HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
On another note, I also see no reason why it can't be a Chapters (besides public backlash). If the location is right, these chains can make any space work. Here is a dutch bookstore chain Selexyz, occupying a church built in the 13th century in Maastricht, NL. It's spectacular.
Except Selexyz isn't the same company as Chapters-Indigo. Just because a completely unrelated company on the other side of the planet put a bookstore into a church doesn't mean that C-I has ever or will ever do anything like that. To say nothing of the fact that part of SGR is clearly institutional in nature and not commercial.

It's too bad that the building going up where the Sock It To Ya store used to be is claimed by TD Bank, contextually-speaking that would be a far more appropriate location for a store like that. And before Keith makes some snide cantankerous pseudo-racist remark because Christ forbid I don't equate a Miqmaq presence downtown as an abhorrence to civilization or whatever, there are any number of public-service uses for a building like that that would put it to better use than slapping a hideously ugly CHAPTERS logo across its facade and walking away.

Last edited by CorbeauNoir; Oct 6, 2011 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Except Selexyz isn't the same company as Chapters-Indigo. Just because a completely unrelated company on the other side of the planet put a bookstore into a church doesn't mean that C-I has ever or will ever do anything like that. To say nothing of the fact that part of SGR is clearly institutional in nature and not commercial.

It's too bad that the building going up where the Sock It To Ya store used to be is claimed by TD Bank, contextually-speaking that would be a far more appropriate location for a store like that. And before Keith makes some snide cantankerous pseudo-racist remark because Christ forbid I don't equate a Miqmaq presence downtown as an abhorrence to civilization or whatever, there are any number of public-service uses for a building like that that would put it to better use than slapping a hideously ugly CHAPTERS logo across its facade and walking away.
Selexyz is the Dutch equivalent of Chapters. Same company no, but exactly the same model. These stores even look the same inside (except for a few like this one), same type of branding, colors, etc. And more and more, these types of stores area looking to make inroads into city centres, and have shown that they will do what is necessary - even moving away from their cookiecutter store types and adapting to the environment. Now maybe downtown Halifax isn't a big enough market to force such a change, but I also don't think its impossible. McDonalds has done it for decades in Europe and is starting to more and more in NA, Wal-mart has in West coast cities, etc.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 5:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Actually Vancouver's 1950's-era library was converted into a news studio and Future Shop. Chapters is across the street in a similar building. The old library had a different design that was more similar to a commercial building, however, and I think it had to be heavily renovated to add the big storefront windows, escalators, etc.

Unfortunately I tend to agree that the old library isn't very suited to something like Chapters. The problem is that it is divided into small areas internally and is not very open to the street. It is not as inviting as most commercial buildings and there would probably be a lot of opposition to heavily modifying it. Much of the building's charm is in the interior layout.

Maybe there should be a design competition or something to figure out what to do with the building. I think it will take a lot of creativity to find a good use for it that can be accommodated with renovations that are sympathetic to the original building. Such ideas are not very likely to come from bureaucrats looking for space -- they tend to give us stuff like the dead ground floor level of the former Eatons building.

I worry that the assembly house idea will result in an underused, poorly-maintained building in a prime part of the city. Unfortunately this is one of the problems with the library moving to a new location rather than redeveloping the old site. Easier for them, since they don't have to deal with renos, but it might be worse for the city as a whole.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 9:08 PM

The future of Ottawa’s central library should run through Halifax

By JOANNE CHIANELLO, The Ottawa Citizen October 19, 2011

HALIFAX — When June rolls around, we’ll all want to take a look at Halifax.

That’s when a report will tell us whether the building that houses the main branch of the Ottawa Public Library is toast or can be salvaged into something fit for modern consumption.

Whatever the findings, that’s when we must speak up about what we want our most public of library locations to be. And there’s no better way to do that than to take a page from Halifax’s book.

Let’s assume we all know how circulation and foot-traffic has been growing at all Canadian city libraries, including Ottawa’s. (For that we can thank Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, who shone the spotlight on the importance of public libraries in quite an inadvertent way.)

And let’s put aside, for a moment, our envy of Halifax’s $55-million modernist library that will offer views of both the harbour and the Citadel. We all know we need funds and a location to build a new central library. Halifax, which has been talking about building a new central library since the late 1980s, got a little lucky with both.

What we should be paying the most attention to in the story that is the Halifax library project is its consultation process.

Sounds so Ottawa, doesn’t it, being impressed with consultations?

And yet, the way Halifax conducted them is like nothing most cities have ever experienced. The consultations are already considered a case study in public engagement.

What we call public consultations are really information sessions for the most part: Organization presents plan to public, public stands up and protests, organization goes ahead with plan anyway.

In Halifax, the public participation started before there was a plan. That’s right, no plan.

Instead, the library, together with consultants and an architect, asked people what they wanted in a new central library. And they seemed to really want to know.

The answers aren’t what you might expect.

“We were surprised at the strength of the message that people wanted public space for social interaction,” says Susan McLean, the deputy CEO of the Halifax Public Library.

Hundreds of Haligonians packed meeting rooms, brainstormed and told officials they wanted a space that was welcoming and comfortable, had lots of light and was built to a human scale.

The biggest surprise? “They told us they wanted a building that was ‘out there,’” says McLean.

Well, they got it. The Danish architecture company Schmidt Hammer Lassen, in partnership with local firm Fowler Bauld & Mitchell, are building a five-storey glass box, delivering natural light in a big way.

It’s because of that public input that Halifax’s new central library, slated for an early 2014 opening, will have a multi-purpose “city space” that can be used for anything from public meetings, to mini-blues concerts (with audience interaction), to author events. It’s why it’ll have children and teen areas that will include a recording studio, and comfy places to chat and hang out with friends. (Not the floor if you’re looking for the tomb-like silence we used to associate with libraries.)

There’ll be a computer lab, spaces for English language and literacy classes, and meeting rooms suitable for a business tete-a-tete or for highschool students working on a project. Of course, tables and study carrolls and comfortable reading areas will be found on each level.

The top floor hangs over the rest of the building, which was originally supposed to house the library’s offices. But when the public realized what spectacular views the top floor would have, they balked. Now the fifth floor will be more a long living room, with a cafe on one end and a terrace. The offices are scattered thoughout the other levels.

McLean says Halifax would never have had this unique and exciting a library – or perhaps any library at all – if it wasn’t for the public consultation that allowed people to feel like they owned the project.

“People thanked us after each meeting. They had a great time!”

That’s not to say that every single person was thrilled with the way it turned out. That’s not what democracy’s about. It’s about engaging in what kind of city you want, beyond just casting a ballot.

Democracy isn’t free, either.

The first stage of the building program cost almost $500,000, including hiring an architect who could guide the discussions and properly price the project, so council and the public would know what they were up against in building their dream library.

But democracy doesn’t have to take forever, either. There’s a sense among some Ottawa circles that we just talk and talk and talk, but never do anything. That’s sometimes true, but it doesn’t have to be. The Halifax consultations took about three months in the first stage, and another five or so in the second stage when the library was actually being designed.

And that’s what we have to remember this summer, when we’ll have some important decisions to make.

The city is doing its due diligence on our central library – for which we should give them their due. But after we find out the true condition of our woeful main branch, which amazingly sees 3,000 people go through its door each day, it will be time for action.

If it can be expanded and improved, great. If the library needs a new home, then let’s find one. Money isn’t negligible, but it’s not an insurmountable obstacle either. Consider that through the stimulus program, the city spent $90 million on two road projects in the west end, years ahead of schedule.

Whatever happens, council, do nothing till you hear from us.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 11:36 PM

A total BS article. The consultation was a smokescreen orchestrated by Queen Judith to ensure she got the palace she demanded.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 1:52 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Judith Hare may have wanted an elaborate library on a prime site but I don't think the whole thing could have been orchestrated -- they clearly made some changes in response to feedback. It's a stretch to believe that the original upper-floor offices were some kind of ploy, for example.

All that aside, somebody (who works for the Fraser Valley libraries in BC) mentioned Judith Hare to me at a party a while ago and without prompting gave me an opinion of her similar to your own. It was pretty funny. I'm not really sure why since I know basically nothing about her, I guess she has a coast-to-coast reputation now.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
A total BS article. The consultation was a smokescreen orchestrated by Queen Judith to ensure she got the palace she demanded.
I don't know how much public consultation really changes the basic elements of plans... especially once the design consultants are on-board. Shifting elements floor-to-floor is not a dramatic response to overwhelming public opinion.

However, I do think that the early consultation, by HOK, that set up the functional program for the new library was likely largely driven by public consultation.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 1:30 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

No plans yet for old Halifax library

from cbc.ca

An advisory committee recommends that the downtown Halifax library be designated a heritage property, but municipal staff say it's too early to consider it.

Halifax regional council must decide what to do with the library on Spring Garden Road once a new facility opens across the street in 2014.

The rest of the article here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ry-future.html

If this is designated a heritage property than I'm fairly certain it will end up like the rest. Vacant and in need of repairs. I like what the rest of you have already stated before. It would be a good idea to keep it retail based.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 2:55 PM
opinionated so and so

It is a challenging site. My understanding is they can't expand the building footprint because the old poor burial ground is there. You dig that lawn up and you are digging into 8000+ body burial site.

I think a Chapters of the Mikmaq assembly would be fine, either way.

To the preceding comments, the aboriginal people are a separate order of government in this country. This is spelled out in section 25, 35, and 35.1 of the Charter. It is a constitutional fact. All that is happening with the Made in Nova Scotia solution is working out how we get from the various 250 year old treaties and the 30 year old Charter through a process to arrive at a sensible modern system of self government and interrelation between the first nations in Nova Scotia and the provincial and federal governments.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 3:07 PM

Quote:
If that were that case, she should get into the world domination racket, because that's some seriously inventive scheming.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 11:42 AM

From Thursday.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 12:06 PM
Honored Member

Have they started pouring any concrete?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Have they started pouring any concrete?
No; only tax dollars are pouring into the bottomless pit so far.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 8:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No; only tax dollars are pouring into the bottomless pit so far.
They are?.. Why, jump in there and save them, Keith!

Your figurative remarks aside, the progress of the library is steady.
The concrete will follow eventually.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 5:07 PM

Construction starts on Halifax Central Library

Officials from the Halifax Regional Municipality, the Nova Scotia government and the federal government broke ground Monday on the Halifax Central Library.

The 100,000-square-foot library will include a larger book collection, additional meeting and study rooms, a 250-seat cultural and performance space, plus areas for computers. Halifax Regional Municipality estimates it will cost $55 million.

The federal government is providing $18.3 million through the Building Canada Fund while the province is providing $13 million.

It will replace the Spring Garden Road Memorial Library.

DCN DIGITAL MEDIA

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 6:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I wonder how many cranes this one will require? Maybe 2?

I think there's also supposed to be some news about the Clyde Street development in November. Hopefully we will see construction at Queen/Clyde start soon. Combined with the library the impact along that stretch of Queen Street would be substantial. When combined with development around Queen/Fenwick the two areas could more or less merge together. Nova Centre is also a bit uncharacteristic in that if an office building goes up there it will be slightly farther afield compared to the bank towers.

Maybe the edge of "downtown" in 20 years will be more like Inglis/Robie/North. People should be aware of this kind of expansion too instead of just considering construction right along the main stretch of Barrington a lithmus test for the health of the core. It's normal to expect the extent of the downtown to increase as a city grows.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 7:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I wonder how many cranes this one will require? Maybe 2?

I think there's also supposed to be some news about the Clyde Street development in November. Hopefully we will see construction at Queen/Clyde start soon. Combined with the library the impact along that stretch of Queen Street would be substantial. When combined with development around Queen/Fenwick the two areas could more or less merge together. Nova Centre is also a bit uncharacteristic in that if an office building goes up there it will be slightly farther afield compared to the bank towers.

Maybe the edge of "downtown" in 20 years will be more like Inglis/Robie/North. People should be aware of this kind of expansion too instead of just considering construction right along the main stretch of Barrington a lithmus test for the health of the core. It's normal to expect the extent of the downtown to increase as a city grows.

All of this is such encouraging news. Once some of these developments go up, especially with Fenwick's exciting redevelopment, I'm going to be very tempted to pay for a tourist flight around the downtown because Halifax already looks incredible from an aerial view.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 9:42 PM

Can someone please tell me why this will take THREE years to complete?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

When is it supposed to open exactly? I just remember hearing 2014.

As far as projects in Halifax go this one is larger and more complicated than usual so I would expect it to take longer than usual. The shape of the building and materials are non-standard. They also have to wait to finish the insides of the building and get all the furniture, equipment, and books installed before it can be opened to the public. On the forum we normally don't see this delay because buildings are considered "complete" when tenants start moving in.

I think it will be worth the wait. In particular I like the "city living room" idea because currently there is no high-quality indoor public space downtown. In the winter especially this will be a great spot for people to hang out. The old library is too cramped to serve this function and has limited hours.

Another way to look at this is that it won't be too bad even if there is a construction site for 3 years. It's not a location that would cause much inconvenience and construction sites make an area look successful and vibrant, which Spring Garden Road is. Delays before construction where we see ugly, static empty lots or buildings are much worse because they create a perception of stagnation and do not bring any activity to their surroundings (see: Barrington).

It is too bad that the Salter proposal died because it also had some indoor public space in the form of a winter garden. Halifax has lots of room for improvement when it comes to creating inviting spaces that are busy year-round and well-lit at night.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
Can someone please tell me why this will take THREE years to complete?
Well, a imported Euro-designer palace cannot be finished overnight. Why, I imagine Queen Judith's corner office alone would take up a major part of the schedule - picking the appropriate colors, getting the hand-loomed carpeting from the right Turkish artisan, crafting the handmade desk from a single slab of exotic wood, building the gilded throne -- all this takes time. Add to that the usual HRM incompetence and do-overs, plus the need to get the inevitable additional budget appropriations rubber-stamped by council... 3 years will be quick.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth