HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I still think the decision to square off the formerly rounded bits have resulted in a dramatically more attractive massing.

There are a lot of clashing cladding materials, however: two distinct kinds of brick veneer, faux wood, and that awful faux stone. It's overly busy at ground level.

I think they said they were also going to use some salvaged materials from the former church building, perhaps stone blocks, or stained glass windows.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 8:23 PM

Quote:
I still think the decision to square off the formerly rounded bits have resulted in a dramatically more attractive massing.

There are a lot of clashing cladding materials, however: two distinct kinds of brick veneer, faux wood, and that awful faux stone. It's overly busy at ground level.
It's not awful faux stone... it's real stone that was salvaged from the original church. Personally I think the building is beautiful. One of the nicest new developments on the peninsula.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
It's not awful faux stone... it's real stone that was salvaged from the original church. Personally I think the building is beautiful. One of the nicest new developments on the peninsula.
Is it? admittedly is I've only looked at it from a few metres away, not up close.

Anyway, it's a decent building, but I think "beautiful" is a pretty grand word for it...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 1:11 AM

I had forgotten that this is a rental building, not condos. According to their website, all but 9 units of the 108 total have been rented. Occupancy is said to be January or February of 2017 though that sounds optimistic to me. Nevertheless I am surprised they are almost fully rented, presumably with deposits, at this stage.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 11:01 PM

I'm not that surprised those units are all rented. Where else can you rent a townhouse unit in a new building? They are few and far between.

20160825_145045 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:

I like the massing.

I like the faux wood - FOR NOW... we'll see how it ages.

The faux stone is horrifying - the product is not that nice and I don't understand the design decisions about how/where to apply it. If it's real stone, salvaged from the original, more the pity that they couldn't make it feel more meaningful.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 9:20 PM

The crane came down this weekend.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I'm not that surprised those units are all rented. Where else can you rent a townhouse unit in a new building? They are few and far between
It's a great building. I've visited the rental office and the interiors are going to be stunning. Extremely high end and modern. As nice or nicer than any of the new condos being built. The rent isn't cheap though. Start are $1335 and parking adds another $110. A bit to pricey for me as a single guy. Also they only do term leases... meaning you can't go month-to-month when your lease is up. You have to either leave or lease for another full year.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
The faux stone is horrifying - the product is not that nice and I don't understand the design decisions about how/where to apply it. If it's real stone, salvaged from the original, more the pity that they couldn't make it feel more meaningful.
Again. It's real. It's from St Joseph's church which used to occupy the site. I live around the corner from this development and have lived here for 10 years... so I know. It's real stone. You can debate how it looks... but it's not fake. I do think mayber there are one too many cladding materials but overall I think this building is fantastic. The massing with all the bump outs and the combination of commercial and townhouses on the lower l2 levels... really great. Especially compared to most of the absolute trash in the area like the 5 year old apartment building kitty corner to this one. And the IMP run Hydrostone condos behind the brewery. And North Point. Ugg. What a disaster that thing is.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 5:29 PM

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Again. It's real. It's from St Joseph's church which used to occupy the site. I live around the corner from this development and have lived here for 10 years... so I know. It's real stone. You can debate how it looks... but it's not fake. I do think mayber there are one too many cladding materials but overall I think this building is fantastic. The massing with all the bump outs and the combination of commercial and townhouses on the lower l2 levels... really great. Especially compared to most of the absolute trash in the area like the 5 year old apartment building kitty corner to this one. And the IMP run Hydrostone condos behind the brewery. And North Point. Ugg. What a disaster that thing is.
I believe you that the stone is real... Still don't like how it looks in this application. Perhaps has to do with the overall number of materials on the exterior as you've noted.

A have to agree that the massing is great. Others on here have bemoaned it feeling squat or truncated... having walked past several times now, I have to say I think it meets the street nicely and has a decent amount of articulation on the exterior... overall, I think the height works and it doesn't need to be any taller, just for taller's sake.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
A have to agree that the massing is great. Others on here have bemoaned it feeling squat or truncated... having walked past several times now, I have to say I think it meets the street nicely and has a decent amount of articulation on the exterior... overall, I think the height works and it doesn't need to be any taller, just for taller's sake.

Being taller would have yielded more units which would have yielded more revenue which could have allowed part of that to be invested in better design, materials or amenities. Instead we have another sawed-off stubby building.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Being taller would have yielded more units which would have yielded more revenue which could have allowed part of that to be invested in better design, materials or amenities. Instead we have another sawed-off stubby building.
I doubt the developer would use the potential for increased future revenue as an excuse for "better" design.

In my opinion, the "stubby" building relates pretty well to the building across Gottingen and the schools close by. I think the massing and articulation work well as a whole.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 2:49 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143634414@N05/29814368362

St Joseph's Square can easily be seen from the harbour....look's good!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 10:54 PM

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 7:17 PM

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 10:02 PM

The ground level of this project is turning out very nicely.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:06 PM

The public art portion of this project has started installation on Kaye Street. It will feature stained glass windows salvaged from the church in honour of Halifax Explosion victims.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 8:50 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Drove by this today and it is on an angle. Is this going to be straightened out and also, will it be attached to the building?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Drove by this today and it is on an angle. Is this going to be straightened out and also, will it be attached to the building?
I think the plan was it would lean over the sidewalk.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth