HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 2:53 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/m...80-kmh-1754907

I’m disappointed that the speed limit on Maley Drive Extension won’t be 90 km/h. Is RR 55 from Lively toward city centre the only city road that has such a high speed limit?
Also, if Maley Drive gets extended to meet SE Bypass west of Coniston, what will be the distance between RR 55 and Highway 17 Markstay extension?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 5:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/m...80-kmh-1754907

I’m disappointed that the speed limit on Maley Drive Extension won’t be 90 km/h. Is RR 55 from Lively toward city centre the only city road that has such a high speed limit?
Also, if Maley Drive gets extended to meet SE Bypass west of Coniston, what will be the distance between RR 55 and Highway 17 Markstay extension?
1) The speed limit is due to the roundabouts.

2) RR55 is the only one at 90km/hr, but only between Copper Cliff and Lively.

3) 17 is supposed to cross the lights where you turn at RR55 and go to the tracks in Stinson, about 15km.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 6:57 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 2:00 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Maley Drive Extension Phase I is now shown on Google Maps.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 2:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Maley Drive Extension Phase I is now shown on Google Maps.
It wasn't when it was first open.
Just tried to do a directions to Walmart. It will not route me onto it, even if I drag it.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 2:30 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Regina Bypass was like that too when it was first opened. Just wait a few more days.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:46 PM

THUNDER BAY

A billboard is up at Oliver and the Thunder Bay Expressway advertising the proposed hotel for that location (to be built on the north side of Oliver). It'll be a Choice brand hotel.

The proposed multi-unit residential development on Leslie Ave. near Hodder is back on the radar again. It was originally proposed about a year and half ago, but nothing ever happened (came in over budget I believe). The project would see two condo/apartment buildings constructed with a combined total of 109 units.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 2:32 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.northernontariobusiness....e-road-1975360

EA input for the first phase of Ring of Fire Road - Has anyone seen this yet? It was from last year. (Happy New Year, by the way.)

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 2:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
https://www.northernontariobusiness....e-road-1975360

EA input for the first phase of Ring of Fire Road - Has anyone seen this yet? It was from last year. (Happy New Year, by the way.)
I saw that, but without an actual announcement that it will go ahead, I am skeptical to post much about it. I still feel a rail line north to it from the CN line would be prudent. Then, if they do anything in Timmins, a reactivation of the abandoned line to Hearst would be in order too.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 6:31 PM

There's actually two EA processes working their way through right now related to Ring of Fire access roads. These would be the Webequie Supply Road and the Marten Falls Community Access Road, covering about 300 km combined. That each project is at the EA stage is a little more promising sign that the projects will go ahead, but far from being a done deal yet.

In terms of the Ring of Fire, I'd be more concerned about Nor-Ont's smelter proposal for the Soo at this point in time... appears there is a decent amount of local/regional opposition to the project.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 5:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
There's actually two EA processes working their way through right now related to Ring of Fire access roads. These would be the Webequie Supply Road and the Marten Falls Community Access Road, covering about 300 km combined. That each project is at the EA stage is a little more promising sign that the projects will go ahead, but far from being a done deal yet.

In terms of the Ring of Fire, I'd be more concerned about Nor-Ont's smelter proposal for the Soo at this point in time... appears there is a decent amount of local/regional opposition to the project.
If I were a betting man, I would say the final location will be Timmins. The Soo is crying that it doesn't want it. Sudbury has the same issue. Timmins has been rather quiet about it, but maybe someone there can shed some light. If it did go to Timmins, this would make reactivating the old CN line west of Hearst a priority, and one that likely would be government owned and part of the ONR system.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 12:40 AM
Urban Fanactic

Just approved last night at city council in Sault Ste. Marie. Will be 8 stories tall from the original 12 story plan. It was reduced in height to by pass a law that requires buildings with more than 50 units to have 30% of them being affordable units. Prices range from $1400 to $1900 including utilities a month.

View from the top.

Original Plan.

Revised Plan.

Source: https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/...photos-2001875

Also apparently the Soo is getting a Giant Tiger along with a few other cities which was shown on their website. It will be going into Wellington Square Mall in the east end of the city.

Source: https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/...-tiger-2005020

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 1:27 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

What the heck, even rental price in Northern Ontario is more than a thousand per month??

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 2:17 AM
I am a typical

While average rent in Thunder Bay is $800, based on actual listings, it's ranging from $1,000 to $2,000 depending on size and location. The larger houses with 4 or 5 university students are all going for about $2,400 a month. A lot of the landlords here are Torontonians, and a lot of the students are from Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 3:44 AM

Quote:
What the heck, even rental price in Northern Ontario is more than a thousand per month??
Yes for sure and that certainly includes Timmins.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 4:03 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Are there any places near the cities where rent is below $1000/month...?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 4:46 AM
I am a typical

Shitty neighbourhoods or single rooms are below $1,000/month.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Are there any places near the cities where rent is below $1000/month...?
Yes, but, there is no work, or you would not want to live there. I live in a 3 bedroom semi that I bought a few years ago. It is cheaper than renting. That is the unique thing about the northern market, renting is not a cheaper solution, but one due to other financial issues.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 11:39 AM

It's not a northern thing for rent to be more expensive than owning. It happens everywhere. It's the cost of getting into the housing market that keeps a lot of people renting and driving up rental costs. I don't honestly know how my kids who are just turning 18, are going to be able to buy a house when they are going to need tens of thousands of dollars to begin with.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 1:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

My rent’s around $700 per month right now. Is Waterloo’s rental price just an aberration then?

Quote:
I live in a 3 bedroom semi that I bought a few years ago. It is cheaper than renting.
sounds like you’re settling for real for once

Quote:
I don't honestly know how my kids who are just turning 18, are going to be able to buy a house when they are going to need tens of thousands of dollars to begin with.
Now, I hope that people don’t drive the price of an RV up the roof. Even then, I don’t even know how much one costs. I should look it up... Edit: It’s 5 digits. Alright affordable housing needs to be on the next election campaign for real. Anyway I digress.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario