacing our old mainstays, where the heck is the middle class supposed to shop these days?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 6:44 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Awesome!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy