HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 3:54 PM
Closed account

I know this is a little crazy, but I figure if the city is willing to spend the money on the Glenmore/37th interchange, then why not think about the Glenmore/Sarcee one too? (Just a little mental exercise)

I wanted a solution that only required 1 bridge, (like the recycled one they used on the G/37 project) and this is all I could come up with:

So WB Glenmore to NB Sarcee is a bypass as mentioned on the last page. The SB Sarcee to WB Highway 8 works as it does now, as a merge.

The SB Sarcee to EB Glenmore is over the bridge, the WB Glenmore to WB Highway 8 lanes are under the bridge.

The strangest movement is the WB Highway 8 to NB Sarcee. Since I wanted as little infrastructure as possible, I though that the lane could head north over the bridge (barrier between the lanes, as the flow of the lanes is reversed to what you would normally expect) and then looping under the bridge to join with Sarcee.

I realise this is probably not a great idea, and that it is based on doing it as cheaply as possible, but there you go, just a thought!

Last edited by 5seconds; May 17, 2012 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 4:01 PM

Brilliant! The city should take a look at that. As far as the strange movement you mentioned for WB Highway 8 to NB Sarcee, I don't think that's too big of a deal. I'd bet that's the lightest traffic flow of any of the connections and a single lane would work just fine. Maybe the city could build this similar to Glenmore and 37th Street and take down the bridge once Stoney finally happens?

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 4:12 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

That plan makes a lot of sense to me!

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Yeah the one ways downtown people clip along pretty fast. I always go slow because of the cool scenery! Are they ever going to lower the speed to 40 in the dense urban areas?
I hope not, I'm usually going 65-70 on the one ways downtown.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 4:55 PM

Impressive 5seconds! Unorthodox, but that option makes the most sense and seems very achievable! I'd gladly take it over whats there/already proposed.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 1:33 AM
Closed account

This was the city's rough plan for that interchange in 2002, as an alternative to a Tsuu T'ina ring road (assuming a ring road via 37th street):

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 1:50 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
I know this is a little crazy, but I figure if the city is willing to spend the money on the Glenmore/37th interchange, then why not think about the Glenmore/Sarcee one too? (Just a little mental exercise)

I wanted a solution that only required 1 bridge, (like the recycled one they used on the G/37 project) and this is all I could come up with:

So WB Glenmore to NB Sarcee is a bypass as mentioned on the last page. The SB Sarcee to WB Highway 8 works as it does now, as a merge.

The SB Sarcee to EB Glenmore is over the bridge, the WB Glenmore to WB Highway 8 lanes are under the bridge.

The strangest movement is the WB Highway 8 to NB Sarcee. Since I wanted as little infrastructure as possible, I though that the lane could head north over the bridge (barrier between the lanes, as the flow of the lanes is reversed to what you would normally expect) and then looping under the bridge to join with Sarcee.

I realise this is probably not a great idea, and that it is based on doing it as cheaply as possible, but there you go, just a thought!
Not bad. The only problem I see with that is that it's a merge from the left going from Highway 8 to NB Sarcee, but that's not a very busy movement so it should be okay.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 3:12 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Not bad. The only problem I see with that is that it's a merge from the left going from Highway 8 to NB Sarcee, but that's not a very busy movement so it should be okay.
Thanks! If the EB Glenmore to NB Sarcee was a single lane, then it could join with no merge, or if they did 2 lanes, they could run 3 lanes until Richmond road, before one of them became a turning lane. (Not sure about the volumes on either of those movements and if a single lane is appropriate, but I think it could work.)

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 6:01 PM
not a NIMBY

Avoid Elbow Dr for the next few months, unless you like being trapped in one lane of solid traffic that is not moving forward.
Apparently all the previous improvements were just cosmetic, so now they are digging everything up to re-build the road bed.
Probably after they get this work finished they will realize they have to dig it all up to re-do the utilities under the new road bed or something else incomprehensible to me!
I think this is all a devious plot by the Elbow Park Community Association to keep the riff-raff out.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:28 PM
not a NIMBY

Heritage Dr. is closed under Glenmore Trail as the Bow river has spilled its banks and flooded like it does there every June.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:36 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Heritage Dr. is closed under Glenmore Trail as the Bow river has spilled its banks and flooded like it does there every June.
I just got caught up in that mess trying to get from NB Deerfoot onto WB Glenmore. No signage whatsover until you got to Heritage Drive and the road was blocked off. The City might want to put up some signage to give some advance notice.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Avoid Elbow Dr for the next few months, unless you like being trapped in one lane of solid traffic that is not moving forward.
Apparently all the previous improvements were just cosmetic, so now they are digging everything up to re-build the road bed.
Probably after they get this work finished they will realize they have to dig it all up to re-do the utilities under the new road bed or something else incomprehensible to me!
I think this is all a devious plot by the Elbow Park Community Association to keep the riff-raff out.
They are ripping all that up again? who the hell is in charge of infrastructure / utility upgrades in this damn city? why go through all the trouble of renovating shit if they are going to rip it all up again the next year.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:03 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
They are ripping all that up again? who the hell is in charge of infrastructure / utility upgrades in this damn city? why go through all the trouble of renovating shit if they are going to rip it all up again the next year.
This seems to be a favourite activity for the utilities department, they've done that exact thing on 11th for a few years now, dig, pave, wait, dig, pave.......

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:10 PM
not a NIMBY

and they are "victims" of budget cycles manipulated for political whim or gain.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:11 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I'm not totally familiar with the project, so this is just a guess, but I'm guessing that this was always how the project was going to work. Usually for these road projects, they have to rebuild all of the curbs, regrade, etc, patching the asphalt as they go, and then when all of that is done, they do all of the roadbed/final asphalt in one go. It's the only way to do it properly.

That's not to say that there hasn't been frustrating road work that has been redone too many times. What is really frustrating is when they have just finished putting a final topping of asphalt on and then it gets ripped up for utilities a couple of weeks later. However, most of the time, when I hear of people compaining about paving/roadwork being redone, there is nothing actually being redone.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:15 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Sounds to me like 40 wasn't slow enough. Maybe 0 is the ultimate NIMBY speed!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:18 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Sounds to me like 40 wasn't slow enough. Maybe 0 is the ultimate NIMBY speed!
I wish I could "like" comments on this forum without having to actually type several words to say that I liked the comment!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
This seems to be a favourite activity for the utilities department, they've done that exact thing on 11th for a few years now, dig, pave, wait, dig, pave.......
I walk down 11th ave to get to work every day, I know all about that crap.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:34 PM

Quote:
I wish I could "like" comments on this forum without having to actually type several words to say that I liked the comment!
That would save frinkprof a lot of stress. lol

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I'm not totally familiar with the project, so this is just a guess, but I'm guessing that this was always how the project was going to work. Usually for these road projects, they have to rebuild all of the curbs, regrade, etc, patching the asphalt as they go, and then when all of that is done, they do all of the roadbed/final asphalt in one go. It's the only way to do it properly.

That's not to say that there hasn't been frustrating road work that has been redone too many times. What is really frustrating is when they have just finished putting a final topping of asphalt on and then it gets ripped up for utilities a couple of weeks later. However, most of the time, when I hear of people compaining about paving/roadwork being redone, there is nothing actually being redone.
I don't get why they can't do it all in one go. Why spend 3 years ripping it all up and re-paving the whole road to come back again the next year and rip it all up again, seems horribly inefficient.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure