HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 1:34 AM

The relocated NLL team is apparently called the Ottawa Black Bears, according to info someone was able to scrape off the CTC website.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 5:33 PM

YOWflier had it right. NLL belongs here.

Now I'm wondering if I should have just created a new thread for it.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 3:07 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa returns to National Lacrosse League as the Black Bears

Tim Baines • Postmedia
Published Feb 21, 2024 • 4 minute read

A bit more than 20 years ago, professional lacrosse came into the nation’s capital with a bang and, after three unsuccessful seasons, the Ottawa Rebel was gone with a thud.

Pro lacrosse in Ottawa died quickly.

This time, they insist, it will be different.

The National Lacrosse League, in partnership with GF Sports and Entertainment and Senators Sports and Entertainment, announced Wednesday the New York Riptide will relocate to Ottawa and will be renamed the Black Bears. The team will begin play for the 2024-25 NLL season.

The Black Bears will become the 15-team NLL’s sixth Canadian franchise, joining the Calgary Roughnecks, Halifax Thunderbirds, Saskatchewan Rush, Toronto Rock and Vancouver Warriors.

GF Sports and Entertainment will maintain ownership and operation of the franchise, which will play all nine regular-season home games at Canadian Tire Centre.

<more>

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/oth...he-black-bears

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 6:12 PM

Although this sounds great, I'm a little worried our sports market may be getting over saturated.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 3:06 PM

What will it take for all of Ottawa's pro sports teams to thrive?

A commitment to winning, community and value are good start, says sports entrepreneur Jeff Hunt

Mario Carlucci · CBC News · Posted: Mar 10, 2024

The number of professional sports teams in Ottawa is growing, and each one is vying for the hearts —and disposable income— of fans.

Ottawa's Professional Women's Hockey League franchise is a fresh new team in the market, boasting the fledgling league's second highest average attendance.

The recently announced Ottawa Black Bears will also mark the return of National Lacrosse League action to Ottawa, after a short-lived stint in the early 2000s.

It has some fans wondering whether this is a mini boom for pro sports here, or is it a delicate balance of potential bankruptcies?

Ottawa's sports history is littered with failed franchises. Remember the Ottawa Rough Riders and Renegades of the Canadian Football League? Baseball's Ottawa Lynx and Ottawa Champions, soccer's Ottawa Fury, and lacrosse's Ottawa Rebel? And of course the original Ottawa Senators, who made their expansion return to the National Hockey League back in 1992.

While there are more than enough defunct sports teams to legitimize those worries, people in positions of influence on Ottawa's current teams, say times have changed.

If a rising tide lifts all boats, two more sports franchises in the city shouldn't be cause for concern, according to Jeff Hunt, former partner in the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, owners of the Ottawa 67's and Ottawa Redblacks, and current strategic partner with the Canadian Premier League's Atletico Ottawa franchise.

"I don't see other teams as my competition," adds Hunt, "we're competing more with Netflix and the couch."

So, can the new teams succeed where others failed? Of course, says Hunt.

Excitement, value and hope keys to success

"I've said this for years, it's not that much different than saying to me, 'Do restaurants work in Ottawa?' I'd say this, good restaurants work in Ottawa."

Restaurants that succeed have great food, great surroundings and great service, he says. And the price has to be in line with what's on the plate.

It's similar for sports teams, says Hunt: the fan experience and playing facilities have to be exciting. The ticket prices and concessions have to be reasonable and good value. The teams need to deliver more wins than losses. And if that isn't happening, fans need to know a plan for winning is in place. That requires hope.

That's something that was for years in short supply for fans of the Ottawa Senators, the preeminent sports franchise in the city and the only one belonging to one of North America's "big four" men's pro sports leagues. During the last few years under late owner Eugene Melnyk attendance slumped as the team struggled, but the arrival of new owner Michael Andlauer has provided a surge of optimism.

"Fans want to back a winner. They want to be proud of their team," says Hunt. For new owners like Andlauer, "there's an initial bump or honeymoon period with new franchises and an element of excitement and novelty but after that you have to start delivering."

Atletico Ottawa president and CEO Fernando Lopez says he knows the city can handle more sports teams. He just needs fans here to embrace his team in this non-traditional soccer market.

Community connection part of soccer strategy

"Just last year we grew in attendance 41 per cent compared with 2022. So we're very happy with the evolution that we have seen, the support that we have seen from the city. I think it's great that two more sports teams are coming to Ottawa," says Lopez.

The team sits second in CPL attendance. And with a city population of about one million, Lopez predicts steady growth as the team builds more community awareness. It's an approach he's borrowing from the Spanish parent club Atletico de Madrid, where he worked before launching Atletico Ottawa.

"Atletico de Madrid is a community based club. It's a social club really focused on developing young players and rooting ties with the community. That's what … we wanted to replicate here. And I'm very grateful to see the response that we're having right now."

Sellout crowds for soccer aren't in the cards yet for Atletico Ottawa. The same holds true for the Ottawa Titans of baseball's Frontier League.

Smaller teams search for niche

Regan Katz, Titans vice president and COO, maintains he doesn't need sellout crowds to be successful. The team's costs are not comparable to those of other professional baseball teams. Moreover, he's had success at it in Winnipeg where he helps run the Goldeyes.

"We picked a format, a calibre of ball that is family friendly and affordable. And we decided to make that our niche for the Ottawa market and it's kind of the same niche we hold in Winnipeg," Katz says.

Another differentiator for the Titans, according to Katz, is their commitment to a "love local" approach.

"Instead of going with the large beer partners we picked all local products," says Katz. The same held true for food partners as well, he says.

The Titans ranked 12th in overall attendance in the Frontier League last season.

Katz would like to see attendance rise from last year's average of 1,500, but not necessarily to sell out all 10,000 seats.

"Ottawa is one of the larger markets in the league so we hope to continue to grow on that … It's a giant facility. It was overbuilt when it was built for the Lynx. It's still oversized for what we're doing."

Katz is also confident the entertainment factor is something that will keep people coming back for more.

"It's an addictive outing … There's nothing quite like a cold beer and a hot hot dog on a summer day," says Katz. "These guys play to win, they play to get noticed. These are athletes following a dream."

Women's hockey a draw

Fans have noticed Ottawa's PWHL team since its inception this autumn. According to recent figures from the league, Ottawa's attendance sits second overall and first among Canada's three teams, which include Toronto and Montreal.

The numbers for women's hockey here, and overall have been better than expected, according to Ottawa assistant coach Hayley Irwin.

"Night one was exciting, it was sold out, during warm up everyone was in their seats. And then you're waiting for the next game hoping it's going to be the same and it has been. So night after night our fans show up. They're loud. They're into it. It fuels our girls and our team."

She believes many sports fans in Ottawa aren't differentiating between men's and women's sports.

"Every single night any team can win and that's going to keep people coming back."

For now, it's a honeymoon period for the PWHL that Hunt has experienced with several of the teams he has owned over the years.

He urges anyone running a new franchise to take the goodwill of the Ottawa marketplace and prove you're committed to the community and to winning. Attendance, then, should take care of itself.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...rive-1.7138764

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation