HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 6:02 PM

The sad thing is from that view you can see how easy it would have been to build around Las Manitas without losing much space.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 6:22 PM

I gotta say, I miss Las Manitas about the same amount as I miss Jaime's Spanish Village... that is to say, not at all. Austin has lost a lot of sub-par restaurants with "local icon" status recently, like Katz's, etc... and the dining scene certainly hasn't suffered because of it.

As for the Marriott tower, the more slender the better it will look IMO. I guess they really only need it to be the width of 2 hotel rooms anyway. And those downtown blocks are really large, there is quite a bit of volume to this structure with the underground parking and what will be the base structure.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
The sad thing is from that view you can see how easy it would have been to build around Las Manitas without losing much space.
I think Austin is doing fine without Las Manitas.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 7:22 PM

Went to las manitas once and I'm glad to see it go. Food was nothing to be impressed and waitstaff was pathetic. By the way it was the owner who was waiting on us. She seemed like a cunt. Pardon my french.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Austin has lost a lot of sub-par restaurants with "local icon" status recently, like Katz's, etc... and the dining scene certainly hasn't suffered because of it.
It's been a long time, but I remember Katz's. I don't remember their food, but I know I had at milkshake there at like 2am. Weren't they a 24-hour joint?

And maybe the food wasn't great, but I think having a 24-hour diner downtown is a good thing. Not that Austin will be NYC or Las Vegas, but have their been any new 24-hour restaurants to take its place as a go-to restaurant at 2am on a Tuesday?

The JW is looking great, by the way.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsalpha View Post
It's been a long time, but I remember Katz's. I don't remember their food, but I know I had at milkshake there at like 2am. Weren't they a 24-hour joint?

And maybe the food wasn't great, but I think having a 24-hour diner downtown is a good thing. Not that Austin will be NYC or Las Vegas, but have their been any new 24-hour restaurants to take its place as a go-to restaurant at 2am on a Tuesday?

The JW is looking great, by the way.
24 Diner at 6th and Lamar is solid.

PS I'll echo the huge block sentiment. It looks small compared to the block, but how many hotels are wider than 2 rooms long?

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 9:04 PM

5/31

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 10:28 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I tried 24 Diner 3 weeks ago for the first time. I was excited to try their chicken & waffles. It was terrible. I was really disappointed. It was definitely no Roscoe's from LA.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I tried 24 Diner 3 weeks ago for the first time. I was excited to try their chicken & waffles. It was terrible. I was really disappointed. It was definitely no Roscoe's from LA.
24 was fresh and exciting when it first opened. Good ingredients and well prepared, if pricey, comfort foods. Now it is good ingredients with sloppy preparation, and the place is starting to look tired and dirty in some places. Still, it is an improvement over Katz's which had really terrible food. If you factor in the places that are open 24 hours within a short distance from downtown (2 Magnolia Cafes and 3 Kerbey Lane Cafes/ both locally owned and kind of "iconic"), in addition to the usual chain breakfast joints, central Austin is well served with 24 hour eating spots compared to many other US cities. Sorry to go off topic. Maybe the Marriott will have a 24 hour restaurant. It would be a great location for one.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 12:25 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

When it comes to 24 hour service, I usually stick to Whataburger. Hard to go wrong with that.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 5:17 AM

No thanks to 24 Diner (unoriginal name too). It's too pricey (equal to SF prices) and food is mediocre. Magnolia's and Kerbey Lane are both better places by far. I really miss Waterloo Icehouse at that location. Went there so many times. I also miss Waterloo Video Store they used to have at the back before whatever is now there (sport's store?). I watched lots of good movies and bought lots of good movie posters which I still have right now in my room.

Its true that I do miss lots of old local stores from Austin, but at least Austin is getting upgraded with development like this one. And you can't go wrong with that.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 5:49 AM

I just got back from NY a few days ago and I can tell you that we do not have the calibur or quantity of diners, or deli's for that matter than they have there. Btw, the new trade center tower is beautiful and there should be no question that the spire should be included in the official total height.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 6:04 AM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I just got back from NY a few days ago and I can tell you that we do not have the calibur or quantity of diners, or deli's for that matter than they have there. Btw, the new trade center tower is beautiful and there should be no question that the spire should be included in the official total height.
Not even London does IMO. Heh, NYC is a city all on its own in such regards. But for what Austin is, and how small it is, I agree with austlar that Austin is pretty well served for 24 hour joints. There are many cities larger that it is much harder to find something in the early hours.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
I don't miss that restaurant at all...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 9:29 PM

Update 6/7/13

Glass wall in the last pic starting to go up, and the facade on the north side going up too.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 10:53 PM

It certainly is looking good.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
It certainly is looking good.
Agreed. I was looking at the glass sample yesterday. It has a nice blue quality to it that is going to look beautiful with the copper on the building!
Can't wait!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 3:00 PM

A few of the Marriott yesterday:

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 2:05 AM

Today.

One last look at this wall before it gets covered again.

It's starting to be visible from South of the river, this was taken from the 1st Street bridge.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 7:12 AM

Whats up with the angled verticals?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin