HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 9:39 PM
Information Age

"The tallest building ever fully designed"
is it just me or are some of the models different from each other in shape?

To me it seems like they just have some drawings/early models. However I love this building, and should wish I could live long enought to see it.
This is the solution to the future overpopulation problem.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:25 PM

[QUOTE=Aleks0o01;2698384]

The buildings good, but the wrap around causeway, with an over-water mixmaster in the background really sets the whole thing off.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperar View Post
No, there is no planetary defense thingymajig at the top, unfortunately, lol

It's probably just due to the scanner that was used... but anyway

The structure itself will not be built on land due to its weight, instead, it will be built in the sea where the foundation is much stronger.

A height comparison between the Burj Dubai and the X Seed 4000 using Autocad:

You can even try parachuting from the top too.

Edit: I've calculated the population density to be about 35,000 people / sq km, that's 1 million people over a diameter of 6km

Cool building, but how are they going to make it earthquake safe, given that Japan is the most seismically active area of the world? When I hear about people here in California balking at buildings over 1,000 feet due to earthquake, I'm wondering how something 13 times this tall will pass the litmus test.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 6:27 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstcranialnerve View Post
^ Depends what you mean by vibrant. Anyone who has visited asia knows that most of the continent is like 100 years in the past. The people are extremely poor by American standards. These buildings present a westernized, respectable face to cities that are full of poor delapidated buildings and millions of hungry factory workers. The reason many of these buildings can be constructed so easily there is because they don't pay the workers anywhere near what american workers would get to do the same thing. Think, Japan is the most affluent nation in asia because it opened up early, mostly because of American influence. Are they even mentioned building a real building? No, only the fictional X-Seed have we discussed.

If you think millions of hungry factory workers and delapidated buildings with a few supertall buildings isolated on the other side of the city means a great city, then by all means, enjoy!
Millions of hungry factory workers? Where? In Taiwan? South Korea? China? Sorry mate, but these are the countries that are building the supertalls in Asia and people ain't hungry. China remains one of the most well fed countries in the world. Taiwan has the 14 highest GDP in the world.
Remember these wages that are tiny in comparison to western countries are worth a whole lot more here than there.

Out of interest, have you been to any of these countries?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 8:06 PM

Probably not, the poster sounds like he's/she's basing their entire argument out of some outdated picture that they saw once when they were at a flea market. It's almost embarassing the ignorance displayed.

Let me put it this way, how do YOU define vibrancy? Is your idea of liveliness and pedestrian oriented, people sitting in front of their TVs at home in their 4000 sq. ft. house at the end of a cul de sac, or people buying and selling wares on a packed street in 35C weather? I'll give you a few moments to think about it.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 1:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenser View Post
This is the solution to the future overpopulation problem.
Nah, the solution to the overpopulation problem is to make the moon habitable...or maybe Mars...

That would probably happen before we saw this thing built on earth...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 12:44 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/Detai...gh_anxiety.xml

High anxiety
As Dubai rushes to complete the tallest skyscraper on earth, New York is keeping a low profile. Why?

By Corina Zappia

Months from completion, Burj Dubai is already the second tallest building in history.

If you’re hoping to erect the world’s tallest building, don’t expect to hold onto the title for very long. Taiwan’s 1,671-foot Taipei 101 tower will have enjoyed the designation for a mere four years before getting knocked off its pedestal in 2008. That’s when construction is expected to be completed on Burj Dubai, a mammoth superstructure in the United Arab Emirates metropolis that will house 160 floors, 40mph elevators and a 30-acre artificial lake. And, at approximately 2,600 feet tall, it will be more than twice the height of our beloved Empire State Building.

Even incomplete, the stratospheric glass fortress is already attracting attention Stateside, as evidenced by “World’s Tallest Building: Burj Dubai,” on display at the Skyscraper Museum through the end of August. “Doing the exhibition now, when it’s just this naked concrete structure, is really a great opportunity,” says museum director Carol Willis. “It demonstrates the scale of the building and its connection to the desert, since concrete is just sand and water. Once skyscrapers are finished, they all look the same. Here, you can really see this structure as it rises.”

Eschewing glitzier details—like the 175-room Giorgio Armani–designed hotel on the building’s lower floors or the ostentatious slogan plastered on its website (“Burj Dubai will be known by many names. But only a privileged group of people will call it home”)—the exhibit looks at the design and construction challenges involved and posits the Middle East mega-edifice within the framework of the century-old skyscraper race. Starting with an aerial view of the coast of Dubai, visitors move through a survey of global superstructures (both completed and under-construction), followed by a level-by-level breakdown of Burj Dubai. Architectural models and a photomontage of ongoing construction give visitors a sense of the massive undertaking involved. (The Burj’s 3,000–6,800 laborers have to work at night during the summer, when daytime temperatures can reach 120 degrees.)

Viewing the museum’s survey of 20th- and 21st-century monoliths, though, it’s hard not to notice the dwindling number located in the West—and especially in New York, a front-runner in the skyscraper race for so long. Today, only the 102-story Empire State Building cracks the top ten—coming in last place.

Unlike midtown’s Art Deco masterpiece, contemporary supertalls are mostly residential and mixed-use monoliths built in Asian cities like Shanghai or Seoul, where exponential population growth provides a constant demand for housing, or in Dubai, where taxes are nonexistent, labor practices are dubious and oil-rich investors subscribe to an “if we build it, they will come” philosophy. So why has New York stopped caring?

“I don’t think there was much interest in building the world’s tallest building here, even before 9/11,” says Andrew Dolkart, a professor of historic preservation at the Columbia School of Architecture. If security were the issue, adds Dolkart, there wouldn’t be any skyscrapers being built here at all.

The real answer, according to Willis, is economics. “The most common romance about skyscrapers is that they’re all about ego—the architect’s ego, the owner’s ego—but they’re always built with other people’s money. And if a financial institution thinks you’re not going to make money on your building, they won’t loan you $3 billion, which is what it’ll cost to build the Freedom Tower.” The Tower, should it ever finally be built, will be the exception to New York’s aversion to superstructures, owing more to sentimentality than to hubris.

Bureaucracy is another factor keeping New York on the down-low. “The city puts a limit on how much space you can pile up on a given lot,” explains Willis. “You can’t assemble enough land to make the world’s tallest building anywhere in the five boroughs.” And there’s little point in tearing down an older edifice. Because of zoning laws, you’d have to replace it with something smaller. (The Twin Towers avoided such regulations because they were built on land owned by the Port Authority.)

The bottom line, Willis believes, is that today, New Yorkers just prefer smaller buildings that don’t overshadow their neighbors or blot out the sun. And, as both Willis and Dolkart agree, we no longer have to prove our mettle by bragging about the length of our edifices. “Every now and then, someone like Donald Trump will say, ‘I’m going to build the world’s tallest building,’ ” says Dolkart. “And everyone just yawns.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 12:01 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07182/797952-37.stm

Keeping up with world's tallest buildings

July 01, 2007
By David Bear, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Whenever I visit a new place for the first time, I always gravitate to a high point of view. In addition to being the best way to get a sense of a city, a high view imparts a jolt of excitement and the odd sense of superiority that comes with being above it all.

In this feeling I am not alone.

Erecting ever taller structures is one of mankind's oldest pursuits. First we built towers to spot approaching enemies or demonstrate devotion to our deities. Over the last century, our buildings have reached new heights to accommodate our commerce and population and to promote civic pride.

It has been said of the welter of towering edifices that punctuate Chicago's pan flat panorama that men had to erect these artificial mountains because the natural landscape offered none.

When Daniel Burnham designed and erected the 22-story Masonic Temple Building in 1892, it reigned as the world's tallest building for two years. It was followed by such notable corporate standard bearers as the Montgomery Ward Building (1899 -- 23 stories), the Wrigley Building (1922 -- 27 stories), and the Chicago Board of Trade Building (1930 -- 44 stories). All were world wonders in their day.

But it wasn't until the 1960s that Chicago's edifice complex really got serious. The John Hancock Insurance Co. conceived of creating a monumental structure on property on Michigan Avenue's magnificent mile a few blocks in from the lake. It hired the architectural firm of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, whose chief structural engineer Fazlur Kahn conceived of a tubular, X-bracing exterior that allowed the square, tapering structure to rise to unprecedented heights. Incidentally, Ambridge Steel completed much of the metal work on these and newer Chicago structures.

When the John Hancock Center opened in 1970, the 100-story structure towered over the city at 1,127 feet, but "Big John's" reign as Chicago's tallest edifice was brief.

Standard Oil was already constructing a rectangular square monolith on East Randolph which, although only 83 stories, soared to 1,136 feet. When "Big Stan," as it was known before it became the Amoco Building, opened in 1974
it was completely clad in Carrara marble, but the creamy stone didn't wear well. Giant slabs began peeling off, and in the early 1990s, the entire structure was refaced in white granite. Now known as the Aon Center, it offers no public viewing.

But the serious surpasser of both buildings was also rising quickly.

In 1970 the Sears Roebuck Co. hired Skidmore, Owings and Merrill to create a taller structure along the Chicago River. The design bundled nine square towers of different heights, two of which topped out at 110 occupied stories and soared to 1,451 feet. When the Sears Tower opened in 1974, it grabbed the title of world's tallest building, a distinction it held until 1998, when the Petronas Twin Towers opened in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. Although the latter buildings have only 88 occupied floors, their spires count toward their overall height, while the antennas atop the Sears Tower do not.

In April 2004, both buildings were passed by Taipei 101 in Taiwan, at 1,671 feet.

When the Burj Dubai, a super tall tower going up in Dubai is completed next year, it will rank at the world's tallest building, peaking out at more than 2,600 feet to its tip-top, with at least 160 floors. It will be almost twice as tall as New York City's Empire State building.

When it comes to construction, it seems the sky is no longer any limit.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 11:52 PM

Megabuilders burj dubai

Megabuilders burj dubai part 1
Video Link

Megabuilders burj dubai part 2
Video Link

Megabuilders burj dubai part 3
Video Link

Megabuilders burj dubai part 4
Video Link

Megabuilders burj dubai part 5
Video Link

Megabuilders burj dubai part 6
Video Link

there you hawe it i hope you like it

this is my youtube space http://www.youtube.com/vanhnrik

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 7:49 PM

Question

Just a question, the Millenium Tower design in the sity of Busan, , why it doesn't appears in the diagrams of the city, nor even the country???

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 12:44 PM

NYC is just fine with its skyline. Though having the tallest building would be nice. I wish they would surprise everybody and raise the height of WTC 1. My question in relation to all these new supertalls- Are they finding enough business's/people and residents to fill up these buildings? I see all these towers being built in Dubai and i say to myself, where are all the people coming from to occupy these. Only 4 million people live in U.A.E. I guess the old baseball saying works- If you build it, they will come. That Japanese building looks like something out of the movie Logans Run.

Last edited by Renton; Aug 22, 2007 at 11:31 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture