HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 7:01 PM

/\ Out of all of the nonsense that came out of the very initial opposition to the Stewart project, I had thought the developers agreed to fix the rotating sign. I would think it is expensive, but something they had "agreed" to do, regardless.

And I don't care about Circles... but that rotating sign with neon (rotating signs like that are rare) was glorious way back in the day for the Stewart Motor Company/Steudebaker building. I think historic signs are an amazing detail of an urban environment (especially in a historic area) and it would be awesome if it could have been restored correctly, not just slapping on a Snooze logo.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 8:00 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ Out of all of the nonsense that came out of the very initial opposition to the Stewart project, I had thought the developers agreed to fix the rotating sign. I would think it is expensive, but something they had "agreed" to do, regardless.

And I don't care about Circles... but that rotating sign with neon (rotating signs like that are rare) was glorious way back in the day for the Stewart Motor Company/Steudebaker building. I think historic signs are an amazing detail of an urban environment (especially in a historic area) and it would be awesome if it could have been restored correctly, not just slapping on a Snooze logo.
When I spoke with the developers before the Stewart construction began, they stated at that time they did not know about it and were recently made aware of it. They did say they would like to get it operational "if" they could, but I have not seen anything official stating whether the sign will be functional or not. I do agree that rotating signs are pretty cool and add a little character to a building just as neon does and I would like to see it in operation again. Not to do so would be unfortunate. It may not be much, but it's one of the actual cool historical elements of the building and would add a some character to the Stewart.

As far as the costs, I don't see the motor costing that much to replace. It's probably a turntable or belt driven electric motor in the 3-4 HP range with about a 300 to 500 lb capacity. New motors such as that can be had for pretty cheap. It should not be that expensive to fix or replace at all and relatively negligible compared to the costs of the entire building.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
It should not be that expensive to fix or replace at all and relatively negligible compared to the costs of the entire building.
FWIW, I saw them working on that sign today (and the Snooze part of the sign is already finished). Fingers crossed for something cool.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 11:34 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
FWIW, I saw them working on that sign today (and the Snooze part of the sign is already finished). Fingers crossed for something cool.
I just spoke with the construction crew at Snooze. Unfortunately, they are not going to repair the spinning sign. The sign will stay as is. It will say Snooze on the 2 sides that already say it and will say the Stewart on the remaining front side. When I inquired as to why they are not repairing it, they said that the motor is so old that even the brushes are mounted on wood and not metal. It must be one hell of an old motor to be using wood to hold the electrical brush contacts. Sigh...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 2:47 AM

Thanks for asking at the source and giving us the info. Maybe once snooze goes under the next place will restore it.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:19 PM

I really dont get why people care about this building its not classic it just had a neat sign and a round front window.

It was a car dealership from the 50's not an art deco masterpiece or a 100 year old house, The whole thing should have been flattened 4 years ago

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:31 PM

Clearly you're in the minority on this one.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:38 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I really dont get why people care about this building its not classic it just had a neat sign and a round front window.

It was a car dealership from the 50's not an art deco masterpiece or a 100 year old house, The whole thing should have been flattened 4 years ago
We're not talking about the building. We're talking about the sign which would have been a nice little tweak if it had been made operational.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Clearly you're in the minority on this one.
In this case the majority is wrong.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:53 PM

Yeah, it's almost like different people can have different opinions.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Yeah, it's almost like different people can have different opinions.
Sure they can, does't make them right.

The fight over this trash building was a massive waste of time and money. To bad somebody didn't tear it down 20 years ago to avoid all of this nonsense.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:08 PM

okay

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 11:09 PM
Modulator

Some info on Barrel and Bushel coming to the Hyatt Regency (re-paint those awful colors Hyatt!). Opening date is set for the 26th.

Quote:
Barrel & Bushel to open at Hyatt Regency in downtown Phoenix: What to expect

PHOENIX — For the last several months, the Hyatt Regency hotel in downtown Phoenix has been under construction part of a top-to-bottom renovation. The rooms have been redesigned, the pool was resurfaced, and its newly-redesigned restaurant is expected to reopen before the end of the year.

Networks Bar & Grill, one of the hotel's mainstays near Second and Adams streets, located across from the Phoenix Convention Center, closed in May after nearly 20 years in business.

It will reopen soon -- tentatively set for Dec. 26, 2019, depending on final construction and permits -- as Barrel and Bushel, Hyatt's American gastropub-style restaurant (there is one located at the Hyatt Regency in Tysons Corner, Virginia).

Here is what we know about the new concept:

In a phone interview with ABC15 on Tuesday, Klus said Networks "ran its course" and that the new space is "unrecognizable." She said the Networks' space was entirely gutted to make way for the new restaurant, which she describes as "industrial chic."

Clean, modern with a "sit back and relax vibe," Klus said. View artist renderings in the player above.

The restaurant will have 16 taps at the bar with local and domestic brews, as well as craft cocktails, which have been designed for efficiency, she said.

On the food menu, she said people could expect to see shared plates, salads, burgers, and steaks. Chef Chelsea Cummings, who formerly worked at Weft and Warp, a restaurant at Scottsdale's Andaz resort, will lead the kitchen.

Klus said she hopes Barrel and Bushel serves as a "hybrid" between the traditional hotel restaurant where those attending a convention can network and relax over a meal and one that caters to a local crowd, perhaps going to see a show at Symphony Hall or a game at Talking Stick Resort Arena.

The restaurant will have seating for up to 200 people, including the patio which has been expanded to the street, said Klus. It will be equipped with fans, heaters, and misters for those hot summer months and cool fall months.

A grab-and-go market with sandwiches, salads, and pastries opened inside the lobby at the end of November.

As for Compass Arizona Room, the signature rotating restaurant and bar atop of the hotel, no changes have been made as of yet. However, Klus left open the possibility that renovations could happen in the future.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Some info on Barrel and Bushel coming to the Hyatt Regency (re-paint those awful colors Hyatt!). Opening date is set for the 26th.
What a bummer that renovations skipped Compass during this phase. Awesome restaurant with great views but looks totally outdated. My priority list:
  1. Fix the damn paint job
  2. Renovate Compass

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 4:04 PM

https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/res...=ReviveOldPost

Although we’ve known about le Josephine opening soon in the old duplex next to the Cambria hotel, I didn’t realize that Coup de Grâce would also be in the house. Sounds like a cool concept!

I just hope with the recent wave of restaurant closures downtown, the influx of new ones all poised to open in the next few weeks pull through strong.

Also...Sazerac has made it past its first year in business this last Friday!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:31 PM

Dvina Modern Fare (in former Jobot house) is opening this Saturday.

https://mouthbysouthwest.com/2019/12...2DNiE2wEGI1JOA
New brewery opening named 12 West Brewery is opening NYE in downtown Mesa.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Dvina Modern Fare (in former Jobot house) is opening this Saturday.

https://mouthbysouthwest.com/2019/12...2DNiE2wEGI1JOA
New brewery opening named 12 West Brewery is opening NYE in downtown Mesa.
I think 12 West is going to be big for Mesa. It's a huge space, and in addition to the brewery they're going to have full wine/spirits and a full kitchen. A place like this has been missing from downtown Mesa. Excited.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/res...=ReviveOldPost

Although we’ve known about le Josephine opening soon in the old duplex next to the Cambria hotel, I didn’t realize that Coup de Grâce would also be in the house. Sounds like a cool concept!

I just hope with the recent wave of restaurant closures downtown, the influx of new ones all poised to open in the next few weeks pull through strong.

Also...Sazerac has made it past its first year in business this last Friday!

What all closed besides Daily Jam?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
What all closed besides Daily Jam?
Not a restaurant, but Track Club closed. This just closed as well: https://mouthbysouthwest.com/2019/12...fter-51-years/

I'm not seeing a ton of restaurants closing--pretty much a healthy churn with new restaurants outpacing the closures.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 5:43 PM

Track club almost doesn't count since it folded so quickly

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest