HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
I'm going to refrain from talking about Mesa since I don't feel informed enough to reply, but there was one larger point I did want to mention:

Whatever you think of conservatives as a whole or their recent causes like the Tea Party, there are some conservative ideas that actually really help cities and should be given a second look:

The current urban revival would decidedly not have happened if crime rates had remained high which was fought by much more law and order attitudes by city administrations (Broken Windows)

Urban school systems might benefit more from charter schools, ending teacher tenure and in the most extreme cases, vouchers.

City governments should rethink generous pension and compensation packages for employees and practice better fiscal management to provide more services as well as make cities more fiscally attractive.

I'm not here to sing the praises of the Tea Party or somehow advocate cutting everything left and right, but a measure of open-mindedness towards some conservative ideas may not be worst thing in the world.
"Law and order" as a policy idea essentially meant locking up as many black males as possible, not to mention stopping and searching them for merely walking down a street. And the "drug war" was an aspect of this, along with the grotesque "three strikes" laws. As marijuana legalization sweeps the country, let's hope this "conservative idea" dies a richly deserved death.

The animus of conservatives to urban America cannot be wished away as merely policy differences. The bedrock of modern conservatism is, I dare say, racism. Barack Obama has endured three times as many death threats during his presidency as any other modern president. Voter suppression laws are a "conservative idea" that is so toxic as to be obscene. To watch a few minutes of Fox News (or listen to a few seconds of Rush Limbaugh) drives this point home: conservatives regard blacks as "others" who are neither truly American nor worthy of basic human dignity.

As far as "fiscal management", starving the government is another "conservative idea". It's holy writ on the right along with perpetual tax cuts for the rich. But you don't manage a modern advanced economy with loony-tunes economic theories. There is no other advanced nation on this planet emulating us (although Great Britain would if David Cameron could get away with it).

Great cities are liberal for a reason (just as Mesa is conservative for a reason): the world doesn't respect tribal politics based on race and religion. Cities are liberal because interdependence and cosmopolitanism are the currency of advanced nations. Nostalgia for Mayberry is a recipe for also-ran status, as so many conservative cities show.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 4:12 PM

In other democracies Conservatives actually win seats in the inner cities of major metropolis's, and when they engage in urban issues they actually have a lot to contribute to the discussion.

There's an element of outreach there unlike appealing to a base, and shafting everyone else and cities, and hoping that your base turns out enough to gain a win, and then continue to shaft everyone and everywhere else afterwards.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 8:17 PM
BANNED

I'm chortling at the demonization of the other in this thread. Tribalism, indeed.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonjokegetter View Post
I'm chortling at the demonization of the other in this thread. Tribalism, indeed.
What do you mean by "demonization of the other"? Other what?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 3:00 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
The number that matters is minutes, not miles. Travel is cheap, time is not.

A home is the most expensive thing most people will ever buy. They should be picky. The worst part about many of the homes that have been built over the last 60 years is that by the time they are on their 6th or 7th owner, the next person in line would rather choose something else. But that's so far in the future that builders and the first buyer don't have any reason to care.
My qualm is not about them being picky, to the contrary I am picky as well just for reasons different than them, that was my point. Someone like me is picky about location but is willing to sacrifice square footage, yard size and newness whereas they are picky about square footage and yard size and newness of the house and they are willing to sacrifice location. Liberals tend to be the former and conservatives tend to be the latter with exceptions of course. Also travel really is not cheap with rising gas prices and other costs of car ownership; public transportation won't always save you time but it almost always will save you money and large urban cities have the infrastructure to make it economic and practical.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 8:01 AM
Administrator

I sincerely hope everyone's getting their panties all unknotted real good.

I thought that most of you longtime members had matured into adults by now.

Jeebus, if you people don't stop with the parochial chest thumping BS, the moderation team can bring back the Romper Room Rules in just 3 easy steps... Open File > Copy/Paste > You're Fucked

A little venting at times can be refreshing, I'm certainly a fan myself... But as always this forum exists to inform and enlighten, NOT to host this verbal turf war between urban nerds bullshit! No wonder this place is such a sausage fest.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 11:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
What do you mean by "demonization of the other"? Other what?
There's more "rah! rah! sisk boom bah! liberals!" here than at an Elizabeth Warren dinner party. Slowly getting used to it, but it's still funny.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 1:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I prob haven't been on SSP long enough to know but, what are the Romper Room Rules? I don't get it?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 11:07 PM
Administrator

That's where the mods treated this forum like a day care, even more than we already do to maintain some semblance of order. That was several years ago now.

The forum is certainly more orderly that way, but the mods wind up being stuck being the dicks who have to keep order, instead being a bit more like people encouraging constructive discussion and maintaining longterm informative threads (like construction progress threads).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Whatever you think of conservatives as a whole or their recent causes like the Tea Party, there are some conservative ideas that actually really help cities and should be given a second look:

The current urban revival would decidedly not have happened if crime rates had remained high which was fought by much more law and order attitudes by city administrations (Broken Windows)

Urban school systems might benefit more from charter schools, ending teacher tenure and in the most extreme cases, vouchers.

City governments should rethink generous pension and compensation packages for employees and practice better fiscal management to provide more services as well as make cities more fiscally attractive.

I'm not here to sing the praises of the Tea Party or somehow advocate cutting everything left and right, but a measure of open-mindedness towards some conservative ideas may not be worst thing in the world.
LAW AND ORDER: Conservative mayors, when you control for poverty rates, race, and a host of other variables, don't have better records than liberal mayors on crime. Point in case: Baltimore has had nothing but liberal mayors for the past two decades as crime has dropped to less than half what it was in the 1980s. Indianapolis, a city that has had a mix of conservative and liberal mayors (mostly Republicans), has seen a crime increase since the 1980s. Additionally, is the drop in crime in cities experiencing an urban renaissance the result of said investments, or did lower crime LEAD to more investment? In most American cities, the investment and revitalization happened and THEN crime dropped as neighborhoods became less racially/economically segregated and poverty rates dropped.

URBAN SCHOOOLS: Milwaukee was one of the first cities in the country to enthusiastically implement charter schools in the early 1990s. Now here we are, almost a quarter century later, and their urban schools are performing WORSE than they were before charter schools. Study after study shows that charter schools don't outperform traditional public schools. Study after study shows that weakening teacher's unions, ending teacher tenure, and implementing stick-and-carrot incentives like merit pay that treat teachers like trained dogs don't lead to any improvement in student performance, either. There is only one factor that tracks students's academic performance when controlled for every single variable: the income of the child's parents. Lower poverty ALWAYS equals better-performing schools, in every county, in every state, and in every country. Everything else we're doing to our schools is cosmetic at best and harmful at worst. Regarding teacher tenure in particular, it exists for a reason. Teachers have a great responsibility on their shoulders and many, many decisions they must make that cannot possibly make everyone happy. Like a judge in the court system, they often have to choose what is right (or what is legal) over what is popular, and tenure is sometimes the only protection they have to make these decisions independently and without conflicts of interest. Not to mention the complete lack of evidence that ending teacher tenure has any positive effect whatsoever on students. It never ceases to amuse me how many of my conservative friends decry the lack of discipline in today's public schools while simultaneously support removing the one tool (teacher tenure) that protects the ability of teachers to ENFORCE such discipline in their classrooms.

CITY EMPLOYEES: Pension and compensation packages for city employees is a difficult issue, and many of these generous packages were negotiated and set in stone during a time when cities were expecting to continue to be able to annex outlying lands to broaden their tax base. They were also growing in population and did not anticipate white flight that would cause their fiscal resources to dry up. Probably the best solution to this problem is to consolidate many of these municipal jobs into regional positions covering multiple cities in any given area under one department. This has the double effect of both securing a more stable and predictable tax base to fund these positions and streamlining excess government jobs that are created when many small towns have duplicate positions only serving a small population. If conservatives actually cared about smaller government, this would be a no-brainer, but most of them don't; they care a lot more about facilitating segregation and ensuring the more fortunate members of society can wall themselves off from everybody else to hoard resources for themselves.

It wasn't mentioned in the above post, but we are neglecting to discuss the #1 cause of disinvestment in American cities: free trade and supply-side economics. This double whammy has done more to facilitate the loss of jobs from American urban centers than anything else possibly could. The fiscal woes of Detroit and Cleveland did not happen absent the federal policies we have embraced to allow gigantic corporations to consolidate into behemoths that stifle competition, trim millions of jobs, and ship many of the remaining ones overseas thanks to corporate-friendly trade policies that shaft America in order to help companies rake in record profits that never make it back into the hands of 99% of American citizens.

We've been "open-minded" to these conservative policies for decades, and with disastrous results. It's time to dump them in favor of what has been proven to work better in the past, along with a pragmatic approach to today's changing economic scene.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad635 View Post
LAW AND ORDER: Conservative mayors, when you control for poverty rates, race, and a host of other variables, don't have better records than liberal mayors on crime. Point in case: Baltimore has had nothing but liberal mayors for the past two decades as crime has dropped to less than half what it was in the 1980s. Indianapolis, a city that has had a mix of conservative and liberal mayors (mostly Republicans), has seen a crime increase since the 1980s. Additionally, is the drop in crime in cities experiencing an urban renaissance the result of said investments, or did lower crime LEAD to more investment? In most American cities, the investment and revitalization happened and THEN crime dropped as neighborhoods became less racially/economically segregated and poverty rates dropped.

URBAN SCHOOOLS: Milwaukee was one of the first cities in the country to enthusiastically implement charter schools in the early 1990s. Now here we are, almost a quarter century later, and their urban schools are performing WORSE than they were before charter schools. Study after study shows that charter schools don't outperform traditional public schools. Study after study shows that weakening teacher's unions, ending teacher tenure, and implementing stick-and-carrot incentives like merit pay that treat teachers like trained dogs don't lead to any improvement in student performance, either. There is only one factor that tracks students's academic performance when controlled for every single variable: the income of the child's parents. Lower poverty ALWAYS equals better-performing schools, in every county, in every state, and in every country. Everything else we're doing to our schools is cosmetic at best and harmful at worst. Regarding teacher tenure in particular, it exists for a reason. Teachers have a great responsibility on their shoulders and many, many decisions they must make that cannot possibly make everyone happy. Like a judge in the court system, they often have to choose what is right (or what is legal) over what is popular, and tenure is sometimes the only protection they have to make these decisions independently and without conflicts of interest. Not to mention the complete lack of evidence that ending teacher tenure has any positive effect whatsoever on students. It never ceases to amuse me how many of my conservative friends decry the lack of discipline in today's public schools while simultaneously support removing the one tool (teacher tenure) that protects the ability of teachers to ENFORCE such discipline in their classrooms.

CITY EMPLOYEES: Pension and compensation packages for city employees is a difficult issue, and many of these generous packages were negotiated and set in stone during a time when cities were expecting to continue to be able to annex outlying lands to broaden their tax base. They were also growing in population and did not anticipate white flight that would cause their fiscal resources to dry up. Probably the best solution to this problem is to consolidate many of these municipal jobs into regional positions covering multiple cities in any given area under one department. This has the double effect of both securing a more stable and predictable tax base to fund these positions and streamlining excess government jobs that are created when many small towns have duplicate positions only serving a small population. If conservatives actually cared about smaller government, this would be a no-brainer, but most of them don't; they care a lot more about facilitating segregation and ensuring the more fortunate members of society can wall themselves off from everybody else to hoard resources for themselves.

It wasn't mentioned in the above post, but we are neglecting to discuss the #1 cause of disinvestment in American cities: free trade and supply-side economics. This double whammy has done more to facilitate the loss of jobs from American urban centers than anything else possibly could. The fiscal woes of Detroit and Cleveland did not happen absent the federal policies we have embraced to allow gigantic corporations to consolidate into behemoths that stifle competition, trim millions of jobs, and ship many of the remaining ones overseas thanks to corporate-friendly trade policies that shaft America in order to help companies rake in record profits that never make it back into the hands of 99% of American citizens.

We've been "open-minded" to these conservative policies for decades, and with disastrous results. It's time to dump them in favor of what has been proven to work better in the past, along with a pragmatic approach to today's changing economic scene.
First off, I want to applaud you for giving a thoughtful, respectful, and engaging response. I expected the worst, but thank you for not resorting to ad homier attacks.

First, there is no reasonable person who would disagree with you that increased investment and a focus on economic/social integration definitely reduce the social alienation that contributes to crime, but it is also true that proactive policing and a focus on enforcing quality of life issues in the public sphere help to reduce crime as well. Don't get me wrong, police abuses such as those seen in Ferguson, MO and NYC are completely unacceptable and most conservatives agree. However, we do need a proactive police department focused on enforcing QOL crimes and doing the needed patrolling to keep urban areas safe. I'm not saying your wrong, but we're both right.

Second, just like the above, you're absolutely right that poverty is a massive headwind to educational attainment and it does need to be remedied via early childhood education, smaller class sizes and more after school activities. However, we should consider the judicious use of charter schools in cases where the mainstream public school system has failed to adjust to student needs. Nowhere did I say charter schools or vouchers are a full-stop solution to all that plagues urban school systems, but they can be *part* of the solution.

Third, this is the one issue where I do break sharply to the "right". Okay, no one is saying public employees should be paid minimum wage, and again, you are right that we do need to encourage more county and metropolitan wide governmental organizations, but I'm sorry, there's no excuse for some of the incessant whining and exorbitant compensation packages public employees make. Here in Philadelphia, the Philadelphia public school system is in a massive hole, and many things, not just employee compensation, has brought us here. However, upon the suggestion that employees should pay 5% of their healthcare costs, we are now declaring a "War on Teachers".

Let's be frank here, if you put everything else aside for a moment, I don't see the justification why the public sector should somehow play by a different economic playbook than the rest of us. Even many countries in Northern Europe have flexible unions that understand if organized labor is to have any future in industrialized societies it needs to work with management and understand that some things that might have worked in the past don't cut it anymore. Forget arguments about tax breaks and look at it this way: think of how much more money would be freed up for schools, public transit, healthcare etc....

Again, there are good ideas and perhaps not-so-good ideas that come from all points on the political spectrum. My main point is not to turn this thread into a back-and-fourth on individual policy points, but to say that there are conservatives out there who do want to see cities succeed and do have something to add to the conversation. Not to point fingers or create a firestorm, but SSP has a very bad habit of shutting down certain "viewpoints" or looking down on certain cities that don't conform to a certain ideal. It's unrealistic to expect the American public to somehow wake up one morning and embrace Paris-style urbanism wholesale and calling them a bunch of hicks or racists because we urbanizing slower than some would like doesn't help. I can't tell you how many times someone from say Atlanta or Dallas points out a positive (...if very incremental) move towards more urban and sustainable living only to be pooped on because they didn't bulldoze everything and turn Plano, TX into the next Greenwich Village. Patience is a virtue.

Oh, and to add...as far as free trade is concerned, it's not going away. If it wasn't that, it'd be technological advancement knocking out jobs. "Bringing back the Factories" is a scam because even if you did, you'd only need 10-20% of the people to pump out the same raw tonnage of products. I'm not going to render a verdict on wither this is right or wrong or dive deep into this subject. I just want to say this is a phenomenon cities cannot control. It's like Buffalo saying we'd only be more prosperous if we had the same weather as Miami. Oh well.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
Great cities are liberal for a reason (just as Mesa is conservative for a reason): the world doesn't respect tribal politics based on race and religion. Cities are liberal because interdependence and cosmopolitanism are the currency of advanced nations. Nostalgia for Mayberry is a recipe for also-ran status, as so many conservative cities show.
As a New Yorker and a liberal, this statement really leapt out at me. Tribal politics based on race and religion, unfortunately, factor way more here than they should. Our Democratic State Assembly leader, a politician from the Lower East Side named Sheldon Silver, famously blocked thousands of units of housing in his neighborhood because it would dilute the "Jewish character" (read: Chinese and Puerto Ricans would move in). This obvious racist is still the leader of the State Assembly. The Italian-American boss of the Brooklyn Democratic Party, Vito Lopez, made a crooked no-bid deal with some Hasidic groups to develop state-subsidized housing that was geared exclusively toward Hasidic tenants. To drive the point home, the apartments were advertised only in Yiddish-language newspapers! Thankfully a judge found the deal to be a blatant violation of the federal Fair Housing Act. But now the site is in limbo. And every discussion about new housing or rezoning in Brooklyn neighborhoods such as Bed-Stuy, Bushwick, or Crown Heights seems to be riven with either dog-whistle or explicit racial language about "gentrifiers." It's a disgrace and an embarassment that these sort of politicians suffer no consequences and still "represent" us in government.

I will also say that we can't ignore the detrimental effect that public sector unions have on government's ability to provide the things that we, as progressives, thing the government ought to provide: mass transit and social services. The relatively few, unionized employees of the MTA, for instance, benefit at the expense of the (generally) low-income subway-riding public of NYC. It's not to say that we should seek congestion pricing and other funding sources to bolster the MTA's finances, but the absurd work rules, wages, and benefits of the union employees undermine the legitimacy of seeking more funding. It's fair for people to wonder where all the money we spend on the MTA is going now. Our stations are filthy, service is often unreliable...so where is the money going? It gives the anti-transit crowd fodder for saying mass transit is inefficient, a boondoggle, etc. From cities like Hong Kong, we know transit can be efficient and well-run. Hell, even cities like Stockholm have much lower transit capital costs than New York.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:54 PM

Slicing and dicing everything down to the terms "liberal" and "conservative" does a disservice to the subject. Publications such as these are largely just about rousing attention to get readers, thus more ad clicks or selling of the paper product if its still in circulation.

You hear these dumbed-down arguments repeatedly when conservatives shoot across the bow and say "liberal" cities like Detroit were destroyed by their politics, when in reality capitalism is what destroyed those cities and voting is largely a response to the very capitalist principles that built the city up to begin with. Detroit couldn't be more of a capitalist city, it isn't a capital and therefore there is not a government center with stable government jobs. The government is purely local and must rely on the local economy entirely, and the capitalist local economy of Detroit is what failed it - not the government. And this all totally ignores the large Republican population in regional suburbs or other areas, or the race factor, or a million other factors. But this "liberal" or "conservative" city argument still gets put forth time and time again.

Likewise, a lot of people congregate and move to successful cities, some are liberal leaning, some are conservative leaning. By all accounts, the areas with the highest disposable average income where its rich and wealthy are very liberal: San Francisco, NYC, etc. In many of these areas its not the city center that is liberal, but the entire region. You can go into any corner of SF Bay and its almost entirely liberal voting, and most areas are well above the national average and very, very wealthy.

You can find successful cities that are both conservative and liberal, you can find depressed economic situations in cities that vote both ways. Many Republican towns in the south aren't wealthy, for example.

These silly political arguments don't hold a lot of water. To understand issues that surround a city or local economy, you have to press beyond these stupid arguments and look at the real issues.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 6:32 PM

Quote:
However, we do need a proactive police department focused on enforcing QOL crimes and doing the needed patrolling to keep urban areas safe. I'm not saying your wrong, but we're both right.
Sure. However the TYPE of patrolling and the METHODS of law enforcement vary greatly. The militarization of our nation's police forces is driven by the classical conservative mindset that obedience to authority and punishment of bad behavior are at the core of how societies function. Most crime-reduction success stories throughout history, however, are the result of lowering poverty through social programs, connecting and engaging the community, and policing techniques that encourage law enforcement to be better connected to the citizens they serve AS HUMAN BEINGS. I hate to be so blunt, but we have the numbers to show that the kinds of solutions conservatives propose for issues of crime are much less effective than other solutions on the table.

Quote:
Nowhere did I say charter schools or vouchers are a full-stop solution to all that plagues urban school systems, but they can be *part* of the solution.
The problem with this is that the data coming in year after year shows that charter schools don't make a difference at all, on the whole. They cost more, they have higher employee turnover, they don't have to accept every student that applies (so if we went completely over to charter schools it would mean the end of universally-accessible public education), and they often squander resources on trendy quick fixes. But I'll re-focus this to the most important fact: if charter schools don't outperform their traditional counterparts, then they aren't part of the solution. And they don't. Ditto vouchers. Poor urban kids who go to private schools have virtually the same chance of going to college as kids who go to urban public schools. And vouchers cost WAY more than sending that kid to a public school. And using vouchers funded by taxpayers to send children to religious schools opens up huge problems with church/state separation.

Quote:
Here in Philadelphia, the Philadelphia public school system is in a massive hole, and many things, not just employee compensation, has brought us here. However, upon the suggestion that employees should pay 5% of their healthcare costs, we are now declaring a "War on Teachers".
They don't have this problem in countries with single-payer healthcare. That's one of the quickest ways to rid municipalities of a giant chunk of these exorbitant compensation packages. Most of the funding shortages aren't coming from direct pension commitments, they're coming from paying for the healthcare of retired and aging former public employees. Universal healthcare, preferably single-payer, would get us way more than halfway toward alleviating this problem.

Quote:
Even many countries in Northern Europe have flexible unions that understand if organized labor is to have any future in industrialized societies it needs to work with management and understand that some things that might have worked in the past don't cut it anymore.
Those countries have flexible unions that work better with employers because their labor laws are more union-friendly and require greater transparency and accountability from union leadership. We don't have that in the US since the War on Labor waged by the right wing has been a 2-pronged attack of 1. bust unions up, and 2. help to shape the remaining ones into corrupt entities that will turn Americans off to the very IDEA of organized labor. In fact, the very reason that so many labor unions are so bad is that they are too top-down and rely on right-wing ideas about giving too much power to authorities at the top. Unions themselves need to be rife with democratic ideals and ownership by the rank-and-file.

Quote:
Not to point fingers or create a firestorm, but SSP has a very bad habit of shutting down certain "viewpoints" or looking down on certain cities that don't conform to a certain ideal.
I am not SSP. I am me. And I am trying to have a civil discussion. Hope I'm doing alright.

Quote:
It's unrealistic to expect the American public to somehow wake up one morning and embrace Paris-style urbanism wholesale and calling them a bunch of hicks or racists because we urbanizing slower than some would like doesn't help. I can't tell you how many times someone from say Atlanta or Dallas points out a positive (...if very incremental) move towards more urban and sustainable living only to be pooped on because they didn't bulldoze everything and turn Plano, TX into the next Greenwich Village. Patience is a virtue.
No need to use the Appeal to Emotion in this discussion. I don't care who has called who names. That's not me. I simply enjoy discussing urban issues objectively and avoiding the logical fallacies that too many people who debate seem to know nothing about whatsoever (not pointing the finger at you, just in general).

Quote:
Oh, and to add...as far as free trade is concerned, it's not going away. If it wasn't that, it'd be technological advancement knocking out jobs. "Bringing back the Factories" is a scam because even if you did, you'd only need 10-20% of the people to pump out the same raw tonnage of products. I'm not going to render a verdict on wither this is right or wrong or dive deep into this subject. I just want to say this is a phenomenon cities cannot control. It's like Buffalo saying we'd only be more prosperous if we had the same weather as Miami. Oh well.
I'm not against free trade as a general concept. I was very specific in my analysis that the kinds of free trade agreements the United States has gotten into have caused many of these problems. We've handled free trade much differently than say South Korea or Germany. And clearly they're doing a better job of negotiating it than we have because they've had more intestinal fortitude to stand up to multinational corporations who don't care about any specific country so much as they treasure their own bottom line.

Jeremy Rifkin has written some fascinating stuff about how technological advancement actually creates as many jobs as it eliminates. I'd recommend his new book "The Zero Marginal Cost Society."

As for a solution to the ravages of free trade, none of them are easy. The one I'd like to see happen is the US government to shift a lot of it's pro-business focus toward helping Worker Self-Directed Enterprises form and grow to take up a larger share of the economy. The WSDE won't ship its production overseas because when workers themselves are making the decision about where the jobs should go, they tend to keep those jobs for themselves. WSDEs would also solve many environmental problems since workers have to breathe the air and drink the water near where they work. and it's probably the best way to address our catastrophic wealth inequality problem since taxing the rich doesn't really work.

You're right to point out that cities can't effect this. It involves national policy. Cities can help themselves by encouraging more WSDEs to locate within their borders. They can also stop bankrupting themselves giving perks, tax breaks and corporate welfare to companies in exchange for empty promises to create jobs in their cities. A recent book that explains how much government money is wasted on these incentives is the book "Free Lunch" by David Cay Johnston. It's really obscene how much cities spend to basically whore out to companies in exchange for some jobs. A few cases from the book show cities paying companies over $1 million per year per job. What a waste of money that could better be spend re-paving roads or buying new desks for school children.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 10:34 PM
Khan

This thread makes the Canada subforum look like a kibbutz.

That said, and in the spirit of Canadian Jewish communalism, would anyone consider Calgary as a "conservative city success story"?
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 10:40 PM
Khan

^ That question does illustrate the two parts of this whole exercise: (1) what is a conservative city?; and (2) what is a successful city?
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 10:16 PM

@StrongBad365

You've been very engaging, thoughtful and respectful. My comments were general and reflect some attitudes I've witnessed over the years. We don't have to agree, but we should be respectful. I hope I've been the same towards you.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 3:51 PM

Quote:
@StrongBad365

You've been very engaging, thoughtful and respectful. My comments were general and reflect some attitudes I've witnessed over the years. We don't have to agree, but we should be respectful. I hope I've been the same towards you.
Absolutely. It's nice to have a real conversation without name-calling and emotionalized responses.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Isn't Tempe already well on its way to being the Phoenix area's "second city?" It's already a major business, education and recreation node and a true regional destination.
Well it is important.. perhaps 3rd in the metro. The fact is that Tempe is already hemmed in by other cities and reservations. Its size and population will not be changing greatly. However, north Tempe is under going impressive densification right now! Thanks to ASU and the light rail, there are an amazing amount of residential and office projects going up. Of course, the increase in population is mostly students and some professionals... so there is tension between the residents and the increase in prices due to all of the "rich student condos"! An issue I am pulled between.

In reality, fflint, I think Scottsdale currently is, and will be, Phoenix's second city (regardless of Mesa). That is the place that is well known, the place that people travel to, has lots of money, and the place that major corporations are headquarted and based. Tempe has a major university but it is not even close to the corporate center Scottsdale is. (Scottsdale may actually have more major corporations than Phoenix). Also it still has land area to grow. (although not much, It is hemmed in by Phoenix to the west, Tempe to the south, and a Reservation to the east. It is going to the north, but there are old small towns( now expensive exurbs) to the north.

As for Mesa-well I guess I missed this thread. I was in downtown Mesa today, in fact. In terms of success stories we wouldn't consider it that on this forum. As people have mentioned it is a city divided by East and West. The west side is low-income and has a large hispanic population. The east side is middle to upper-middle class and is known for its large mormon population.

The one thing about Mesa is that the western side has an unbelievable amount of abandoned and half abandoned shopping centers and strip malls. I can't think of anywhere else in the Phoenix area that looks as run down. But apparently if you have standard middle-class to upper-middle class suburban neighborhoods on the east side of the city you are a city success story?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 10:40 PM

Phoenix is a great area..love to live there

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions