HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 7:55 PM

When you combine the attitudes of these retailers with the push for more residential downtown - I'm not surprised by this at all.

I've always had the feeling that if the Roy Building/Discovery centre got built with residential in mind, there would be some push of stores from Bayers Lake. The only thing is now, they have to get built. No more talk, get it done.

I have the sneaking suspicion that if Agricola was to turn into a high density area with the same building heights as trillium (or taller) and the commercial footprints to provide a range of sizes, you'd see other retailers (possibly even big box stores) more there. Especially if the city went what I call "oober" high density (30 stories or more) and put thousands of people there.

Ah one can dream!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 10:06 PM

Is it just me, or did retail in halifax really take off recently? (ex: North Face, Hollister, Sephora, etc.)

I agree, keep em' coming!

PS- I love that these stores are starting to want to move downtown!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 4:48 PM

I've seen some of the preliminary work and this is going to look much better then what currently exists.

Local firm to design new CBC digs

By JOANN ALBERSTAT

Business Reporter

A Halifax architectural firm has been picked to design the CBC’s expanded broadcast building on Bell Road.

WHW Architects Inc. was awarded the contract after a national competition, the public broadcaster said this week.

“We’re very excited about the project," WHW vice-president Joe Zareski said Thursday in an interview. “Our sleeves are already rolled up and we’re underway."

WHW was among four companies shortlisted for the design work.

“It was a delight to see that the strong­est firm was a local firm," Andrew Cochran, managing director of CBC Mar­itimes’ English services, said Thursday.

The CBC announced plans last fall to sell its building at the corner of Sackville and South Park streets and locate all ra­dio, television and online operations at Bell Road. The 57,000-square-foot build­ing will be renovated, with an addition of 35,000 square feet.

Planning and design work on the pro­ject will be finished this fall, when the construction work will go out to tender.

Construction is expected to begin next year and is slated to be completed in early 2014.

Zareski, also project leader, said the building’s design will take into account its location and reflect the CBC’s regional and national importance. He said the broad­caster has indicated it wants to make the revamped building more publicly acces­sible.

“Right now, when you walk by Bell Road, there’s a lot of blank walls. We’re going to try to make it more open and transparent, so people can see the action happening within and the people who are within can see Halifax."

Officials wouldn’t say how much the design contract is worth or reveal the project’s overall price tag.

Cochran said the addition, which will be on what is now a parking lot, will house the newsroom for radio, television and online news and current affairs pro­grams for the French and English services. The television studios will remain in the existing building.

Many employees at Bell Road will work out of Sackville Street during construc­tion, Cochran said.

“Some things that go on the Bell build­ing, by necessary, have to stay here."

He said a decision hasn’t been made on where TV news programs will be pro­duced during construction.

CBC has 180 full-time employees in the two buildings, plus contract staff.

(jalberstat@herald.ca)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 11:37 PM
Salty Town

This is great news for a great neighbourhood. The only blight on the area is the horrible vinyl siding that was plastered on a number of hydrostone buildings as seen here http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...=12,64.92,,0,0 and what a mess http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.007854&z=17
Vinyl siding is the worst building product ever developed and hopefully its use will be restricted in the future.

Chronicle Herald

Hydrostone finalist for award

By GEOFF BIRD
Fri, Apr 29 - 4:54 AM
The neighbourhood that rose out of the ashes of the Halifax Explosion was nominated Thursday as one of the best neighbourhoods in Canada.

The Canadian Institute of Planners announced that the Hydrostone district, named for the patented concrete block the homes were built of, is a top-10 finalist for its first annual Great Places in Canada award.

The Hydrostone was nominated in the best neighbourhood category because of its mix of residential, retail, office and public park spaces.

British planner Thomas Adams designed the Hydrostone district as an English-style garden suburb, with grass-lined boulevards that provide a common space for residents to meet.

The neighbourhood has an eclectic mix of boutiques, eateries and shops on Young Street.

"We know what a jewel we have in the Hydrostone neighbourhood," said Coun. Jerry Blumenthal, a municipal politician who represents the area.

"And now through this program, we have an opportunity to share it with the rest of the country."

This is the inaugural year for the Great Places award, said Steven Brasier, executive director at the Canadian Institute of Planners. Brasier said the award was created as a way to show Canadians the relevance of urban planning.

"We felt it was important to draw attention to great planning and how it creates great places."

The winner of the award will be announced May 16.

( gbird@herald.ca)

Last edited by Empire; Apr 30, 2011 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 8:57 PM

East Dartmouth Community Centre is First HRM-Owned Building with LEED Silver Certification

(Tuesday, May 3, 2011) - The East Dartmouth Community Centre is Halifax Regional Municipality’s first municipally-owned certified LEED building, thanks to its use of geothermal heating and cooling; a green roof; 15% recycled building materials; low-emitting construction materials; and provisions for clients to use sustainable transportation.

Please join Mayor Kelly and Regional Councillors as they unveil the LEED Silver certification plaque on Wednesday May 4 at 11:00 a.m. Media tours showcasing some of the LEED building features will be available.

LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, a green rating system for the design of new buildings certified by the Canada Green Building Council. It as a minimum standard for new HRM facilities.

Date: May 4, 2011
Time: 11 a.m.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 5:26 PM

Public Information Meeting - Brunswick Manor

May 11, 2011 Public Information Meeting
Bloomfield Centre (Multi-Purpose Room)
2786 Agricola Street, Halifax – 7:00 p.m.
Case 16803 - Application by Rayleen Hill Architecture and Design for lands of the City of Halifax - Non-Profit Housing Society for a development agreement in the Brunswick Street Heritage Area (Schedule HA-1) to allow for a multiple unit dwelling at 2569-2581 Brunswick Street, Halifax. More information...

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 7:28 PM

I thought there was a thread for ESpace, but I couldn't find it. But things are now progressing on the site.

Here are some pics from Dawn Sloanes facebook page.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 7:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Nice to see progress. That is such a great row of buildings. In particular the six storey building with the two-storey glass front and the granite facade are very impressive.

Hopefully one day we'll see some restoration work done on the building with Idealbikes (one in from the corner of Prince).

Of course, there's also the NFB project. NFB + Espace + Roy -> perfectly acceptable Barrington Street.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 10:37 PM
Salty Town

How soon can we make a donation to the campaign?

Chronicle Herald

Savage remains coy about mayoral aspirations
By STEPHEN MAHER Staff Reporter
Wed, May 4 - 9:02 PM

Former MP Michael Savage went down to defeat on Monday night.

When Michael Savage was campaigning — unsuccessfully — to hang on to the federal seat of Dartmouth-Cole Harbour, some voters told him that they had another job in mind for him.

"Among the most annoying things people would say to me during the campaign is, look, if you don’t win here, you should run for mayor," he said Tuesday.

It is not the first time people have suggested Savage should run next year to become mayor of Halifax Regional Municipality.

Since March, there has been a growing sense that someone might be able to beat Mayor Peter Kelly. It was revealed in March that Kelly knew about secret cash advances to a concert promoter whose company later ceased operations, leaving the city on the hook for $360,000.

Savage has quietly talked with supporters about the idea, but he has always been coy about the possibility of seeking the job, pointing out how much he enjoys being an MP. On Tuesday, the day after losing to New Democrat Robert Chisholm, Savage said he isn’t quite ready to think about city hall.

"Being an MP, for me, was such a privilege and a job I enjoyed," Savage said. "And you know what, I was good at it and it suited my family. My wife gave up her job so she could raise the family. That was the only thing I was looking at up until yesterday. And now today we’re looking at what’s next."

He said there is room for more vision at city hall.

"I’ve known for some time that there’s a large, significant group of people who think that Halifax can do better," Savage said. "We’ve got an awful lot going for us as a community here. I don’t think that we’ve been able to reach our potential."

Savage is the son of former Nova Scotia premier John Savage. The late John Savage was mayor of Dartmouth from 1985 to 1992.

Chisholm said Tuesday that Savage would make a good candidate.

"I’m sure he would," Chisholm said Tuesday. "Mike has several years now in politics. He’s a reasonable guy and he’s bright and he understands how important public service is, so if he decides that’s what he wants to do, I’m sure he’d do a great job."

That’s not an endorsement, though.

"If Mike Savage or anybody else decides to run for mayor, I wish them well, as I do for Peter Kelly," Chisholm said.

He was pulling down election signs Tuesday and looking forward to heading to Ottawa and meeting his new caucus colleagues, including a raft of relatively unknown individuals from Quebec.

Some new MPs are raising eyebrows, including an Ottawa bartender who speaks French poorly and a 19-year-old student.

Chisholm said it is good news that a 19-year-old student is going to be sitting in the House.

"I think that’s so exciting. That’s a good thing. He is going to bring that perspective to the table, which is very valuable. I think it’s all really good."

He said he is ready to stick up for Nova Scotia in caucus in case there is pressure from the huge Quebec caucus, for example, to reverse the party’s support for a federal loan guarantee for a subsea hydroelectric cable from Labrador to Nova Scotia.

"I’m certainly gonna be there, as a member of caucus, representing my constituency and the region that I’m from, and I bet you that’s probably what everybody else in caucus is going to be doing."

Defence Minister Peter MacKay was re-elected Monday in Central Nova with a healthy margin. MacKay is said to be hoping Prime Minister Stephen Harper will make him justice minister in his next cabinet.

( smaher@herald.ca)

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 12:59 AM
Salty Town

Barrington St. will have to work harder to attract retailers......

Sephora, Hollister to open in Halifax

By JOANN ALBERSTAT Business Reporter
Thu, May 5 - 4:54 AM
A pair of high-end retailers are poised to enter the Nova Scotia market this summer.

The Halifax Shopping Centre announced Wednesday that it has landed cosmetics chain Sephora and youth clothing retailer Hollister.

"It’s definitely a positive direction for us," Linda Townsend, the mall’s marketing manager, said in an interview.

"These retailers will be exclusive in the market. They’re first stores in Atlantic Canada."

Hollister Co., which is part of the American chain Abercrombie & Finch, will be opening its first location east of Ontario. The company has nine stores in Canada.

Sephora, a French company, has 25 stores in Canada, according to its website, from British Columbia to Quebec.

Both stores are scheduled to open in mid-August on the mall’s lower level. The Sephora location will be about 3,100 square feet and Hollister, 4,800 square feet.

The marketing manager said landing the chic retailers isn’t part of an overall plan to make the mall more high-end.

"I don’t think it’s necessarily that. But what we are trying to do is to deliver to our customers the retailers that are in demand elsewhere in Canada and in the United States."

Townsend said the mall hopes to attract more retailers of a similar calibre but she wouldn’t name any.

( jalberstat@herald.ca)

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 4:41 PM

10th Anniversary Carmichael Lecture

Topic: Managing Urban Sprawl and Smart Growth

Date: Thursday, May 12, 2011

Time: 6:00-8:00 pm

Location: Westin Nova Scotian Hotel, Atlantic Ballroom, 1181 Hollis Street

The Carmichael Lecture was created to honour DHBC’s former Executive Director, Kate Carmichael, and her passion for urban renewal. Invited lecturers speak on topics designed to inform and educate on key issues that create a thriving Downtown.

This year’s speakers David Donnelly and Bruce Lourie will discuss urban sprawl and how Halifax will balance the challenges of downtown revitalization, regional growth, transportation and environmental and economic sustainability in order to create positive growth. David Donnelly is an environmental lawyer, former Executive Director of the Environmental Defence Fund and is one of Canada’s leading environmental lawyers and advocates for smart growth. He has been an advisor to government on law and planning reform, including the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and Ontario Environmental Bill.

Bruce Lourie is co-author of the best selling book Slow Death by Rubber Duck: How the Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Life Affects Our Health. He is President of Ivey Foundation, a private charitable foundation in Canada, a Director of the Ontario Power Authority and a Director of the San Francisco-based Consultative Group on Biological Diversity. He is a member of the Ontario Premier's Climate Change Advisory Panel and has acted on numerous federal, provincial and municipal bodies advising on energy policy and climate issues.

They were both instrumental in establishing Greater Toronto's Greenbelt, which will have a major impact on how that city reinvigorates its downtown, resists sprawl, and protects its local food source. They will be here to challenge HRM on how it moves forward, and to actually embrace smart growth.

Source: www.downtownhalifax.ca

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 11:14 PM

From CBC

Dexter to protect Dartmouth Common
CBC News Posted: May 9, 2011 5:46 PM AT Last Updated: May 9, 2011 5:46 PM

The Dartmouth Common has been shrinking for years. CBCNova Scotia's government is taking steps to protect the Dartmouth Common.

The area was declared public green space in 1788, with 37 acres going to three Quaker families for common land and another 150 acres put in trust for the people of Dartmouth.

It now covers just 100 acres and Premier Darrell Dexter said Monday that legislation is needed to protect it, so he proposed giving the province veto power over any expansion on existing buildings on the common.

The legal amendment would allow for additional lighting or public washrooms, but ban any more parking lots. According to Halifax.ca, the Halifax Regional Municipality's official website, complaints about the shrinking common date back to 1844. Four years later, Windmill Road, School Street and Shore Road were built on common land.

More recently, Halifax Regional Municipality has approved a controversial six-acre, $12 million expansion of the Metro Transit bus terminal on the common, as well as an expansion of Dartmouth High.

There are also plans to expand the Dartmouth Sportsplex.

"I consider this an opportunity to put to rest some of the difficulties that have existed in the past," Dexter said.

HRM 'not properly consulted'
No officials from HRM attended Dexter's announcement. Liberal MLA Andrew Younger said that pointed to problems with the plan, which must be approved by the legislature.

"You saw no member of municipal council here, and there's a reason they weren't here. They weren't properly consulted on this, they weren't talked to about this and that's not the way you deal with municipalities," Younger said.

"Premier Dexter doesn't respect municipalities."

Younger said if passed, the amendment would mean that after 18 months of public consultation, plans for the sportsplex would now also have to win cabinet approval.

"Cabinet will now have a say in everything," he said, suggesting existing plans should have been exempt from the change.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 10:19 PM

Dexter's bill regarding the Commons stinks. It's a municipal park and not something the province should be involved in. It's so far outside their scope. What the Commons is used for should be a decision for HRM council and HRM council alone. Andrew Younger was also quite right to point out the hypocrisy of the NDP on this point (quote in the Hearld) as they're expanding the QEII on former Common land on the Halifax side. It reminds me of Rodney interferring to try and get Council's approval for Waterside Centre. It would seem that whoever is in power, the premier can't resist meddeling in HRM's affairs. I wish the province didn't take such a paternalistic attitude towards municipal affairs. It makes a mockery of local government.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 10:22 PM

Chronicle Herald Story

Dartmouth Common has a protector
Dexter takes green space under wing
By DAVID JACKSON Provincial Reporter
Tue, May 10 - 4:54 AM
The Dexter government wants to ensure Dartmouth Common lands are protected from development.

Premier Darrell Dexter himself on Monday explained changes to the Halifax Regional Municipality charter legislation that help define the Common’s boundaries within Boland Road, Victoria Road, Park Avenue and Halifax Harbour, and what can and can’t be done with Common lands.

The Common lands aren’t part of Dexter’s Dartmouth-Cole Harbour constituency. He was chairman of the Dartmouth Common committee when he was a Dartmouth city councillor in the 1990s and said Monday he still has an interest in the area.

"The idea is to simply secure the Common as a public open space for not just this generation but generations to come," Dexter said at Province House.

Current facilities could continue on the Common but approval from the provincial cabinet and Halifax regional council would be needed for expansion. When facilities are no longer required, the space would revert to a public open area.

The legislation would also allow the addition of certain amenities such as dugouts at a ball field or interpretive centres but would not allow new or expanded parking lots.

The legislation wouldn’t affect the development of a new transit terminal.

Coun. Gloria McCluskey (Dartmouth Centre), chairwoman of the Harbour East community council, said she supports protecting green space but Dexter’s plan goes too far.

"To me, he’s going overboard with this," she said.

McCluskey said parking lots in downtown Dartmouth and CN’s marshalling yard, which would be protected under the legislation, would be better suited for commercial development.

She said she’s also concerned with the future expansion of the Dartmouth Sportsplex, a project that would require provincial approval under the legislation.

"We would have to go over to the legislature and more or less beg for that. I’m not so sure it would happen. It really scares me," McCluskey said.

Liberal MLA Andrew Younger, the Dartmouth East MLA and a former regional councillor, said the province has a double standard for the Dartmouth and Halifax Commons.

He pointed out the province decided the Halifax site of the old Queen Elizabeth High School, now being demolished, would be used to expand the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre.

"What you have is a situation that where the municipality wants to do something in Dartmouth, it’s wrong, but when the province wants to do the same thing on Common land in Halifax, it’s OK," Younger said.

Halifax Mayor Peter Kelly said he supports the intent of the legislation but would like to see it address federal and private lands, too. He also shared McCluskey’s concern about prohibiting development on what are now parking lots.

McCluskey said she thinks the provincial legislation is on the agenda for tonight’s regional council meeting.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 12:50 AM

Agricola@West is now completed;

Yours truly

And nearby site on Maynard Street;

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 1:19 AM
Honored Member

It looks like a great design for Agricola.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 2:39 AM

I was walking by Humani-T Cafe today (that Gelato & Coffee Shop on the corner of Young & Agricola).

It looks like they've completely the patio seating.. It's pretty huge, I've attached a couple pictures... They haven't set up the furniture yet.

I'm glad these guys are doing well.. It's nice to see a local high-end cafe surviving well despite the opening of Starbucks in the Hydrostone. I'd assume it would be pretty sweet to eat some Gelato on that patio overlooking the Hydrostone.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 9:27 AM
Honored Member

Nice pictures, Haliwood. Here is the Streetview link to that building.

Is this a new building or a renovation of an older building?

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Nice pictures, Haliwood. Here is the Streetview link to that building.

Is this a new building or a renovation of an older building?
It's a renovation.

If anything, I think that Starbucks has increased business in the area. The customer niches aren't really the same, and now there are more options available to consumers. I frequent both places, and do so for different reasons.

Starbucks is a coffee shop - and it's hours provide options later in the evening. HumaniTea/Super Natural is a natural food store and cafe with great freshly made food options. Julien's short hours and terrible coffees don't encourage much in the way of lingering (for me anyway), but some of their pastries, and all of their breads are great.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 1:25 AM

The site for the 4 storey apartment building at 222 Portland Street:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth